County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 24, 2018, 02:10:18 PM
Despite some very OTT criticism from a few places, I think Tally will be a loss to the Galway football setup overall, best of luck to him as manager with Down.
Has Kevin Walsh himself confirmed he is going to stay on as Galway manager though?

He was on OTB this morning talking about Tally and Dublin's ridiculous home advantage so I suspect he is.
#newbridgeornowhere

GalwayBayBoy

Despite some very OTT criticism from a few places, I think Tally will be a loss to the Galway football setup overall, best of luck to him as manager with Down.
Has Kevin Walsh himself confirmed he is going to stay on as Galway manager though?

Wonder who they will get in to replace him? I imagine John Divilly might have his sights on the top job himself when Walsh leaves so will hardly come in now as a number two.

Jayop

I'd be stunned if Walsh doesn't have at least one more rattle with these players.

Cunny Funt

I do laugh when so called experts say that Tally was to blame for making Galway play "negative" football even though he was only with Galway for months not even a year and they were playing "negative" football long before he arrived https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/galway-accused-of-being-very-negative-in-leitrim-victory-31230150.html

Rossfan

Lazy clichéd nonsense that passes for sports journalism.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Ford and Conway to join Mayo management team

Former Mayo captain Peter Ford and Shane Conway, who are currently working together as joint managers of the Breaffy senior club football team, have agreed to join Stephen Rochford's Mayo management set-up as selectors.
A meeting of the executive officers of the Mayo GAA Board is due to be held tomorrow evening (Sunday) to discuss the make-up of Rochford's proposed management team for 2019.
It's expected that they will recommend that it be officially ratified at a meeting of the County Board next week.
Ford and Conway will join Joe Keane — the only selector remaining from last season after the departures of Donie Buckley, Peter Burke and Tony McEntee — on the sideline with Rochford next year.
The experienced Ford, who served as a selector under John Maughan when Mayo reached All-Ireland Finals in both 1996 and 1997, has also managed both the Sligo and Galway senior football teams.
The Ballinrobe native led the Tribesmen to the 2005 Connacht title as well as the All-Ireland Under-21 championship that same year.
Ford (56) was the Mayo captain when they won the 1992 Connacht senior football championship title, and also played on the county's All-Ireland winning under-21 team in 1983.
He also managed Ballintubber to win the Mayo SFC title in 2014 and has worked with many of the current Mayo squad, including the O'Connor brothers, O'Shea brothers and Rob Hennelly.
Meanwhile, Shane Conway is well-known for his training, coaching and management work with a number of club teams in Mayo, including Kilmeena, Westport and Castlebar Mitchels.
He was part of Pat Holmes' management team in 2013 when Mitchels won the Mayo SFC title, before going to on to lose the All-Ireland club final to St Vincent's in March of 2014.
A secondary school teacher in Westport, Conway has carved out a very impressive reputation over the last ten years at club and colleges level.
He was the joint-manager of the Rice College Westport team that qualified for the All-Ireland Post-Primary Schools Senior 'A' football championship final earlier this year.
The Mayo side were beaten by St Ronan's, Lurgan in that Hogan Cup Final by a point at Croke Park.

http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/32546-ford-and-conway-to-join-mayo-management-team
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Farrandeelin

Very underwhelming backroom team.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 26, 2018, 01:40:04 AM

Kinda looks like a county board that has decided the chase for the AI is over and is looking to save some cash.

Jayop

Interesting that it's the Breaffy managers. Do I remember right that it was rumoured to be the Breaffy men who led the push against the last management team?

Maroon Manc

Certainly save the County Board a few quid anyway.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on August 26, 2018, 02:14:47 AM

Kinda looks like a county board that has decided the chase for the AI is over and is looking to save some cash.

Looks to be the case. Wise decision to have local lads. Will save money and they are more likely to spot players that could come into the squad.

The game is up! Dublin are steaming rolling ahead, while Mayo have been trickling the other way the last couple of years. No point in horsing good money into a project in decline.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 24, 2018, 04:17:58 PM

Wonder who they will get in to replace him? I imagine John Divilly might have his sights on the top job himself when Walsh leaves so will hardly come in now as a number two.

Just had a listen and surely Kevin Walsh is staying on, nothing from what he said suggested he won't be.

Tally will be a loss but at least they got a year out him and the panel and management will have learnt a lot from him. Interesting to see who he'll bring in. Anyone heard anything on Cillain McDaid the last week?  Would really like to see Molloy & Wall training with the panel over the winter and during the league but then we're relying on someone stopping Corofin. Lets hope Kevin Walsh can find another player who's not on anyone's radar like he did with Ciaran Duggan.

Syferus

Duggan was barely on the radar by the end of the year himself..

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 26, 2018, 01:31:53 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 26, 2018, 02:14:47 AM

Looks to be the case. Wise decision to have local lads. Will save money and they are more likely to spot players that could come into the squad.

The game is up! Dublin are steaming rolling ahead, while Mayo have been trickling the other way the last couple of years. No point in horsing good money into a project in decline.

Desperation in Mayo as they get the Pope to sign a jersey in an attempt to lift the curse!

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1033659822208692224/video/1

Duine Eile

Quote from: Maroon Manc on August 26, 2018, 02:12:32 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 24, 2018, 04:17:58 PM

Just had a listen and surely Kevin Walsh is staying on, nothing from what he said suggested he won't be.

Tally will be a loss but at least they got a year out him and the panel and management will have learnt a lot from him. Interesting to see who he'll bring in. Anyone heard anything on Cillain McDaid the last week?  Would really like to see Molloy & Wall training with the panel over the winter and during the league but then we're relying on someone stopping Corofin. Lets hope Kevin Walsh can find another player who's not on anyone's radar like he did with Ciaran Duggan.

I was at their game yesterday evening, they're not going to be stopped any time soon, they were missing about 5 starters and still won by 20 points. Molloy was excellent.