NFL Division 1 - 2020

Started by thejuice, January 07, 2020, 12:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Quote from: yellowcard on February 03, 2020, 10:52:38 AM
I thought the Mayo sending off was harsh but not really surprising. It's part of the sanitising of gaelic football that has been taking place year on year. It's long past the stage of being a physical contact sport where yellow cards are now doled out for fairly trivial personal fouls and in the process bringing down the threshold for what is deemed a red card offence. Colm O'Rourke could now be in bother with RTE after making a fairly throwaway remark about pansy boys as the PC brigade come out in force to attack him. Given RTEs recent propensity for political correctness it wouldn't surprise me if he too now faces the axe. 
very much people looking for offence , a pansy boy to is a soft mummys boy who goes down howling at the slightest touch ie. a tiernan McCann ytpe , nothing to do with Homosexuality
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

An Fhairche Abu

There's a bit too much backslapping elsewhere online from Galway people about the return to playing good football in a match that we lost and should have won, Kerry were down some key men like O'Shea, Morley, O'Sullivan and Moran as well so no point in getting carried away with what was ultimately a loss to a Kerry team not at full tilt.
Some fans taking the usual plámás/bullshit from Kerry about "traditional football" - while they've undeservedly mugged Galway for two points - as some sort of meaningful compliment is a mentality we could do without, Kerry don't care a jot what way they have to play the game once they win.

And there's nothing surer than Kerry won that game Saturday when they shouldn't have even got a draw out of it, while it is only the league how many times do we see Kerry or Kilkenny win matches they have absolutely no right to on the balance of play? They are ruthless winners but also have an inner belief from all the years of expecting to win every match. For Galway in both codes it's very much the opposite, to beat the likes of them by the bare minimum point we seem to have to play to the level of a 5 or 6 points better team. Galway were about a 3/4 point better team overall on Saturday and still lost.
Galway football needs to get in the habit of seeing out matches like that, while much of this is down to experience, situational preparation has to come into it as well. We know that Dublin account for these specific match situations in training with the team a man down chasing a score, 13 on 15 defending a lead, etc.
Surely Joyce will take this hard lesson and get Galway to try and adapt better to those game management situations at the end of matches, we still have to remember I suppose that it's a sharp learning curve for the man in charge as well no matter how good or bad he'll turn out as a manager, there's very little previous experience there.
I was happy to hear him come straight out after the match and say that it was our own fault as Galway had more than enough chances, that we were the better team and it was Galway losing rather than Kerry winning, because he is correct on all counts. While some are wary of his bullishness so far in terms of some of his statements, personally I think it's refreshing to hear a manager just come out and call it like it is, he has a winning mentality and that's what the Galway players need to genuinely believe themselves to get to the top.

While a good performance would been taken beforehand and Galway were thankfully very competitive, there's a huge amount of improvement and things to clean up from that match and also the Monaghan game.
The amount of high, aimless balls pumped into the forwards at times was bizarre, hospital passes is the correct term. While it's great that we are now trying to get the ball into the scoring zone as quickly as possible, when the ball genuinely isn't on at all, there's no point basically just kicking it away which happened more than it should have the last day.
The balance of trying to successfully defend the opposition while more numbers stay up front isn't quite there yet either. Kerry got in easily enough for a number of their chances, particularly in the first half so there's plenty of improvement needed in keeping the score down.
Kickouts still have a long way to go as well.

The single biggest thing that needs to improve though is the finishing, the approach play at times has been a joy to watch but the end result must be a score.
Galway lost a game they should have won and the main reason is the exact same problem that cost Galway umpteen times under Kevin Walsh as well, this lack of execution in front of the posts.
Laid bare the litany of misses from the match in the first half alone is simply not good enough:
Ó Laoi from a mark - no pressure and about 30 yards out, hopelessly kicked high up into the air;
Michael Daly dragged a good chance across the goal with a poor shot, need to hit the target at least;
Shane Walsh bad wide from play:
Shane Walsh mark on the 21, a handy kick that he should have nailed instead of putting just wide on the near post;
Ó Laoi goal chance which should have been stuck, at this level they need to be basically gimmes;
Great Comer goal chance from a high ball in where he didn't connect with his shot at all through a combination of losing his footing and being pulled by the Kerry player.

Even the first score of the game for Galway from Comer should have been into the back of the net instead of over the bar. People are raving about the turnaround in approach and about the quality of the forwards but until that Galway team starts consistently hitting a conversion rate that approaches what Dublin usually get, they will still lose games no matter what playing system is employed. Moving forward hitting only 6/16 chances, as in the first half in Tralee, simply isn't going to cut it.
Shot selection plays a key role here as well and the likes of the low percentage chance that Heaney took with the outside of the boot in the second half which never got near the goal and sailed wide, has to be stamped out. Even the huge point that McDaid scored, great that it went over but it was about a 2/10 chance, is that really a shot that should be taken on in the first place?

