Eighth Amendment poll

Started by Farrandeelin, May 01, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of repealing the 8th amendment?

Yes
47 (21.8%)
Yes but have no vote
73 (33.8%)
No
40 (18.5%)
No but have no vote
36 (16.7%)
Undecided
20 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 216

Voting closed: May 24, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

trailer

Quote from: whitey on May 17, 2018, 03:11:59 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 17, 2018, 02:43:18 PM
https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2018/0517/964129-ben-bulben-sligo-sign/

QuoteIt was put up by men and there were women there as well, he said, making  tea and sandwiches.

I think it perfectly encapsulates the no side's attitudes that they didn't even let women build the monstrosity. Landmarks shouldn't be politicised like this, commonage or not. The law needs to change to prevent this in future.

Do you not think the part about making tea and sandwiches was tongue in cheek. How the fvck would you boil a kettle half way up a mountain?

Gas?

whitey

Quote from: trailer on May 17, 2018, 03:31:39 PM

QuoteIt was put up by men and there were women there as well, he said, making  tea and sandwiches.

I think it perfectly encapsulates the no side's attitudes that they didn't even let women build the monstrosity. Landmarks shouldn't be politicised like this, commonage or not. The law needs to change to prevent this in future.

Do you not think the part about making tea and sandwiches was tongue in cheek. How the fvck would you boil a kettle half way up a mountain?

Gas?

Well more fool them if they did.....I know what my Mrs would tell me to do!

johnnycool

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 17, 2018, 03:26:07 PM

Believe me. It wasn't tongue in cheek.

It certainly didn't read that way.
Probably should be in the WTF thread if your man was serious.

whitey

Quote from: johnnycool on May 17, 2018, 04:07:21 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 17, 2018, 03:26:07 PM

Believe me. It wasn't tongue in cheek.

It certainly didn't read that way.
Probably should be in the WTF thread if your man was serious.

I Almost sounds like a Father Ted episode.

Itchy

Miss C ( from famous c case) on RTE news asking yes side to stop using her as an example for why to vote yes and also advocating a No vote.

whitey

Quote from: hardstation on May 17, 2018, 06:27:35 PM

This is WTF in itself. A man unable to fathom how someone could be making tea without a kettle.
Have you ever had a picnic?

LOL... FFS they were up there for what, a couple of hours??    Most of them were probably locals to begin with and could have had their breakfast before they left the house.

Even if you wanted tea when you were up there Wouldn't you just bring a flask with you? You wouldn't need to be dragging a gang of women half way up a mountain to make tea and sandwiches for yin.

Sounds like $hite to me

Syferus

Quote from: whitey on May 17, 2018, 06:42:53 PM
Quote from: hardstation on May 17, 2018, 06:27:35 PM

This is WTF in itself. A man unable to fathom how someone could be making tea without a kettle.
Have you ever had a picnic?

LOL... FFS they were up there for what, a couple of hours??    Most of them were probably locals to begin with and could have had their breakfast before they left the house.

Even if you wanted tea when you were up there Wouldn't you just bring a flask with you? You wouldn't need to be dragging a gang of women half way up a mountain to make tea and sandwiches for yin.

Sounds like $hite to me

Christ.

Rudi

The youngest person with down syndrome in Iceland is 20. Clearly they have a cultural policy to eliminate the weakest or those who do not conform to some ideal model. Shame on them, hopefully Ireland does not head the same way. What choice did these babies have or were the parents coerced into making their decision. Progressive society not. Savita Halapanavar died of sepsis not for the need of an abortion. I will be voting no, I do feel huge sympathy for couples with cases of ffa.

armaghniac

Quote from: Rudi on May 17, 2018, 08:41:16 PM
The youngest person with down syndrome in Iceland is 20. Clearly they have a cultural policy to eliminate the weakest or those who do not conform to some ideal model. Shame on them, hopefully Ireland does not head the same way. What choice did these babies have or were the parents coerced into making their decision. Progressive society not. Savita Halapanavar died of sepsis not for the need of an abortion. I will be voting no, I do feel huge sympathy for couples with cases of ffa.

You will find that while Varadkar and Zappone are happy to eliminate those with mental or physical deviations when someone (in Russia or China) devises a prenatal test for homosexuality they will be singing quite a different tune.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

omaghjoe

Quote from: armaghniac on May 17, 2018, 09:00:19 PM

You will find that while Varadkar and Zappone are happy to eliminate those with mental or physical deviations when someone (in Russia or China) devises a prenatal test for homosexuality they will be singing quite a different tune.

That's pretty shocking about Iceland.
Opens a whole can of worms about designer babies/population, paying for healthcare, economic contribution etc. But I guess it's already started in a way anyway

Tho would have to say there is no possibility of a similar test for homosexuality as the genetic factor is only at 20%. Whereas for down syndrome it's 100%

gallsman

Any facts to back any of that up?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/iceland-eliminated-syndrome-abortion/#

Itchy

Someone rubbished 1:5 stat I mentioned earlier. Looking at prime time 1:5 seems reasonable assumption based on many countries.

Syferus

I love how fast some here are to judge what any couple does with advances modern science. You'd swear that a healthy baby wasn't something all parents wish to have.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Itchy on May 17, 2018, 09:59:56 PM
Someone rubbished 1:5 stat I mentioned earlier. Looking at prime time 1:5 seems reasonable assumption based on many countries.

Yeah it is I did a calc of my own 20 pages back looks more like 1in4 for eng&Wales 2016. The miscarriage thing is complicated as it it highest risk early in pregnancy and decreases with every passing week and is highly dependant on the mothers age and miscarriage history so it's difficult to factor in one way or another.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Syferus on May 17, 2018, 10:16:53 PM
I love how fast some here are to judge what any couple does with advances modern science. You'd swear that a healthy baby wasn't something all parents wish to have.

Downs syndrome aren't healthy? Fair enuff if that's your opinion
What about club foot...cleft lip...girl?