2018 Ulster Club Minor Tournament

Started by bloody mary, December 16, 2018, 05:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newbridge Exile

Milltown Row2

If your club is playing in an Ulster final a tenner is cheap, ya bunch of cheapscates!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: LC on January 01, 2023, 05:27:35 PM
A great article in the Irish News yesterday by C O'K re the Dungiven minor team of 1990.  He mentioned Eunan O'Kane as the greatest player the world never saw, I heard about him years ago, apparently he was an unbelievable footballer.

Wasn't great at his fact checking though
Had 4 clubs who won this tournament who haven't went on to win their senior county title afterwards

Kilrea
Saul
Rostrevor
Dungannon
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

imtommygunn

A great article in the Irish News yesterday by C O'K re the Dungiven minor team of 1990.  He mentioned Eunan O'Kane as the greatest player the world never saw, I heard about him years ago, apparently he was an unbelievable footballer.

Joyce and Donnelan were on the same schools team and apparently there was a boy on the team a good bit better than either of them. Never made it. A Rossa boy scored 7-1 in a minor county hurling final though admittedly did go to soccer. Quite a few of those kind of boys about.

Wildweasel74

O'Kane was the best fballer in Dungiven for a few years in a team with a no. Of county men at the time. Only lasted a few yrs, don't know if it was injury, too fond of drink or what hapoened him.

Estimator

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 01, 2023, 07:07:20 PM

Joyce and Donnelan were on the same schools team and apparently there was a boy on the team a good bit better than either of them. Never made it. A Rossa boy scored 7-1 in a minor county hurling final though admittedly did go to soccer. Quite a few of those kind of boys about.
Sean Concannon. Had a superb game on Sean Marty Lockhart in the '94, Hogan final. Think he was in along with Joyce in the Galway management this year.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 01, 2023, 07:30:29 PM
O'Kane was the best fballer in Dungiven for a few years in a team with a no. Of county men at the time. Only lasted a few yrs, don't know if it was injury, too fond of drink or what hapoened him.

Ryan Murphy too at that time
Jerome kept calling the guy Murphy that all day, Oran i think he was
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Silver hill

Eunan was on a different planet as a footballer.
It came naturally to him and possibly a little too easy.
He was a free spirit and played the game with no inhibitions or worry about what people thought.
Came on as a sub in the 89 minor semi against Cavan with 12 mins to go and Derry 8 points down. Scored 2-2 and set up a goal to win it.
Think he won a senior championships with Dungiven in 91 but the comet began to fade shortly after that.
Not the best footballer I have ever seen but certainly the most talented. Anything was possible when he was on the ball.

Wildweasel74

Wasn't Sean, John. And yes he was the best fballer on that Galway minor team 94, think he was overage when Derry beat them the following year.

LeoMc

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on January 01, 2023, 06:18:28 PM

Wasn't great at his fact checking though
Had 4 clubs who won this tournament who haven't went on to win their senior county title afterwards

Kilrea
Saul
Rostrevor
Dungannon
Rostrevor won Senior in 98 and their Ulster minor 6 years later.
Dungannons Senior win was 31 years after their minor so I don't think there was much overlap.

bennydorano

We (Armagh Harps) won it in 2003, won our next SFC in 2017, a lot of the team were long gone but there were still a few knocking about. We got a trimming from Glen in 2011 final, backbone of our team in 2017.