On the pitch, certainly for the moment I wouldn't change the goalkeeper, he is a much, much better shot stopper than anything we've had there in a long time. Way more presence and size in the box than the likes of Power. Nice dispossession of O'Brien at a crucial stage at the end of the match as well.
I do say "for the moment" though because the kick outs have to improve and if Gleeson can't show development through the league on this then maybe it will be time to chance someone else. Galway lost two kickouts to hop balls under the rule where players cannot be in the semi circle, the second one resulted in a handy free in and point for Kerry and it was particularly bad because Sean Kelly just walked across into the area while the kick was being driven out, a very costly mistake.
It was disappointing not to see some set plays for the kicks when Galway were under severe pressure trying to hold on down the stretch and Kerry were coming in waves.

Galway FB line had a very difficult assignment for the night and at the start of the match I thought they were going to get cleaned out altogether.
In fairness to the Galway backs, Clifford is something else when given any bit of space, Mulkerrin (or any back in the country) left completely isolated one on one against a top player like that is just in damage limitation mode.
Heaney and Mulkerrin had some nice pass break ups and takeaways in the second half, generally played Kerry tighter and better as well. Mulkerrin did however make a key mistake by giving the ball away for the Kerry goal out on the sideline, it was compounded by his being totally out of position as a result. He has had a reasonable start to his Senior career though, he's certainly a better athlete at the position than SAOC was last year.

Following on from the Dublin match, James O'Donoghue looks to be back into great form and was some handful. It was a preplanned manoeuvre to take him off at ht apparently and Kerry really missed him in the second half, it certainly eased the pressure on Galway because I thought Tommy Walsh was far less of a threat up front. I'm left wondering how much of the Galway defensive improvement after the break was down to the absence of O'Donoghue in the 2nd period, he was just that dangerous in the 1st. If he is back to anything approaching his FOTY form with Clifford alongside him - watch out the rest of the country.
Duane was hooked after only 20 minutes, tough to see but at least the sideline seem like they are going to be decisive in substituting players that are not performing on the day. Kelly did a bit better after his introduction but still had two very costly mistakes, once losing possession under no pressure with a terrible attempt at a solo and the other for not knowing or remembering the kick out rule which directly resulted in a point for Kerry.

For me John Daly is the first man on that Galway team sheet outside of the captain, another fine performance again in Kerry. His general play is a lesson on how effective a player can be by simply always executing the most basic fundamental skills of the game - tackling, kicking, positioning etc. to a consistently high level. He won't show up on any highlights package because flashy play or scoring (as of yet) is not his game but this young lad is a serious footballer.

Gary O'Donnell had a good game, was heavily involved in a lot of the play. In the long term to have any chance of getting to the level of Dublin and Kerry I think G'OD will have to be a bench option with hopefully the likes of Molloy improving the position for Galway, but as a leader and a pro out there on the pitch, Gary is an outstanding servant to Galway football.

McDaid is in the ridiculous position of having received a black card in 3 out of 4 matches this year. FBD cards don't count to a match suspension from the accumulated cards but it is still crazy stuff.
Ultimately that black card in the final ten minutes was the deciding factor in costing Galway the game, the unnecessary nature of it was the most frustrating thing, in possession of the ball in an area where Kerry can't hurt you out by the halfway sideline, lose it badly and then clearly drag the player who's dispossessed you to the ground.
What makes it so unfortunate is that McDaid is getting more and more into it as he goes, he clearly has the capability to be a genuinely top class inter county player and should be a vital player for Galway this year but he won't be trusted with a starting position if he can't avoid the black card.

Steede wasn't in the game at all really, different ballgame required at this level even if he has been recently dominating the top club midfields. I said before the match that judgement couldn't be made on the basis of that one match in Kerry so hopefully he'll kick on during the rest of the league. Has to be noted though that Flynn immediately improved the play in this area once he was in.
D'Arcy played better than Steede but I thought midfield was maybe the one area of the pitch that Kerry definitely shaded Galway. Such a pity that Cooke is unavailable given how this Galway team is now trying to play, I think he'd thrive out there.

Brannigan had the shooting boots on in Tralee with 0-3 from play, had a good game in general play outside of that. Heavily involved in the build up to the first goal and his pace always makes him tricky for the opposition when he's on it. The problem is that he is so inconsistent with his accuracy, if he could just sort that out he'll definitely be starting come the summer as he presents a tough match up for any HB when on form.

