China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Day 3 of lockdown here's in Barcelona, first self imposed and then mandatory. Going OK. Astounding to see images from home of crowds in temple bar last night and friends telling me about going to the pub etc. So few people seem to actually what lockdown actually implies. We keep getting asked if we're managing "to get out for walks" and the like.

When the same comes into force in Ireland, both North and South, it'll be "oh aye, we're on complete lockdown. I only brought the kids to see me mummy for half an hour and then we went to the park for a bit before a quick shop and home."

Itchy

Quote from: MayoBuck on March 15, 2020, 10:35:49 PM
Is there any truth in those WhatsApp messages of a full shut down from Tuesday? Has anyone heard it from a more reliable source?

It's scary how there's been no let up in Italy yet. They do have a much older population than us (about 25% over 65) so we should be able manage the mortality rate better. Unless the HSE gets completely overwhelmed.

They say it takes 12 days to see if something you try (lockdown) actually worked

Rudi

Quote from: gallsman on March 15, 2020, 10:43:23 PM
Day 3 of lockdown here's in Barcelona, first self imposed and then mandatory. Going OK. Astounding to see images from home of crowds in temple bar last night and friends telling me about going to the pub etc. So few people seem to actually what lockdown actually implies. We keep getting asked if we're managing "to get out for walks" and the like.

When the same comes into force in Ireland, both North and South, it'll be "oh aye, we're on complete lockdown. I only brought the kids to see me mummy for half an hour and then we went to the park for a bit before a quick shop and home."

Please explain what a lock down in Barcelona entails. Food, critical services,  non critical workers ( do they get paid), do you need documentation to go out side etc

gallsman

Allowed out of the house to:

Buy food
Buy pharmaceutical products
Go to work if unable to work from home
Attend medical appointments
Look after other sick/elderly/infirm people

No documentation but on the spot fines up to 2K can and have been handed out.

Dunno how you expect me to answer questions about people getting paid.

macdanger2

Is there any truth in those WhatsApp messages of a full shut down from Tuesday? Has anyone heard it from a more reliable source?

It's scary how there's been no let up in Italy yet
. They do have a much older population than us (about 25% over 65) so we should be able manage the mortality rate better. Unless the HSE gets completely overwhelmed.

Good explanation of the numbers here - basically the effects of full lockdown takes time to show in the numbers (because of the incubation period) but it does work

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Milltown Row2

Quote from: macdanger2 on March 15, 2020, 11:23:34 PM

It's scary how there's been no let up in Italy yet
. They do have a much older population than us (about 25% over 65) so we should be able manage the mortality rate better. Unless the HSE gets completely overwhelmed.

Good explanation of the numbers here - basically the effects of full lockdown takes time to show in the numbers (because of the incubation period) but it does work

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

With the amount of experts around now it's astonishing how the board only picked up on this after it started!

I'm jesting of course. I don't know how small, medium and even some big global companies will survive this based on their business!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JoG2

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on March 15, 2020, 10:40:49 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on March 15, 2020, 09:12:19 PM
Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on March 15, 2020, 09:04:29 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 15, 2020, 08:26:20 PM
Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on March 15, 2020, 07:56:28 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 15, 2020, 07:27:30 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 15, 2020, 07:24:11 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on March 15, 2020, 07:00:10 PM
Scary figures alright. Searchin online for some reason behind it eg large % of smokers, elderly population, elderly living with their adult children and so on. Anyone any positive spin on this from an Ireland perspective...
There is an infographic in one of today's papers with a breakdown of the underlying conditions. As known/expected; cardiovascular disease, hypertension and respiratory disease accounted for a lot of the deaths, but a significant percentage had diabetes. I haven't seen the latest age breakdown in Italy as it's moving so fast but a few days ago when the total was 803 only 2 of those were under the age of 50.

The two under 50, had they underlying conditions?

From various reports I've read from Italy the most shocking thing for me has been that it is not all older people and people with underlying medical issues. There is a significant amount of younger people in ICU units. Don't be under the illusion this is solely limited to older people and those with pre-existing conditions. While they are the most at risk they are definitely not the only ones at risk.
Let's see some of these reports.

Sorry I didn't keep a detailed log of my reading over this past while just for you. Why didn't you ask me sooner. Go and do a bit of reading up yourself or do you need to be spoon fed everything.

Surely you can substantiate your claim (significant numbers of young folk in ICUs in Italy) with a couple of links? It's a fair request all things considered, no?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/coronavirus-italy-update-young-people-hospital-luca-lorini-bergamo-a9402531.html

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-11/italy-doctors-coronavirus-covid-19-quarantine-milan-health/

https://twitter.com/ohanloncmr/status/1238926074463035392

Thanks.. Doesn't make for great reading.

Eamonnca1

Has anyone heard the recording of yer man whose mate works at Europcar? HSE / Gardai / defense forces have had a meeting. It's all under wraps for now to prevent panic-buying. They've been buying vehicles instead of leasing them because they reckon this is going to last more than three months. Come Tuesday morning there's to be an address to the nation initiating a 2-week lockdown.

Yer man: "What exactly does lockdown mean?"
Defense forces fella: "It means you don't f**ing leave your house."

Army will be on the streets to deter looting and curfew-breaking.

MayoBuck

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 15, 2020, 11:48:52 PM
Has anyone heard the recording of yer man whose mate works at Europcar? HSE / Gardai / defense forces have had a meeting. It's all under wraps for now to prevent panic-buying. They've been buying vehicles instead of leasing them because they reckon this is going to last more than three months. Come Tuesday morning there's to be an address to the nation initiating a 2-week lockdown.

Yes, that's the recording I got. Seemed very elaborate to be bullshit but who knows.

BennyCake

Following this thread is doing my blood pressure no good.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

I see you and I raise you:
https://twitter.com/drantbradley/status/1239325741386432513

A pastor in Florida keeps his megachurch open, encourages people to mingle and shake hands, and pledges to keep bible study classes going because they're "revivalists not pansies." This could wipe a significant portion of Florida's population out.

haranguerer

Quote from: MayoBuck on March 15, 2020, 11:51:22 PM

Yes, that's the recording I got. Seemed very elaborate to be bullshit but who knows.

Def bullshit

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 16, 2020, 01:03:08 AM
I see you and I raise you:
https://twitter.com/drantbradley/status/1239325741386432513

A pastor in Florida keeps his megachurch open, encourages people to mingle and shake hands, and pledges to keep bible study classes going because they're "revivalists not pansies." This could wipe a significant portion of Florida's population out.

Darwin Awards.

Well, they won't be around to vote for The Donald in the next election.
i usse an speelchekor

dublin7

Quote from: haranguerer on March 16, 2020, 09:07:48 AM
Quote from: MayoBuck on March 15, 2020, 11:51:22 PM

Def bullshit

I've a mate working in Cathal Brugha barracks and he said its rubbish