2019 USFC SF Dún na nGall vs Tír Eoghain, Breffni, Saturday 8th June @5pm

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, May 26, 2019, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone08

Quote from: Main Street on May 31, 2019, 09:59:40 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on May 31, 2019, 07:51:35 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 31, 2019, 05:45:02 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on May 31, 2019, 05:38:32 PM
Wonder why donegal posters are so confident. I am not confident for Tyrone but I do expect Tyrone to have a little bit too much for donegal. I looked at the donegal page on another forum and by the sounds of it Tyrone are in for a hammering. Apparently donegal are larger and more physical and have better players in nearly every position.

V. Confident for a team who have lost 2 years in a row to Tyrone, who came 2nd in division 2 and who found it difficult for large parts of the game against fermanagh
What have we got, three Donegal supporters on this thread?
Not one of us has Tyrone as anything other than favourites.
Or was my fearing you much less than Dublin too much for you to handle?

As for the Fermanagh game, I don't think I felt we wouldn't win that at any stage in that match.

If you would please re read my comment I said donegal posters in another forum where mutilple people have donegal as hot favourites. I think the match will be very close with only a few points in it. Not sure why you brought the dubs into it.
One poster on the Donegal forum on Hogan Stand happened to mention Donegal's admirable physique/athleticism  and the superior prowess of their forwards blowing Tyrone away, the rest of the posters were measured in their expectations.

I assume you missed the post about donegal having the 6 best forwards in the country. Hmmm sounds measured to be

Main Street

Quote from: tyrone08 on June 01, 2019, 10:55:04 AM
Wonder why donegal posters are so confident. I am not confident for Tyrone but I do expect Tyrone to have a little bit too much for donegal. I looked at the donegal page on another forum and by the sounds of it Tyrone are in for a hammering. Apparently donegal are larger and more physical and have better players in nearly every position.

V. Confident for a team who have lost 2 years in a row to Tyrone, who came 2nd in division 2 and who found it difficult for large parts of the game against fermanagh

As for the Fermanagh game, I don't think I felt we wouldn't win that at any stage in that match.

If you would please re read my comment I said donegal posters in another forum where mutilple people have donegal as hot favourites. I think the match will be very close with only a few points in it. Not sure why you brought the dubs into it.
One poster on the Donegal forum on Hogan Stand happened to mention Donegal's admirable physique/athleticism  and the superior prowess of their forwards blowing Tyrone away, the rest of the posters were measured in their expectations.

I assume you missed the  post about donegal having the 6 best forwards in the country. Hmmm sounds measured to be
You missed the bit where he didn't say Tyrone were in for a hammering.
Donegal have a very good forward line, a physically imposing team with plenty of individually talented footballers and could well get it together on the day

J70

I assume you missed the post about donegal having the 6 best forwards in the country. Hmmm sounds measured to be

And I'm sure there are deluded Tyrone fans who think Tyrone are odds on to win by ten points or more.

So what?

Jayop

Who gives a shit if some fans of either team are confident of winning. Fair play to them and once they're not running down the other players then it's great to see.

f**k me but it would be boring if we all agreed.

greatpoint

Is everything alright?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Fair dues to any Donegal wans overflowing with confidence, the day this fixture is meekly accepted as a foregone conclusion is the day the Ulster Championship has died.

Lean ar aghaidh! :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Main Street

A lot of empty vessels being rattled against that one impertinent Donegal fan ;D

BennyHarp

This will be the first proper test of Tyrone's changed attacking strategy and also the first proper test of Cathal McShane in his relatively new role. I hope we hold our nerve and don't return to type if things aren't working out early on.
That was never a square ball!!

GetOverTheBar

Looking forward to McShane v McGee - As Benny Harp said this will be his first proper test (against an albeit, probably waning force).

I don't think Tyrone will kick just as much on Saturday v Donegal, I can see the return of the sweeper considering that Tyrone have been leaking goals against poor enough opposition, Donegal will smell blood if they are so silly as to continue being as open.

I can understand why Donegal fans would be confident, they have played a much tougher game to date against a well drilled, if not totally likeable Fermanagh team. Tyrone would have been better coming into this one maybe on the back of the Derry game where they were given a bit of fright.