Comer was in and out of the match, hard to know how he's really recovered from that very serious ankle injury, early days yet but he offers something so different and effective for Galway that it's vital to get him back to 2018 form.

Finnerty wasn't in the game at all and no surprise to see he didn't reappear after half time. While I admire the confidence in throwing Matthew Tierney straight into that match, this gamble completely backfired as he didn't get a kick in the second half and looked lost out there. Varley was far more effective when he entered the match and should have been the sub made at ht.

While his brother is going from strength to strength, Michael Daly is going in the opposite direction. It's very evident that a lack of sufficient pace to get away from tackles and to get into space to work the shot is really his biggest problem at Senior inter county. He worked hard, is generally good for a point most matches and was certainly better than against Monaghan but for a player we expected great things of, it's just not happening to that level, I doubt he'll start come championship unless there is a huge turnaround. Varley should absolutely be starting ahead of him on form this year.

While there's been errors with free taking in the two matches, that aside Shane Walsh is playing out of his skin, the best player on that pitch Saturday night. Absolutely majestic with the ball in hand, he is really worth any admission fee to watch. Galway need him to maintain this level of play and stay injury free but if he can do that the sky is the limit for the summer, speed kills out there and he is as quick with the ball in hand as without.

The McDaid black card was the correct call from referee Anthony Nolan but you have to laugh when the likes of Tony Leen in the Examiner rated the referee's performance as "did absolutely fine." A similar foul on Flynn went completely unpunished, even a couple of extremely partizan Kerry fans beside me in the terrace expected the black card to be issued. The lack of consistency is the most infuriating thing, I knew McDaid was gone as soon as he fouled but it should be the same for both sides. Although it would have been extremely soft penalty if given for the slight pulling on Comer when going for goal in the first half, I do wonder if it happened at the other end would he have run up to the goal with the two arms stuck out. He gave a 45 for O'Donnell going out over the end line when he was literally pushed over it by two Kerry hands to the back, obvious calls like that which aren't correctly made are inexplicable
Shouldn't be too surprised that Nolan is the same ref who rode Cork sideways in the Munster final last year with an absurd 27-11 free count difference, Kerry fans will be keeping a close eye on the referee appointments later in the year for the big championship matches hoping that Anthony Nolan will be there for them, as he definitely won't do them any harm, the only thing he missed for them was a blatant pick off the ground by John Daly before he played in Comer for the first Galway score.

Galway's own fault that we lost but I wish that we had more of a home advantage ourselves, given the inconsistent way the game as a whole is officiated by the men in black, it makes all the difference in tight matches. The history of poor support that the football team receive means that the type of home advantage, like Kerry have in Tralee, that can sway referees is something that we simply don't get in Pearse or Tuam. Tralee itself was a great venue under the lights, packed crowd, perfect conditions for football.

Meath look doomed for relegation already but it will be very tight for the other spot, even a point Saturday in a tough away venue would have put Galway in a great position to kick on and at least be in a position to retain Division one status as early as possible. Donegal is another tough outing, could do with picking up something from that match given that two vital points were tossed away at the weekend.

galwayman

Very good post as usual AFA. Totally agree re PJ's attitude to the defeat and his bullishness in general.
The chance conversion rate has unfortunately carried on from the KW era as this killed us in so many games during his tenure.
What you say re Brannigans inconsistency in terms of shooting (he'll get 2-3 points one day and kick 5 wides the next) could equally apply to Michael Daly imo. He just kicks far too many wides from good scoring positions.
Hopefully Comer will get better as the league progresses as I know that the ankle is still troubling him somewhat currently.

Manning18

Comer thrives on football. He was at his peak in the 2018 league after a proper run of Sigerson previous. I think he's on a very nice trajectory to be hitting top shape come championship provided he stays injury free. Performances for his first couple of games back are slightly ahead of where I expected.

Very good right up again AFA and good point on Cooke. I wonder is there even half a chance he could be tempted back given the general air of excitement around? This season was really one he shouldve been coming into his prime after flashes last year amid injuries.

seafoid

The odds are nuts. Last week Mayo were 10/1 and Monaghan 40/1.
Today Mayo are 28/1 and Monaghan 25/1. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Manning18 on February 03, 2020, 04:35:03 PM
Comer thrives on football. He was at his peak in the 2018 league after a proper run of Sigerson previous. I think he's on a very nice trajectory to be hitting top shape come championship provided he stays injury free. Performances for his first couple of games back are slightly ahead of where I expected.

Very good right up again AFA and good point on Cooke. I wonder is there even half a chance he could be tempted back given the general air of excitement around? This season was really one he shouldve been coming into his prime after flashes last year amid injuries.

