Bigotry to Darren Graham: Independent Newspapers tells-it-as-it-is again.

Started by GweylTah, August 07, 2007, 09:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GweylTah

"Last week's banner headlines were a major blow to the GAA's image, which they and their supporters like to portray as squeaky clean and beyond reproach.

But despite what you might hear, not every player is a star, not every ex-player is a legend, not every official is a character, not every manager is an affable and approachable gentleman - and not every fan is a happy, smiling, non-bigoted flag-waver.

So let's have a thorough Fermanagh County Board inquiry into the Darren Graham fiasco, let's hear which clubs had players and fans who subjected the player to such unforgiveable abuse - and let's see what stringent punishment is meted out to them."

stew

Quote from: GweylTah on August 07, 2007, 09:09:06 PM
"Last week's banner headlines were a major blow to the GAA's image, which they and their supporters like to portray as squeaky clean and beyond reproach.

But despite what you might hear, not every player is a star, not every ex-player is a legend, not every official is a character, not every manager is an affable and approachable gentleman - and not every fan is a happy, smiling, non-bigoted flag-waver.

So let's have a thorough Fermanagh County Board inquiry into the Darren Graham fiasco, let's hear which clubs had players and fans who subjected the player to such unforgiveable abuse - and let's see what stringent punishment is meted out to them."

I am confident the association will hand out the necessary punishments if and when the investigation takes place.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

inisceithleann

Enough has been written about this issue, now let the Fermanagh County Board deal with it. Why he went to the papers without making a formal complaint is beyond me. If he had of done, the County board would still have taken the appropriate action.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Orior

At last, OWC have something to take the spotlight away from them and Holly aged 8 from Kent.

PS. I heard that the NI Amalgamated Supporters club (or whatever) said that none of their fans would be attending the "Night in November" show by Patrick Kielty.

That's right OWC, you exist and there has never ever been any bigotry in Windsor Park.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

SammyG

Quote from: Orior on August 07, 2007, 10:06:46 PM
At last, OWC have something to take the spotlight away from them and Holly aged 8 from Kent.

PS. I heard that the NI Amalgamated Supporters club (or whatever) said that none of their fans would be attending the "Night in November" show by Patrick Kielty.

Why would anybody want to attend a play that tells a load of lies that even Fearon would be proud of?
Quote from: Orior on August 07, 2007, 10:06:46 PM
That's right OWC, you exist and there has never ever been any bigotry in Windsor Park.

When has anybody ever said that there has never been any bigottry at WP?

T Fearon

More shite from fcukwit Laverty in the Telegraph, who undoubtedly had a hand in the Opinion Column last Friday and styles himself an ex GAA Player. He is the worst kind of toady, pandering to the sectarian soccer mob so that they don't lynch him when he goes to Windsor Park. He should stick to doing what he does averagely, reporting on Larne Versus Loughgall games

his holiness nb

Quote from: SammyG on August 07, 2007, 10:16:12 PM
Why would anybody want to attend a play that tells a load of lies that even Fearon would be proud of?

Sammy this has been discussed before, ITS A WORK OF FICTION!!!!!
Why do you keep calling it lies??

And bank on the main point, what happened to Darren was terrible and we all hope the perpetrators are dealt with.

This does not mean this is a more widespread problem in the GAA, as much as Gweltyah gets a hard on thinking it does.
Ask me holy bollix

Uladh

Quote from: GweylTah on August 07, 2007, 09:09:06 PM
So let's have a thorough Fermanagh County Board inquiry into the Darren Graham fiasco

This sort of abuse to anyone is not acceptable.

What if the enquiry turns up more than you bargain for and Darren isn't shown in the angelic light you expect?

SammyG

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 08, 2007, 10:13:02 AM

Sorry have you read any of the (multiple) threads on this board. The shite in this play is now quoted as if it actually happened, it is not treated as a (piss poor) work of fiction it is treated as a documentary.

If I produced a play saying that Hitler was a great bloke an he never really killed all those Jews and homosexuals, would you just say 'it's a just work of fiction, he can say what he likes'.

haveaharp

Quote from: SammyG on August 08, 2007, 10:35:53 AM

If I produced a play saying that Hitler was a great bloke an he never really killed all those Jews and homosexuals, would you just say 'it's a just work of fiction, he can say what he likes'.

Mopery alert :o

SammyG

Quote from: haveaharp on August 08, 2007, 10:43:24 AM
Quote from: SammyG on August 08, 2007, 10:35:53 AM

Mopery alert :o

Aye that's right.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

QuoteIf I produced a play saying that Hitler was a great bloke

Mel Brooks has already done that
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

T Fearon

WTF is wrong with this play? It is based on the shameful sectarian scenes (including shouts of Trick or Treat glorifying a heinous indiscriminate mass murder by unionst paramilitaries in Greysteel a few weeks previously) involving North of Ireland supporters in a World Cup game with the Real Ireland team at Windsor Park. Therefore it is  100% factually based which no objective person can deny. It also features the real Ireland team's participation in USA 1994, another hard fact.

The only fictional part is Kenneth's conversion to support the real Ireland team...as if a Windsor Park diehard could become so broadminded in real life ::)

Evil Genius

Quote from: T Fearon on August 08, 2007, 10:56:53 AM
WTF is wrong with this play? It is based on the shameful sectarian scenes (including shouts of Trick or Treat glorifying a heinous indiscriminate mass murder by unionst paramilitaries in Greysteel a few weeks previously) involving North of Ireland supporters in a World Cup game with the Real Ireland team at Windsor Park. Therefore it is  100% factually based which no objective person can deny. It also features the real Ireland team's participation in USA 1994, another hard fact.

The only fictional part is Kenneth's conversion to support the real Ireland team...as if a Windsor Park diehard could become so broadminded in real life ::)

Here are some facts:
1. Author Marie Jones was not at the NI game she portrays in her play;
2. To date, Jones had never been at any NI game when she wrote the play;
3. She was only "inspired" to put pen to paper after she heard media reports the following day;
4. The events she imagined were 14 years ago;
5. Some time later, she was persuaded by her sons to attend an NI match at Windsor. She is now regularly to be seen supporting NI with her family, as part of the Green and White Army, both home and away.

Anyhow, Tony, I hope you enjoy the play. Like Jones, the rest of us in the NI support prefer these days to enjoy the team play... ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

nifan

QuoteTherefore it is  100% factually based which no objective person can deny

the person involved in the play is a fictional character - nothing about him is 100% factual.
As has been pointed out on numerous occasions its a work of fiction tony, to quote his holiness nb "this has been discussed before, ITS A WORK OF FICTION!!!!!"