Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 12, 2019, 10:00:48 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 11, 2019, 11:34:47 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 11, 2019, 10:44:11 PM
Dessie v Dick, who would come out on top. I can't call it, both equally as bad as each other.

Don't know if it was RTEs dodgy editing for the Sunday game but dessie said Tyrone had 7 shots from 9 attacks or something to that effect, when they had 0-8 in the board.

Nope that was during the game also. He said 7 scores from 8 shots when they had scored 0-8
Tomas O'Se had a good one about the Dubs third quarter performance on Saturday.

"They had 14 attacks, which ended up with 12 shots and 10 scores.
That's 90% efficiency and they were only at 55% in the first half!"

6th sam

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 12, 2019, 10:04:59 AM
Sean O"Shea using his great experience even though he's played senior football for about 2 years lol.  I think Dick Clerkin may even be a better co commentator than him.
Don't understand the vitriol towards commentators. They have a difficult job having to quickly assimilate information in a pressurised situation and articulate it well, it's even more difficult for co-commentators who don't have a journalistic background and training.
In the studio, Some of the more experienced pundits and commentators at times sound out of touch with the modern game but in the main they all contribute positively to the experience . On the other hand, Joe brolly's personalised comments,  conduct and lack of respect to others especially towards Joanne Cantwell has no place in national TV in the modern era, it's increasingly embarrassing . Since he appears to have little self awareness or insight into his behaviour , the other pundits need to call him out rather than leaving it to Joanne , who appears isolated in trying to correct him. To use a political analogy , Much as I have issues re Sky lack of accessibility to all, and the minimal coverage of our games by the BBC , comparing RTE's Joe-centric puerile nonsense to the quality analysis of Mcconville, Clarke, Donaghy, Canavan,  Reminds me of comparing Jamie Bryson to Naomi Long . Naomi's intelligent measured and insightful analysis is too often drowned out by Jamie Bryson's populist , one-sided soundbites

imtommygunn

Yeah Dolan is harmless to be fair. He's basically the Michael Owen of GAA commentary lol. Brolly is just a fairly poisonous individual. The rest I wouldn't get too worked up about.

yellowcard

Dessie seems like a sound fellow but it is just his co-commentary that is hard enough to listen to.

Brolly thinks he is an authority on everything and can say whatever he wants and get away with it. As the media has become saturated with ex players all giving their tuppence worth Brolly has got progressively worse, perhaps he is frustrated since RTE no longer have a complete monopoly on punditry due to the advent of podcasts, radio shows and multiple TV stations.   

WhoDat

agreed. I think he sees other former players and pundits as a threat especially because he lacks deep tactical insight into the modern game so his go to method to stay relevant is to get personal with players and make sickeningly lame attempts at courting controversy

Wildweasel74

What's Brolly on about certain Mayo lads good fballers but not good men, who or what's he smoking? I only remember too well, too many days when he went missing on a good Derry team when they needed him for the hard yards and it was left to Downey and Tohill to carry the load as he went into hiding all too many days when it mattered. He can't question any Mayo player about not putting in the hard yards when he never done so himself and went awol when needed most. In away similar to what he accused  Cooper of, in big games.

gallsman

The question is rather what are you smoking, as you've either not read the article fully or because you've completely misunderstood the point he is, controversially, trying to make.

He's not questioning their commitment as footballers. He's referring to a mercenary element within the mayo panel who have knifed two management teams in the last few years. He may not be unbiased but he's not wrong about some of the power struggles that have gone on in mayo and how they have held the team back.

ballinaman

Quote from: gallsman on August 13, 2019, 07:08:23 PM
The question is rather what are you smoking, as you've either not read the article fully or because you've completely misunderstood the point he is, controversially, trying to make.

He's not questioning their commitment as footballers. He's referring to a mercenary element within the mayo panel who have knifed two management teams in the last few years. He may not be unbiased but he's not wrong about some of the power struggles that have gone on in mayo and how they have held the team back.
In what sense ?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: gallsman on August 13, 2019, 07:08:23 PM

But he is questioning their commitment to the cause! According to Brolly, some of them are not men but he fails to elaborate in this or mention the individuals he thinks are mercenaries or indicate the number involved.
but doesn't  go into detail to explain what he meant with his catchall insinuations and unproven allegations. Ergo,the whole Goddamn lot are not 100% committed to Mayo's cause.You may have attended a different school of logic than I did but I fail to see how any reasonable person will arrive at a different conclusion than I have.
Furthermore,he's wrong about Stephen Rochford's departure.
A number of influential backers put it to the County Board that they were not prepared to provide further sponshorship as long as he remained in charge.
If Brolly had bothered to do some research before he shot his mouth off,he'd have found that what I am telling you is well-known in Mayo- it was mentioned here some time ago.
It was also fairly well-documented that the players after having a meeting where they decided to get rid of Holmes and Connelly did not go public as they did not want to embarrass or humiliate either. They approached the County Board and told the officers of their decision and someone leaked this to the media.
It left H&C with no option but to stand down. Everyone involved got hurt in the process. What the players intended doing was to give their managers a chance to step down with dignity, citing pressures of work or family commitments or whatever. Again, this was fairly common knowledge at the time of the meeting and the result.Tommy Conlon in the Sindo covered this quite well and what he has found out was there for Brolly if he wanted to be an objective commentator.
If that wasn't bad enough, he let fly with an off the wall allegation that players were drafting James Horan's resignation letter but , once again, he failed to back this up in any way.
I have a strong dislike for Brolly and the reason goes back to an Ulster final where Monaghan were playing. Brolly was co-commentating . Tommy Freeman, Monaghan's ace forward works as a roofer and the week before the final he had an accident at work where he put a nail tough his hand. He still played with a heavily strapped hand and Brolly couldn't stop passing snide remarks and found it very funny that Monaghan's free taker couldn't stick a Hilti nail in a sheet of felt, never mind converting a free.
He kept the wisecracks going right up to the end and tried to involve O'Rourke and Carney ( I think) but neither responded at any time.
In my humble opinion he is beneath  contempt.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

t_mac

You should do speeches, in a home.

RedHand88

Quote from: t_mac on August 13, 2019, 11:00:23 PM

Does the home have sky?

t_mac

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 13, 2019, 11:24:24 PM

Does the home have sky?

The inference being it was so long winded and boring it would send one to sleep, so best being reclined to listen, your inference being?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: t_mac on August 14, 2019, 06:51:48 AM

Does the home have sky?

The inference being it was so long winded and boring it would send one to sleep, so best being reclined to listen, your inference being?

How so? I managed to read it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 14, 2019, 07:57:29 PM

Does the home have sky?

As someone not particularly well informed about the ins and outs of Mayo football  i personally thought it was a very well constructed and interesting post.
That was never a square ball!!

Keyser soze

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 14, 2019, 08:11:44 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 14, 2019, 07:57:29 PM

Does the home have sky?

As someone not particularly well informed about the ins and outs of Mayo football  i personally thought it was a very well constructed and interesting post.

+1