You can tell Comer is not back to his full explosiveness yet and is probably a good bit short of full match sharpness. Hopefully by the Summer and more game time under his belt he'll get there.

Doubt Cooke will be back this year. As far as I know he's not just gone playing a bit of ball over in the US. He's working over there as part of his qualification/career. What that is I don't know as he was still in college last year. Will be a big loss alright as he's probably the closet we have to a Brian Fenton type who can make those runs from midfield and kick over points from distance.

Manning18

Id imagine Cooke's on the J Visa now that I think of it, the 1 year you get directly after finishing college. It's a one time thing also, so while i'm disappointed he's not thinking about his football at such an important year/age, that visa is a very hard one to pass up if you get the chance. I certainly regret not doing it personally

Main Street

Quote from: seafoid on February 03, 2020, 05:21:21 PM
The odds are nuts. Last week Mayo were 10/1 and Monaghan 40/1.
Today Mayo are 28/1 and Monaghan 25/1.
Pie in the sky.
It's the relegation odds which are more relevant to both teams and Tyrone.

An Fhairche Abu

The early in the week team announcements for the Galway Senior Footballers continue, the selection for Donegal is:

1   Connor Gleeson
2   Sean Kelly
3   Sean Mulkerrin
4   Johnny Heaney
5   Gary O'Donnell
6   John Daly
7   Cillian McDaid
8   Ronan Steede
9   Cein D'Arcy
10   Eamon Brannigan
11   Damien Comer
12   Michael Daly
13   Robert Finnerty
14   Shane Walsh
15   Liam Boyle

Two changes from Kerry starting lineup with Kelly and Boyle in for Duane and Ó Laoi.

galwayman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 04, 2020, 10:10:57 PM
The early in the week team announcements for the Galway Senior Footballers continue, the selection for Donegal is:

1   Connor Gleeson
2   Sean Kelly
3   Sean Mulkerrin
4   Johnny Heaney
5   Gary O'Donnell
6   John Daly
7   Cillian McDaid
8   Ronan Steede
9   Cein D'Arcy
10   Eamon Brannigan
11   Damien Comer
12   Michael Daly
13   Robert Finnerty
14   Shane Walsh
15   Liam Boyle

Two changes from Kerry starting lineup with Kelly and Boyle in for Duane and Ó Laoi.
That's Michael Boyle rather than Liam I think?
I'm surprised he's back in tbh.

GalwayBayBoy

Wonder will the game even go ahead? Forecast looks very bad for Sunday.

The @Galway_GAA team to play @officialdonegal on Sunday #GAA ⬇️

Connor Gleeson
Seán Kelly
Seán Ó Maoilchiaráin
Johnny Heaney
Gary O'Donnell
John Daly
Cillian McDaid
Ronan Steede
Céin D'Arcy
Eamonn Brannigan
Damien Comer
Michael Daly
Rob Finnerty
Shane Walsh
Mikey Boyle

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: galwayman on February 04, 2020, 10:21:07 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 04, 2020, 10:10:57 PM

1   Connor Gleeson
2   Sean Kelly
3   Sean Mulkerrin
4   Johnny Heaney
5   Gary O'Donnell
6   John Daly
7   Cillian McDaid
8   Ronan Steede
9   Cein D'Arcy
10   Eamon Brannigan
11   Damien Comer
12   Michael Daly
13   Robert Finnerty
14   Shane Walsh
15   Liam Boyle

That's Michael Boyle rather than Liam I think?
I'm surprised he's back in tbh.
Yep, it was incorrect on the Galway GAA website initially, so I'm blaming them!
You're not the only one surprised he's back in the lineup either!

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 04, 2020, 10:22:45 PM
Call it off on Saturday evening if it's in big doubt.

galwayman

I thought Liam Boyle was involved with the squad in the FBD but I could have that wrong.
Was a nice wing back for the minors a few years back though quite small and light physically.
I'm glad Steede is getting another start

Captain Obvious

A good opportunity for Galway to pick up away win as Donegal are poor in O'Donnell Park.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 04, 2020, 10:22:45 PM

The @Galway_GAA team to play @officialdonegal on Sunday #GAA ⬇️

Connor Gleeson
Seán Kelly
Seán Ó Maoilchiaráin
Johnny Heaney
Gary O'Donnell
John Daly
Cillian McDaid
Ronan Steede
Céin D'Arcy
Eamonn Brannigan
Damien Comer
Michael Daly
Rob Finnerty
Shane Walsh
Mikey Boyle
Michael Boyle starting is a surprise based on his previous outing against Monaghan where he looked well off what is required at this level.  Maybe he is showing well in training and is getting another chance to impress.