Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6th sam

Would agree that until such times as the vaccine effect kicks in , we should all try to abide by the restrictions, Frustrating as they may be. I feel that aggressive curtain twitching is likely to be counterproductive however, leading to unhealthy finger pointing and subsequent secrecy. Hopefully the vaccine will help get us back to normality .
I find this thread very disappointing but don't take it seriously  , as we are mostly anonymous posters merely giving opinions or in the  case of some regular posters, clearly winding up. It's telling however that it only heats up when getting the boot into managers , coaches, county board officials etc, usually on the basis of ill informed , inaccurate gossip, or half-truths.  This can be toxic at times, and I note Davy Fitz's comments re this culture , on The Late Late Show . There's very rarely positive comments or realistic suggestions for improvement based on evidence.
Any positive news stories , constructive suggestions for improvement in the County, or examples of best practice out there which we can learn from?

yewtree

Quote from: thewobbler on January 10, 2021, 11:29:53 PM
f**k me folks. I'm sure you're all familiar with the various episodes of the Simpsons where a braying mob gathers with pitchforks. The mob doesn't really know what they're braying about, they just want some justice to be administered. That's what this has descended into.

Why wouldn't the Abbey rent a pitch to a recurring customer, when it was legally permitted?

Who's going to replace all these county board officers you want to throw on the sword?

Wobbler1 if that is best way to address you- so basically you're saying everything is ok as ' Who's going to replace all these county board officers you want to throw on the sword?' I don't like or respect that type of attitude .What has happened this past while during this Pandemic has scared the life out of society. My partner is afraid to go to the shops , her aunt passed away due to Covid .And you belittle that all, have you any principles ?
We are in an organisation that is linked to the grassroots, the people I am a recent convert to it as my youth was spent playing football but through neighbours and others I got involved. I'm as keen as anyone. My partners family were very much involved in the Bosco. But we can't condone the actions of our flagship team and there really does need to be action and resignations. I have looked back at your posts and you seem a genuine guy and a guy not in with the dinosaurs of the GAA but please start to think more of wider society and the implications of role models doing the wrong thing.
The GAA of 2021 is new and not the old one of the backward terrorist supporter anymore.

thewobbler

Again yewtree, I'm not defending the county board / county senior team here.

I'm one of those people who finds the modern coach/player obsession with the "extra 2%" absolutely bewildering (especially so when it replaces an emphasis on the 98% that really matters).

There's no need for group training in a pandemic. None at all.

But my basic point is that a group of healthy (elite) adults training in an outdoor environment really isn't worth getting emotionally charged about. There was a full round of Irish League fixtures the week before. There's groups of bikers, cyclists, runners, walkers all over our roads, hills and mountains every weekend. If these people are travelling alone, maintaining social distance wherever possible and not meeting indoors, I just can't  get upset by any of this. These are not the reasons why COVID is spreading.

yewtree

Wobbler absolutely very fair points and well put .In ways you temper my anger but in another way using my own moral compass I feel if you are in a position of leadership you should always do what your organisation professes.
I feel when I look as a newbie to Down GAA I see it as a kinda who you know, what money you bring to the party etc and if you were part of a successful team in the past or your dad was a player kinda of organisation. Even what school you went to Abbey or College gives you an advantage. Knowing and perceiving that I feel Down GAA never stick to principles and this is in my book an example. When you look over recent years the behaviour of some of the clubs and what they get away with it is unreal , sadly mostly from East Down.
The despicable behaviours of teams from Kilcoo area and Downpatrick area beggars belief.
In that context I want Down GAA to turn a new leaf and lead with integrity.

wobbller

Quote from: thewobbler on January 10, 2021, 11:29:53 PM
f**k me folks. I'm sure you're all familiar with the various episodes of the Simpsons where a braying mob gathers with pitchforks. The mob doesn't really know what they're braying about, they just want some justice to be administered. That's what this has descended into.

Why wouldn't the Abbey rent a pitch to a recurring customer, when it was legally permitted?

Who's going to replace all these county board officers you want to throw on the sword?
I never mentioned the Abbey taking the Booking
  I was following up on some other poster making reference to Universities.
  I never asked for the County Board to be replaced.
  Although I do think an apology from the Officers would help.

Johnnysboys

Word on the street is that the coach of all coaches Poacher has joined Roscommon??? Any truth??

Godsown

What in the name of good god have Roscommon done to deserve that. Serial loser at every club he's been at, failure in Carlow except in stoking up resentment, abject disaster with this years Down Minors. If he goes a bit further West he could join up with that other ego maniac in USA

SamFever

Quote from: Godsown on January 11, 2021, 12:22:30 PM
What in the name of good god have Roscommon done to deserve that. Serial loser at every club he's been at, failure in Carlow except in stoking up resentment, abject disaster with this years Down Minors. If he goes a bit further West he could join up with that other ego maniac in USA
SP is reportedly a good Coach.Full Stop.Not a Manager or someone who should be along the sideline in any match situation.

5times5times

Has he ever had success apart from his golden generation high school team???

manwithnoplan

Wobbler absolutely very fair points and well put .In ways you temper my anger but in another way using my own moral compass I feel if you are in a position of leadership you should always do what your organisation professes.
I feel when I look as a newbie to Down GAA I see it as a kinda who you know, what money you bring to the party etc and if you were part of a successful team in the past or your dad was a player kinda of organisation. Even what school you went to Abbey or College gives you an advantage. Knowing and perceiving that I feel Down GAA never stick to principles and this is in my book an example. When you look over recent years the behaviour of some of the clubs and what they get away with it is unreal , sadly mostly from East Down.
The despicable behaviours of teams from Kilcoo area and Downpatrick area beggars belief.
In that context I want Down GAA to turn a new leaf and lead with integrity.

Care to elaborate on these insinuations? When you say "Kilcoo area and Downpatrick area" are you exclusively talking about Kilcoo GAC and RGU? Or do you mean Clonduff, Drumgath, Castlewellan, Liatroim, Ardglass, Bright, Teconnaught, Kilclief also? Are the south Down clubs all angels then?

Targetman

Anyone hear that the Johnston brothers have left the Down squad?

wobbller

Quote from: Targetman on January 11, 2021, 06:15:26 PM
Were they not present at Abbeygate or have they been dropped for being man enough not to be attending an illicit GAA gathering? ;D

Johnnysboys

SP is reportedly a good Coach.Full Stop.Not a Manager or someone who should be along the sideline in any match situation.
[/quote]

Define "good coach"?? Turn up on time, be organised, have a plan for next opposition, treat players and others on management team with respect..... surely everyone who coaches does the above.. but these self obsessed, all about me bullsh***ers who talk the talk but when it comes to it their teams are no different or a pattern of play isn't obvious are plentiful in GAA circles at present..

Godsown

Quote from: Targetman on January 11, 2021, 06:15:26 PM

Heard they were dropped by Yewtree for being from Kilcoo. Some other boys apparently for the chop due to who they play for.

Lotto

I'm amazed to see that not only do we have the best coach in Ireland as one of our own in Down, we now have the greatest chef in Ireland as well. How seriously does this individual crave attention that he first of all puts this madness together and secondly makes the stupid thing public?  As they say, the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.