5 Sams - RIP

Started by brokencrossbar1, December 02, 2017, 04:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldengreen

Ambrose

Paddy was buried on St. Ambrose's day,  the community of Ballyholland gave him a wonderful send off, he meant the world to them and they did to Paddy. His life was celebrated in Newry Cathedral and what a life it was, he lived it to the full in his 53 short years. Club Chairman, Kevin Loughran's, communion testament was a wonderful example of the esteem in which Paddy was held. He would have been so proud of his fellow club men, from under age right through to senior who gave him such a fitting send off. Every club in the county and beyond came out to show their respect and admiration to such a wonderful GAA man. He is a huge loss. not just to the community of Ballyholland, to his family and friends, in Newry, County Down and in his adopted home of Kerry, but also to his online friends here on the GAAboard on twitter and elsewhere.
I sincerely hope that his friends and fellow posters can add something here on the board to tell us a little bit more about Paddy's great life. I saw him win a Macrory Cup when I was a in second or third year in the Abbey CBS, I didn't know him at the time, but I knew him to see as a senior pupil, I'm pretty sure he was a 'sixer' at our dinner table at a time. He won various honours during his playing days with Ballyholland Harps and served his club as secretary for as many years as any of us care to remember.
He was a fan of the Four of Us, I met him in the Spirit Store when they played with the late Bap Kennedy, a massive U2 fan and he was fond of a pint or two of the black stuff.  He was a great man for an oul ticket, wether you were giving one away for the season ticket attendance or needed one for an All Ireland final. I know we'll all miss his contributions here and on twitter and wherever he happened to make friends. The interweb is a lesser place in his absence. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

5ive Times.

You can't live off history and tradition forever

Jim Bob

Great post.
I didn't know who 5 Sams was until he passed away but I have since learned he was a great Gael and a great Down man.
RIP 5 Sams !

orangeman

Nice tribute Ambrose.

Well deserved.

T Fearon

Sorry to be pedantic but he didn't win a Mc Rory medal but a runners up medal.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: T Fearon on January 01, 2018, 03:07:44 AM
Sorry to be pedantic ........

No you're not Tony.  You love being pedantic.
Of all threads too.

J70

Nice tribute.

Behind all the bollocks and discussion on the board, everyone here has real lives that touch many real people, mostly in a positive way I'm sure.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on December 02, 2017, 07:44:13 PM
RIP 5 Sams.

Didn't know the man but he was one of us.

My sympathies to all his closest

Couldn't have put it better. It seems that those of us that hadn't the pleasure of knowing him are the poorer for that. My condolences to his family, friends and clubmates. I can't believe I missed this thread until now. RIP 5 Sams.

Rossfan

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 02, 2018, 02:07:14 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on December 02, 2017, 07:44:13 PM
My condolences to his family, friends and clubmates. I can't believe I missed this thread until now. RIP 5 Sams.
Same here.
RIP.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Over the Bar

First met Paddy at Jordanstown Union around 89.    Spent many's a great day and night with him since.   United and Down fanatic and he was the first man to call me to congratulate when Tyrone won their first All Ireland in 2003.   Think the fact we bate Armagh gave him 2 reasons to celebrate.   ;D

ziggysego

I couldn't sleep tonight and starting reading old threads. I came across this post.

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 24, 2011, 12:42:03 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on January 20, 2011, 08:02:48 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on January 20, 2011, 08:01:27 PM
There's one or two on here I'd love to "bump" into.

I'm led to believe, we've met.

Just to wreck your head Zigg... I have met you as well....I will have an opportunity to meet you again in the next few weeks and I will make myself known... ;) ;)

I'd forgotten 5 Sams introduced himself to me one day many years ago at my workplace. Sadly our paths never crossed again.

RIP Paddy.
Testing Accessibility

Ambrose

A few days late with this post, but it's nice to see his club and the community are remembering 5Sams in such a fitting way.

The inaugural Paddy Savage under-10 football tournament takes place this morning/afternoon in Fr Lynch Park.
After the tournament, Cathal Dixon will be on stage for an hour or two in the club, followed by the AISF semi final between Dublin and Galway at 5pm.
Football, music, more football, and a few pints. It's the kind of day Paddy would have loved. Call over and be a part of it.

Below is a photo from the 1982 Macrory semi final Paddy is on the goal line, wearing glasses. I'd have been at that game myself.

charlieTully

Quote from: Ambrose on August 15, 2018, 11:04:13 PM
A few days late with this post, but it's nice to see his club and the community are remembering 5Sams in such a fitting way.

The inaugural Paddy Savage under-10 football tournament takes place this morning/afternoon in Fr Lynch Park.
After the tournament, Cathal Dixon will be on stage for an hour or two in the club, followed by the AISF semi final between Dublin and Galway at 5pm.
Football, music, more football, and a few pints. It's the kind of day Paddy would have loved. Call over and be a part of it.

Below is a photo from the 1982 Macrory semi final Paddy is on the goal line, wearing glasses. I'd have been at that game myself.

I didn't realise who 5sams was until after he passed away. I would have been friends with his brother at school and stayed in his family home on a few occasions. It's a small world as the saying goes.

Targetman

I would have been at that match myself, another player in the photo who has also passed away Malachy Murdock, was great craic at them games, I think Abbey won this one!

Ambrose

Paddy's anniversary mass takes place tomorrow morning at 11am in St Mary's Chapel, Newry. Tea and biscuits afterwards in Ballyholland club.
Hard to believe a year has passed so quickly.