Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, May 26, 2019, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on June 08, 2019, 07:05:07 PM
Quote from: Angelo on June 08, 2019, 06:49:39 PM
Quote from: Angelo on June 07, 2019, 07:20:15 AM
Quote from: J70 on June 07, 2019, 01:07:10 AM
Quote from: The Bearded One on June 04, 2019, 02:20:36 PM
In Ryan McHugh Donegal possess one the best players around for anticipating a 'flicked' pass from a kick-out with him heading towards the opposition goals...if we leave as much space for this to happen as we did against Antrim, we will be punished. I expect 2/3 Tyrone men behind midfield for every kick-out with a zonal press in front of that, I don't think we will push man on man. Patton has a brilliant ability to find his man, I think they had a 100% success rate against Fermanagh.

Would you not like to see both teams just say "f**k it" and take a chance and go for it in a shoot-out?

I hope Donegal keep three or four up the field. If they lose, so be it, but the packed defense is done.

It's about striking the balance right, we've been wide open against Division 4 sides on a number of occasions so far this year. If we do the same against Donegal we will lose.

We need to plug up the gaps that have emerged at the back in those two games but I hope we continue to move the ball with the same speed, accuracy and directness that we have done in the 2 games so far.

This was my worry and Harte got it badly wrong. All the experts have been telling Tyrone what they've been doing wrong for years now and today is probably proof if it was needed that there was merit to the way they have played in the past few years. Time and time again we were wide open through the middle, bar Rory Brennan and Hampsey we don't have good solid defenders who can stick to a man.

Other than that it was an aberration of a performance and the 4 point gap flattered us. We picked a big physical side with plenty of height around the team but were utterly destroyed in the air around the middle of the pitch. Patton's kickouts were immense.

The Harte black card was a joke of a decision and Gough rode us in the first half but it wasn't a factor in the result.

Tiernan McCann should get a ban for that, no need for it and the GAA should be changing the rules and giving 3 or 4 games bans for that kind of action as a deterrent. It's very hard to spot in a game so unlikely to get punished there and then and it will only be retrospectively it will be punished with a rather measly one game ban.

McHugh does an awful lot of diving though and Gough bought it all day long.
Agree with that re: mccann, deserves a ban. Similar to what mcmahon got away with a few e years ago,  but that sort of thing needs to be clamped down on at some stage.

The Roscommon lad that did Higgins in the eye, which was an even more dangerous action, got a 1 game ban this year. What sort of deterrent is that?

Discipline in the GAA is for the dogs, every team has players that will go out there and commit nasty and dangerous actions that seriously endanger their opponents. They will carry out these acts because the consequences are farcical. An one game ban.

If the rules were correct that would be a season ending ban but the precedent is a 1 game ban and that's all they can realistically give him until such time as the GAA get serious about it.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on June 08, 2019, 07:09:29 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on June 08, 2019, 05:34:59 PM
Quote from: hardstation on June 08, 2019, 05:27:03 PM
Quote from: lenny on June 08, 2019, 05:21:59 PM
Quote from: GJL on June 08, 2019, 05:17:51 PM
Black card was ridiculous.

Harsh but definitely a foot trip so by the letter of the law ref was correct.
Needs to be a deliberate trip to be a black card. I don't think it was deliberate.

Not remotely harsh - he led with the foot it was 100% deliberate - Tyrone and Harte can have zero complaints.
Rancid stupidity/laziness by Harte.
Such nonsense.
No way in hell that should have been a black card.

It was an olympic quality dive from McHugh. Considering some of the tackles Gough let go in the first half without even a booking of talking to, it's unbelievable he gave Harte a black card that early in. A sensible referee will know that unless you are certain you can't make big decisions like that. Gough likes to make big decisions though, he got it badly wrong.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

imtommygunn

The worst dive in the game was by Cathay mcshane.

Definitely wasn't a black card though.  How much of an impact it had on the game I am not sure.

Gough had a poor enough game all in all.

