County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

It seems to have been a bit of a disaster alright.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Quote from: Rossfan on August 03, 2018, 02:47:19 PM

Depends how you look at it. New manager trying to embed a new system while at the same time bringing in a load of young players. Sligos captain is only 21 or 22 i think. The county board were probably right to set sustaining Div 3 as a target. Galway were always going to be way to strong for Sligo. They will probably be most annoyed about the tame defeat to Armagh. Is that enough of a reason to part ways after 1 year?

Reading the press release it looks like manager himself walked as the release more or less said all goals were met this year.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Itchy on August 03, 2018, 03:33:44 PM

Depends how you look at it. New manager trying to embed a new system while at the same time bringing in a load of young players. Sligos captain is only 21 or 22 i think. The county board were probably right to set sustaining Div 3 as a target. Galway were always going to be way to strong for Sligo. They will probably be most annoyed about the tame defeat to Armagh. Is that enough of a reason to part ways after 1 year?

Reading the press release it looks like manager himself walked as the release more or less said all goals were met this year.
Does anyone seriously believe that their goals for the year was just staying up in a poor Division three and beating London in the championship?

I seen Sligo twice this year against Armagh. They have plenty of good players but as a group they are so poorly coached and managed that they were basically like headless chickens running around the field. Galway I agree were always going to be too strong for Sligo however they lost by 21 points and conceded 4-24 its when defeats like that become acceptable that problems becomes even worse for counties like Sligo.

sligoman2

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 03, 2018, 02:12:42 PM
Sligo's record this year Played 14 Won 4 Drew 2 Lost 8. Wins against Leitrim in the FBD, Wexford,Derry at home in the NFL and v London in the championship. Only just avoided relegation to Div 4 and their manner of defeat to Galway was one of their worst ever defeats in Connacht.

Its probably for the best that Sligo go with someone more local now.

Good stats blow it up.  On the positive side the breakdown of the losses are as follows

Loss v Div 1 teams 3 Galway *2 and mayo
Loss v promoted div 2 team 1 Ross
Loss v promoted div 3 teams 3 Armagh *2 and Fermanagh
Loss v div 3 teams 1 Westmeath
Win v div 3 teams 2 (both in div 4 next year)
Win v div 4 teams 2

Obviously not great but there is some good young lads coming up...
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

SLIGONIAN

For me the minimum was Div3 status and beat London but this team was capable of more, the manner of how we stayed up wasn't pretty, the manner of our defeat to Galway and Armagh have to be considered.

There was lots of negatives behind the scenes too, that transferred to the pitch, his whole approach was poor, out of his depth. I'm glad he is gone.

Our CB are so poor I don't know what they will come up with next. No self-respecting outside manager will come to us. O Hara/McGowan could be anything from a disaster to great imo.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Syferus

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 03, 2018, 10:17:29 PM
For me the minimum was Div3 status and beat London but this team was capable of more, the manner of how we stayed up wasn't pretty, the manner of our defeat to Galway and Armagh have to be considered.

There was lots of negatives behind the scenes too, that transferred to the pitch, his whole approach was poor, out of his depth. I'm glad he is gone.

Our CB are so poor I don't know what they will come up with next. No self-respecting outside manager will come to us. O Hara/McGowan could be anything from a disaster to great imo.

Tanned Emmo was a bit of a diaster in Ballagh. Tactics like he read Mickey Harte's playbook transcribed on the back of a Corn Flakes box.

Itchy

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 03, 2018, 04:32:32 PM
Quote from: Itchy on August 03, 2018, 03:33:44 PM

Does anyone seriously believe that their goals for the year was just staying up in a poor Division three and beating London in the championship?

I seen Sligo twice this year against Armagh. They have plenty of good players but as a group they are so poorly coached and managed that they were basically like headless chickens running around the field. Galway I agree were always going to be too strong for Sligo however they lost by 21 points and conceded 4-24 its when defeats like that become acceptable that problems becomes even worse for counties like Sligo.

You could l d say the same about Armagh under mcgeeney in his first couple of years!

rodney trotter

Eamon Fitz stepped down as Kerry manager after the game.

yellowcard

It appears that Paidi O'Se was correct about the Kerry supporters when he labelled them f***ing animals based on what Eamon Fitzmaurice has revealed about the hate mail and abuse that he received. No manager should have to endure that level of abuse and particularly due to the fact that he was not getting paid unlike the vast majority of other county managers who do not come under anywhere near the same level of scrutiny.

That said the kerry job is still a very enticing position for any manager given the conveyor belt of talent that they have coming through and the fact that Dublin will at some point in the next year or two will begin regressing.   

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: yellowcard on August 07, 2018, 10:11:38 AM
It appears that Paidi O'Se was correct about the Kerry supporters when he labelled them f***ing animals based on what Eamon Fitzmaurice has revealed about the hate mail and abuse that he received. No manager should have to endure that level of abuse and particularly due to the fact that he was not getting paid unlike the vast majority of other county managers who do not come under anywhere near the same level of scrutiny.

That said the kerry job is still a very enticing position for any manager given the conveyor belt of talent that they have coming through and the fact that Dublin will at some point in the next year or two will begin regressing.   

Sport evokes a lot of passion people go over the top, he knew what he was getting into.  If you are thin skinned it's not the job for you. 

yellowcard

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on August 07, 2018, 10:20:14 AM

Sport evokes a lot of passion people go over the top, he knew what he was getting into.  If you are thin skinned it's not the job for you.

Passion is fine but what sort of an individual takes the time to sit down and write a letter having a pop at a manager. Passion in the spur of the moment is par for the course but writing hate mail is crossing the line. Then you have the recent advent of social media to have to deal with.

Any manager that is getting well paid is fair game as far as I am concerned but Fitzmaurice was not getting paid money for the job and always seemed to handle himself well. 

From the Bunker

You have to remember that Kerry lost to Mayo and Galway in Championship the last two years. That is seen as embarrassing in Kerry.

Itchy

Quote from: yellowcard on August 07, 2018, 10:32:23 AM

Passion is fine but what sort of an individual takes the time to sit down and write a letter having a pop at a manager. Passion in the spur of the moment is par for the course but writing hate mail is crossing the line. Then you have the recent advent of social media to have to deal with.

Any manager that is getting well paid is fair game as far as I am concerned but Fitzmaurice was not getting paid money for the job and always seemed to handle himself well.

I'd  like to see these letters.

yellowcard

Quote from: Itchy on August 07, 2018, 10:41:58 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 07, 2018, 10:32:23 AM

Is like to see these letters.

Apparently one of them told a Kerry player to 'jump off a cliff'.

Captain Obvious