"Supporting" other counties....

Started by 5 Sams, January 10, 2014, 03:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Quote from: laoislad on January 10, 2014, 10:36:48 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on January 10, 2014, 10:16:40 PM
Always like Wexford, had quality players but never won Leinster. Should have got past the Dubs on a few occasions. Like Galway too, natural footballers.
They've won 10 of them.

Yeah, meant in more recent times when they had Mattie Forde . Red Barry etc

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 11, 2014, 10:17:52 AM
I thought you loved us too seafoid. Disgusted.
I was going to put Offaly in as well but it's time for ye to stand on your own two feet.
Did you ever see that Paidi video re Westmeath where he gets his hair cut in a barbershop owned by an Offaly medal winner from the 1970s?
And you can tell that the Offaly fella knows they won't go as far as Offaly did.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tyroneman

Never quite understood the mentality some provincial comrades have of supporting the other Ulster teams once their own county goes out. If Tyrone go out I certainly don't be cheering on Derry or Armagh.......

Do other provinces have a similar affiliation?

Did Meath, Laois or Louth fans support Dublin in the 2013 final?

Did Cork fans cheer on Kerry winning AIs after the rebels bowed out?

Do Galway row in behind Mayo once out?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: tyroneman on January 11, 2014, 10:46:10 AM
Never quite understood the mentality some provincial comrades have of supporting the other Ulster teams once their own county goes out. If Tyrone go out I certainly don't be cheering on Derry or Armagh.......

Have you ever spoken to the older generation of Tyrone people, those in their 60's or older. I've spoken to a few and found  that back when they were younger Tyrone were quite crap and a lot of people there use to look to the other Ulster counties and follow them such as Cavan in the 40's and 50's and Down in the 60's. Once lad told me he used to work in the south and on the way up home he used to stop in Cavan and buy the Anglo Celt to see what was going on in Cavan football. Obviously Tyrone became a power in their own right but remember no team from the 6 counties won an AI until the 1960's, 80 years into the GAA so you can understand why Ulster gaels used to look to the provincial winners to represent them and maybe that is why that continues today to a greater extent in Ulster than in other provinces?

reddgnhand

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 11, 2014, 11:39:08 AM

Have you ever spoken to the older generation of Tyrone people, those in their 60's or older. I've spoken to a few and found  that back when they were younger Tyrone were quite crap and a lot of people there use to look to the other Ulster counties and follow them such as Cavan in the 40's and 50's and Down in the 60's. Once lad told me he used to work in the south and on the way up home he used to stop in Cavan and buy the Anglo Celt to see what was going on in Cavan football. Obviously Tyrone became a power in their own right but remember no team from the 6 counties won an AI until the 1960's, 80 years into the GAA so you can understand why Ulster gaels used to look to the provincial winners to represent them and maybe that is why that continues today to a greater extent in Ulster than in other provinces?

True. My father still talks about the great Down team and how him and all his mates went to the AIF. I remember when Armagh got to the final in 77 there was great hype  in Tyrone.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: anglocelt39 on January 11, 2014, 10:18:41 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 11, 2014, 03:13:00 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on January 11, 2014, 02:16:03 AM
Quote from: anglocelt39 on January 10, 2014, 11:18:37 PM
Wexford Rodders? In personal experience a narkier little shower of supporters or officials you will travel a long distance to match. Mind You I was not totally without blame on the occasions in question. Family connections with louth make soft spot for them. Longford lads can't be faulted. Galway always seemed to play the game like it was meant to be played. No problems with Down either,

The myth of Galway  ::)

It has to be untrue to be a myth. ;)

No Myth, genuine football achievers, probably more football All Irelands than the rest of Connacht combined and 10% of the online noise. 3 in a row 60's 98 All Ireland Winners were super footballers, was a pleasure to watch their Under 21s unravel McGeeneys Gym monkeys last year, just a few examples there.

Awe please, 1960's Galway team played vollyball, the rule changes in those years made the game anything but Gaelic football and Galway were the masters of vollyball. Have Galway won a game in Croke Park since 2001? What division are they in? One of their AI was thieved off Mayo and handed to Galway by the GAA. They are nothing more than Mayo's bitches. How many games / years in a row have we beat / hammered them. Media darlings, poor support, 3'rd best team in West after Mayo and Roscommon.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Connacht supports her own, the exception would be Sligonian.be
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

anglocelt39

throw out the bait and they will take it, every time.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

muppet

Quote from: anglocelt39 on January 11, 2014, 02:35:20 PM
throw out the bait and they will take it, every time.

Save money and don't even use bait.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on January 11, 2014, 02:35:07 PM

Connacht supports her own, the exception would be Sligonian.be

He just doesn't like the chuckle brothers.

Hardy

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on January 11, 2014, 02:25:48 PM
Quote from: anglocelt39 on January 11, 2014, 10:18:41 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 11, 2014, 03:13:00 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on January 11, 2014, 02:16:03 AM
Quote from: anglocelt39 on January 10, 2014, 11:18:37 PM
Wexford Rodders? In personal experience a narkier little shower of supporters or officials you will travel a long distance to match. Mind You I was not totally without blame on the occasions in question. Family connections with louth make soft spot for them. Longford lads can't be faulted. Galway always seemed to play the game like it was meant to be played. No problems with Down either,

The myth of Galway  ::)

It has to be untrue to be a myth. ;)

No Myth, genuine football achievers, probably more football All Irelands than the rest of Connacht combined and 10% of the online noise. 3 in a row 60's 98 All Ireland Winners were super footballers, was a pleasure to watch their Under 21s unravel McGeeneys Gym monkeys last year, just a few examples there.

Awe please, 1960's Galway team played vollyball, the rule changes in those years made the game anything but Gaelic football

Those rule changes were ... ?

Champion The Wonder Horse

Good man. 100% agree. I am from Derry. I support Derry. The end.

armaghniac

QuoteNever quite understood the mentality some provincial comrades have of supporting the other Ulster teams once their own county goes out.

Because that's the GAA way, Mickey.

I am from Derry. I support Derry.

Well even that is more than most people in Derry!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

larryin89

There is a difference in having a fondness for a different county other than your own and supporting a different county,supporting another county is just plain weird.

I shout for anyone that plays Roscommon , I absolutely detest Roscommon . If Rossie played a team made up of nazi war criminals I'd become a nazi for the day.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

muppet

Quote from: larryin89 on January 12, 2014, 01:17:06 AM
There is a difference in having a fondness for a different county other than your own and supporting a different county,supporting another county is just plain weird.

I shout for anyone that plays Roscommon , I absolutely detest Roscommon . If Rossie played a team made up of nazi war criminals I'd become a nazi for the day.

I'm guessing you have lamb for every meal?
MWWSI 2017