Stag do

Started by haveaharp, January 08, 2009, 01:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Was at a stag in Cardiff - very disappointing. Real ugly atmosphere around the place when we were there, lads staring you out of it just waiting for an excuse to get into a boxing match.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: stephenite on January 09, 2009, 12:48:37 AM
Was at a stag in Cardiff - very disappointing. Real ugly atmosphere around the place when we were there, lads staring you out of it just waiting for an excuse to get into a boxing match.

Jeez, I loved Cardiff. Go for the rugby week end (week end after St Paddys) & you'll experience nothing like it!!! One of the best cities I was ever in. I thought the people were very firendly & we had a scrum in the middle of one of the bars. Sing songs all night, mostly aimed at the English!!  :P

I've heard the soccer crowds are real @rseholes though - maybe you got caught up in that?

Been to Prague for a Stag, hell of a spot... some scary joints though!

Canalman

Galwaybayboy, imo you are in living in cloud cuckooland if you think that Irish is still widely spoken in Galway city . Have visited Galway at least twice a year (bar a stint in Oz) since the 70s and imo the use of Irish in the city has all but finished since the late 1980s when you heard the use of Irish by muintir Chonamara everywhere. My Irish is a bit stale but I still reckon after 14 years at Gaelscoileanna that I can recognize the language.

I humbly apologize for giving my opinion on Galway City......... obviously another Irish Sacred Cow immune to criticism.

el_cuervo_fc

Newcastle is the spot.  you'll not go far wrong with it.  The people are good craic as well

full back

Been to Newcastle recently & it isnt as good as it used to be
Still decent, but not as good as it was a while back

mylestheslasher

Quote from: kumquat on January 08, 2009, 07:41:49 PM
Abroad - Hamburg
Scotland - Edinburgh
England - Newcastle

three gret cities for a stag

I thought they were all abroad?

Carlingford is a great spot for a stag. Had a great time there earlier in the year. Stay away from Dundalk though cos it is not friendly place

SidelineKick

Newcastle was great craic though I definitely prefer Liverpool, great size of a city.  Would love to book the annual January student trip to it, but I'm not a student anymore and can't take the time off work  :(

Im rambling, in short - Liverpool.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Newbridge Exile

Bristol would be my faourite stag night spot altough in sating that Newcastle and Liverpool were good too

thewobbler

Went to Bristol for mine and thought it was a great town. We went to Cheltenham racing on the Saturday - only 30 mins by train.

Newcastle was great when I went a few years ago. Great size of a place, locals were friendly, bars were good and varied. Although I was there again in August and I've a feeling I've got too old for that town (I'm an old 31).

I wasn't overly impressed with Liverpool, but I'm awate this makes me the exception. Everyone I know raves about it. Personally I don't like getting accosted by tramps selling knocked-off merchandise every time I sit down for a pint.

Carrick On Shannon was excellent. Small towns suit me better.

corn02

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 09, 2009, 10:10:14 AM
Quote from: kumquat on January 08, 2009, 07:41:49 PM
Abroad - Hamburg
Scotland - Edinburgh
England - Newcastle

three gret cities for a stag

I thought they were all abroad?

Carlingford is a great spot for a stag. Had a great time there earlier in the year. Stay away from Dundalk though cos it is not friendly place

Old belief. I have been going to Dundalk for the last two years reguarly and have seen about two fights.

SidelineKick

Quote from: thewobbler on January 09, 2009, 10:33:28 AM
Went to Bristol for mine and thought it was a great town. We went to Cheltenham racing on the Saturday - only 30 mins by train.

Newcastle was great when I went a few years ago. Great size of a place, locals were friendly, bars were good and varied. Although I was there again in August and I've a feeling I've got too old for that town (I'm an old 31).

I wasn't overly impressed with Liverpool, but I'm awate this makes me the exception. Everyone I know raves about it. Personally I don't like getting accosted by tramps selling knocked-off merchandise every time I sit down for a pint.

Carrick On Shannon was excellent. Small towns suit me better.

Good call, was there a couple of years ago and had a brilliant weekend!
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

bennydorano

Maybe we were unlucky in Newcastle but different members of our group were hounded by squaddies on 3 or 4 ocassions, put me off a bit tbh.  Had a great time but I wouldn't be rushing back.

Edinburgh is the place to go.  Been to 2 or 3 stags there and went for a few city breaks with the missus.  Never disappoints. 

illdecide

Its hard to beat Granard...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

full back

Quote from: bennydorano on January 09, 2009, 11:06:32 AM
Maybe we were unlucky in Newcastle but different members of our group were hounded by squaddies on 3 or 4 ocassions

You group must have some lookers for the squaddies to hound you 3/4 times, after all there is plenty of birds floating about...........

5 Sams

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on January 08, 2009, 08:14:26 PM
Liverpool is great for a rip..Have been over about 5 times in the last 2 yrs..Always seem to end up in O'Neills even though i always say i'm never going back. The walkabout in Concert Square is a good spot for women..About 3 women for every fella...

Have to agree Pat....I'm over there a couple or three times a year cos the Bro in Law lives there and its a great spot for session......Friday/Sat night around Matthew St, Bold St and Concert Square would give an oul lad like me a heart attack. I've seen more clothes worn on the beach in Crete.

Havent been in quite a while but I remember the Razz was a great spot. An absolute hole decor wise and smelly as fcuk with sticky carpet....but fabulous music, fine lookin women and cheap drink....

Someone mentioned Carlingford....now that would be my type of stag......3 or 4 great pubs....just a great session town.
The Aristocrat Years