"Supporting" other counties....

Started by 5 Sams, January 10, 2014, 03:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

...the jersies thread got me thinking.

Loads of people in Ireland have no difficulty in swearing blind loyalty to English soccer teams...indeed many on here do it...christ I did it myself when Eric Cantona was playing :o

However it seems to be taboo among us Gaels to express admiration or indeed support for another county team. As you may know I would have a certain grá for Kerry which stems from watching them in the Golden Years and the type of football they play and have played. But you dare not say it out loud that you are a Kerry "supporter" to certain other Gaels.....the same Gaels who profess undying love for foreigners living in England who are paid thousands of pounds a week.The same people who you will never ever get a chance to meet and have a pint with.... Unlike our own GAA heroes.

Discuss.
The Aristocrat Years

AZOffaly

Because the GAA is about parish, place and identity. You cannot be from more than one place, and you can't choose where you are from. You may live in several different counties, and as a result have a fondness for all of them, or have a fondness for a particular county for any other reason, but you will always be a Down man, or an Offaly man. Wherever you were when you became self aware is where you are from. Being born in the Rotunda does not make you a Dub. And living in Rochfortbridge until you are 5 does not make you a Westmeath Man. *shudder*

I have various reasons for having a fondness for Kerry, Limerick hurling, Tipperary, Waterford and Mayo. Now that they've come back to earth since the mid 00's, even a slight tolerance of Westmeath :) However, I am not a fan of any of these. I am an Offaly man, and an Offaly fan.

Sandy Hill

I've always had a sneaking admiration for Meath!
"Stercus accidit"

T Fearon

"The same people who you will never ever get a chance to meet and have a pint with.... " Wanna bet?

deiseach

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 10, 2014, 03:49:25 PM

Loads of people in Ireland have no difficulty in swearing blind loyalty to English soccer teams...indeed many on here do it...christ I did it myself when Eric Cantona was playing :o

However it seems to be taboo among us Gaels to express admiration or indeed support for another county team. As you may know I would have a certain grá for Kerry which stems from watching them in the Golden Years and the type of football they play and have played. But you dare not say it out loud that you are a Kerry "supporter" to certain other Gaels.....the same Gaels who profess undying love for foreigners living in England who are paid thousands of pounds a week.The same people who you will never ever get a chance to meet and have a pint with.... Unlike our own GAA heroes.

Discuss.

Here's one I prepared earlier that might be of particular interest to you.

I think your comparison with English soccer is misconceived. You are far less likely to have supporters of an English soccer team have a good word to say about other English soccer teams. This is true even of Irish people who have no compelling reason to support the one that they do.

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 10, 2014, 03:56:01 PM
And living in Rochfortbridge until you are 5 does not make you a Westmeath Man. *shudder*

Thank you for sharing. That must have been hard for you.

Rossfan

I only support Ros County teams.
However I might from time to time "shout for" some other County depending on who they're playing usually ( e.g. Mayowr,Kerry or Dublin etc )  or where they're underdogs.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dec

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 10, 2014, 03:49:25 PM

Discuss.

What you are saying is that you are afraid to admit that you have a secret admiration for Armagh.

moysider

I wouldn t be a fan of any other county team.

Occasionally teams have come along in other counties that I enjoyed watching.

The Cork team with JBM, Declan Barron, Denis Long, Dave McCarty and Ray Cummins.
The Kerry team of Moran, Sheehy and Egan.
The Ros team (God forgive me!) of Earley, Jigger and McManus.

More recently I liked the Tyrone team that won those AIs and this current Dublin team is easy to watch - well most of the time anyway :'(

ross4life

My Dad & relations are from Donegal so i'd always keep an eye on their results, its a while since i went to one of their games though. I think nearly everyone likes seeing the underdogs doing well.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on January 10, 2014, 08:53:52 PM
My Dad & relations are from Donegal so i'd always keep an eye on their results, its a while since i went to one of their games though. I think nearly everyone likes seeing the underdogs doing well.

Unless they're Kerry.

Club Rossa

Syferus also supports the Tyrone minors.

Syferus

Quote from: Club Rossa on January 10, 2014, 09:02:45 PM
Syferus also supports the Tyrone minors.

Was awful disappointed they lost to those anti-football Rhubarbs in the final.

Club Rossa

Jinxy

Quote from: Sandy Hill on January 10, 2014, 04:57:39 PM
I've always had a sneaking admiration for Meath!

And who could blame you.
If you were any use you'd be playing.