BennyHarp

Just poor all round by Tyrone today. The pre-match changes just didn't work and we never even looked like we were able to figure out a relatively straight forward kick out strategy. Hartes black card was harsh and it seemed to deflate the team.

As I suspected earlier in the week, we abandoned our game plan at the first sign of trouble. McShane caused problems when we managed to get the ball into him. I'd rather we gave a long ball in and let him battle for it, maybe winning 60-70%  of balls close to their goal, than faff around midfield and lose it there 90% of the time.

Tiernan McCann needs to have a long hard look at himself. That sort of behaviour has no place in the game and he fully deserves whatever punishment comes his way. He has been poor this season so he needs to use his suspension to focus on his game.

Fair play to Donegal, I never thought they were the outsiders that many suggested. 7/4 was a gift to those who backed them. They have a lot of pace, have good scoring forwards and a true leader in Murphy. They'll be difficult to beat.

That was never a square ball!!

armaghniac

Quote from: J70 on June 08, 2019, 06:46:22 PM
Need to get back down to earth and get the attitude right going into the final as favourites.

You'll walk the final, you only have to turn up. Go off and have a few drinks.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

balladmaker

Quote from: armaghniac on June 08, 2019, 07:32:19 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 08, 2019, 06:46:22 PM
Need to get back down to earth and get the attitude right going into the final as favourites.

You'll walk the final, you only have to turn up. Go off and have a few drinks.

Exactly, Donegal should go on the rip and enjoy that win today.  Nothing to be concerned about in the final no matter who comes through on Sunday.

Sportacus

Oh be Jaysus, they're calling for the return of the mass defence already on the Tyrone thread.  Panic has set in.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Sportacus on June 08, 2019, 07:50:35 PM
Oh be Jaysus, they're calling for the return of the mass defence already on the Tyrone thread.  Panic has set in.

Aye, one poster. Pure panic!  ::)
That was never a square ball!!

rodney trotter

Jamie Brennan is class to watch. He would even more damage playing inside

WT4E

Mickey got it wrong today big time.

Cassidy should have started.
When we needed someone to turn the game out comes aidan mcrory. Ffs

yellowcard

Harte has had his critics but that defeat today had nothing to do with Harte but rather it simply laid bare the lack of quality in that Tyrone squad. They were deficient in the basic skills of the game and had run out of ideas before half time. The score line completely flattered them.

straightred

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 08, 2019, 07:21:19 PM
Just poor all round by Tyrone today. The pre-match changes just didn't work and we never even looked like we were able to figure out a relatively straight forward kick out strategy. Hartes black card was harsh and it seemed to deflate the team.

As I suspected earlier in the week, we abandoned our game plan at the first sign of trouble. McShane caused problems when we managed to get the ball into him. I'd rather we gave a long ball in and let him battle for it, maybe winning 60-70%  of balls close to their goal, than faff around midfield and lose it there 90% of the time.

Tiernan McCann needs to have a long hard look at himself. That sort of behaviour has no place in the game and he fully deserves whatever punishment comes his way. He has been poor this season so he needs to use his suspension to focus on his game.

Fair play to Donegal, I never thought they were the outsiders that many suggested. 7/4 was a gift to those who backed them. They have a lot of pace, have good scoring forwards and a true leader in Murphy. They'll be difficult to beat.
It was a gouge and then a stamp. Shouldn't play again this summer. That might sort him out

giveballaghback

Tyrone lads complaining about diving, my mama told me they'd be days like this.

southtyronegael

Quote from: yellowcard on June 08, 2019, 08:10:26 PM
Harte has had his critics but that defeat today had nothing to do with Harte but rather it simply laid bare the lack of quality in that Tyrone squad. They were deficient in the basic skills of the game and had run out of ideas before half time. The score line completely flattered them.
nothing to do with harte? Too many unforced changes before the game and totally outwitted by Bonner and Rochford during it. Harte doesn't have Tony Donnelly to tell him what to do any more.

Under Lights

How did Liam Rafferty jump so far up the pecking order. Ruairi Brennan harshly dropped today. Cassidy too.