Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

I've entered the lottery for this year's Dublin marathon, first round of texts coming out today and until the 10th letting people know if they get in and further round of texts will come out at start of February.

Have done the last two Omagh half marathons (pb was 1hr 57) so really hoping to get a shot at the full one in October. Goal will be keeping it under 4hrs.

laoislad

Quote from: omagh_gael on January 03, 2020, 09:27:23 PM
I've entered the lottery for this year's Dublin marathon, first round of texts coming out today and until the 10th letting people know if they get in and further round of texts will come out at start of February.

Have done the last two Omagh half marathons (pb was 1hr 57) so really hoping to get a shot at the full one in October. Goal will be keeping it under 4hrs.
I think the 10th is the first day of texts being sent, don't think they are being sent from today.
Best of luck hope you get in, it's a great Marathon.
I signed up already for 2020 as I've done the last few of them so had a guaranteed entry.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Onthe40

didn't get in.....arrrgghhhhhhhh.....

lurganblue

Do you think this will edge a lot of people towards the Belfast marathon?

Onthe40

how do they intend counteracting the 5000+ failures to show last year?

laoislad

Quote from: Onthe40 on January 10, 2020, 03:06:25 PM
how do they intend counteracting the 5000+ failures to show last year?
Always going to be no shows but that was a very high no show last year to be fair.
I see they have increased the field now to 25000 also and over 35000 applied in total.
If it gets any bigger they will have to look into changing the route surely.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ballinaman

Quote from: lurganblue on January 10, 2020, 02:52:14 PM
Do you think this will edge a lot of people towards the Belfast marathon?
Entered Belfast myself for this year! Don't think I'll bother with Dublin again !

omagh_gael

I got in!!

Got a local 10 mile race at beginning of March and then Omagh half on the 28th March. Plan to go for a slow, consistent build up of kms over the summer. Can't wait!!

TwoUpTwoDown

I've signed up for one in Killybegs come July

https://worldsmarathons.com/marathon/donegal-wild-atlantic-marathon

Won't have the crowds or atmosphere of Dublin, but a cracking location and soemthing different.

imtommygunn

I got a place too. Very injury prone these days so not sure I will make it but will give it a go.

BM be interesting to see how you get on in Belfast. If they get the distance right, if, it's a good event. There are some stinking hills round the 18 or so mile mark though lol.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 10, 2020, 08:26:05 PM
I got a place too. Very injury prone these days so not sure I will make it but will give it a go.

BM be interesting to see how you get on in Belfast. If they get the distance right, if, it's a good event. There are some stinking hills round the 18 or so mile mark though lol.

Surprised at you going for the marathon, uou much prefer the shorter distances
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I need to try one sometime. Lot of injury issues though so far from guaranteed to make the start line! Not very quick these days anyway.

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 10, 2020, 08:26:05 PM

Really? Thanks for the heads up...best year to do a race is after a c**k up because organisers pull out all the stops. Just hoping weather will be kind , if it's a hot day, PB won't go..

imtommygunn

I would say the driver of the lead car from last year may not be invited back ;D

I am not convinced it's a pb course but, distance aside, last year seemed a a massive improvement so would be a good one to do. If you are down 230s/240s you will likely be top twenty probably and might be on your own a bit though relay teams will help.

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 11, 2020, 09:56:25 AM
I would say the driver of the lead car from last year may not be invited back ;D

I am not convinced it's a pb course but, distance aside, last year seemed a a massive improvement so would be a good one to do. If you are down 230s/240s you will likely be top twenty probably and might be on your own a bit though relay teams will help.
Haha...fact , comical stuff last year ! Yep, id like to say I've done it as my dad ran Belfast back in the 80s. Do most if not all the training solo so well used to grinding it out if isolated in a race. The race is the easy bit , training is the slog. Good luck yourself giving it a crack ..it's a great goal.