Tyrone tactics will be interesting, Donegal don't really have to change much but I think Tyrone will.

Taylor

Think it will be a tight game but we should just come out on top.
I really hope we dont revert to type and go defensive. Need to continue with the positive tactics and keep men up top.

Bookies have Donegal at 7/4 which is v surprising - would have them shorter than that

Jayop

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on June 03, 2019, 09:55:57 AM
Looking forward to McShane v McGee - As Benny Harp said this will be his first proper test (against an albeit, probably waning force).

I don't think Tyrone will kick just as much on Saturday v Donegal, I can see the return of the sweeper considering that Tyrone have been leaking goals against poor enough opposition, Donegal will smell blood if they are so silly as to continue being as open.

I can understand why Donegal fans would be confident, they have played a much tougher game to date against a well drilled, if not totally likeable Fermanagh team. Tyrone would have been better coming into this one maybe on the back of the Derry game where they were given a bit of fright.

Tyrone tactics will be interesting, Donegal don't really have to change much but I think Tyrone will.

Aye McShane against McGee is such an interesting match up. McGee mightn't be at his peak any more but there's few players in the country that have more game know how playing in that position. McShane in fairness to him is making 4/5 runs for every ball pumped into him and that's what he'll need to keep doing against McGee to get joy of him, small bursting runs over and over are a p***k to defend and can wear a man out. Tyrone just need to make sure the quality of the ball in is right.

As for Tyrone not having a test the last day out, yeah that's true  enough but as you pointed out the management team will still have learned a lot from it thanks to Antrim getting a few handy goals and even the chance they had really early in the game. Donegal have much better runners than Antrim and Tyrone will need to seal those gaps up big time. I hope we don't go with a full time sweeper, it's a waste of a player in the modern game as you're just giving them an extra player and you sacrifice possession.  There has to be another solution, just not a full time one. Maybe have a midfielder funnel back to sweep when we lose possession.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Taylor on June 03, 2019, 12:27:48 PM
Think it will be a tight game but we should just come out on top.
I really hope we dont revert to type and go defensive. Need to continue with the positive tactics and keep men up top.

Bookies have Donegal at 7/4 which is v surprising - would have them shorter than that

Donegal the value bet alright.

Main Street

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Main Street on June 03, 2019, 11:31:46 PM
An Beal Bocht  doth overflow

Says yer man, with the emptiest vessel, and poorest mouth, no less!  ;D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Jayop on June 03, 2019, 03:58:38 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on June 03, 2019, 09:55:57 AM

Aye McShane against McGee is such an interesting match up. McGee mightn't be at his peak any more but there's few players in the country that have more game know how playing in that position. McShane in fairness to him is making 4/5 runs for every ball pumped into him and that's what he'll need to keep doing against McGee to get joy of him, small bursting runs over and over are a p***k to defend and can wear a man out. Tyrone just need to make sure the quality of the ball in is right.

As for Tyrone not having a test the last day out, yeah that's true  enough but as you pointed out the management team will still have learned a lot from it thanks to Antrim getting a few handy goals and even the chance they had really early in the game. Donegal have much better runners than Antrim and Tyrone will need to seal those gaps up big time. I hope we don't go with a full time sweeper, it's a waste of a player in the modern game as you're just giving them an extra player and you sacrifice possession.  There has to be another solution, just not a full time one. Maybe have a midfielder funnel back to sweep when we lose possession.

From memory, Antrim's goal chances came as a result of Tyrone pushing up man to man on every single Antrim kick-out. Tyrone won most of the kickouts, pinning Antrim in and opening up a huge lead. However on the rare occasion Antrim won the kickout, they had runners off the shoulder in behind the Tyrone midfield and half back line. Because Tyrone had pushed up with no sweeper, Antrim were then through on goal.

Constantly pushing up man to man like this is a reckless approach and one which team's rarely employ but made sense for Tyrone in this instance  because of the vast gulf between the sides.

Tyrone will not follow the same approach this Saturday because Donegal have a better and bigger midfield capable of winning their own long range kick outs, as well as being a better running team. Although I hope that they do back themselves and still push up when the circumstances permit. Hopefully in Harte's mind this will be sufficient to restrict the opposition's goal chances because I don't think any Tyrone supporters want to see the return of the full time sweeper.