Sigerson Cup

Started by mad tan, January 21, 2016, 03:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stronghold

Quote from: bannside on February 08, 2016, 01:14:26 PM
Go back and read the relevant posts CK. Queens WON the appeal and the case was dismissed (after a 5 hour hearing).

But they have a sweat on about a few players who were apparently suspended for 12 weeks on a technicality because they were not able to turn up in person to the appeal.

Queens are hopeful this will be rescinded/overturned. That's my understanding of it...though I am quite a distance from any involvement in this.

That is also my understanding. Having had the case dismissed on Saturday, you would also expect the players to win on appeal

ck

Go back and read the relevant posts CK. Queens WON the appeal and the case was dismissed (after a 5 hour hearing).

But they have a sweat on about a few players who were apparently suspended for 12 weeks on a technicality because they were not able to turn up in person to the appeal.

Queens are hopeful this will be rescinded/overturned. That's my understanding of it...though I am quite a distance from any involvement in this.

Ah sorry I didn't read it properly. It sounds like a mountain out of a molehill then, clearly Stranmillis students are part of Queen's. In my day they had Stranmillis students playing too but no one cared cos they weren't big county star names. Now that Martin Clarke is playing it seems to have stirred again.
If QUB have been cleared then the people who are behind the allegations really should do their homework first?

The sigerson is becoming a laughing stock given the amount of farcical rows there are off the pitch.

our_fella

1/100 odds that whoever posted this, read that fool Colin Duffys facebook.

Surely we would have hear sumthing by now?

Throw ball

Quote from: our_fella on February 08, 2016, 05:40:34 PM

Surely we would have hear sumthing by now?

http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2016/02/08/news/queen-s-hit-with-sigerson-cup-punishments-411727/

This link was posted on Armagh forum.

stronghold

Quote from: ck on February 08, 2016, 05:37:06 PM

Ah sorry I didn't read it properly. It sounds like a mountain out of a molehill then, clearly Stranmillis students are part of Queen's. In my day they had Stranmillis students playing too but no one cared cos they weren't big county star names. Now that Martin Clarke is playing it seems to have stirred again.
If QUB have been cleared then the people who are behind the allegations really should do their homework first?

The sigerson is becoming a laughing stock given the amount of farcical rows there are off the pitch.

Your correct CK,in your day. But there is now a fully functioning Gaelic Club at Stranmillis.  I was told today that the rules were changed to prevent this happening but obviously who ever is in charge needs to have another look at it or forget about it altogether
I think it's time for Sigerson to become a competition for non County players.

ck

Quote from: stronghold on February 08, 2016, 06:59:28 PM
Quote from: ck on February 08, 2016, 05:37:06 PM

Your correct CK,in your day. But there is now a fully functioning Gaelic Club at Stranmillis.  I was told today that the rules were changed to prevent this happening but obviously who ever is in charge needs to have another look at it or forget about it altogether
I think it's time for Sigerson to become a competition for non County players.

Well if the rules have changed then throw the book at them. Shame on them if they knew they were break rules! Surprised at a man like James McCartan being involved in this stuff.

Yeh would certainly see the merits in making Sigerson a competition for players not on county squads. If it made the competition more honest then that would be a big plus

heffo

Quote from: our_fella on February 08, 2016, 05:40:34 PM

:o

Denn Forever

Does anyone really care aboutt the Sigerson anymore (apart from those playing in it).  County teams the half of them it would seem.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

screenexile

Did this not come up last year after the Sligo IT match?

How the f**k was it not sorted then? Are we going to have this dispute every year now?

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Denn Forever on February 09, 2016, 11:32:15 AM
Does anyone really care aboutt the Sigerson anymore (apart from those playing in it).  County teams the half of them it would seem.
Two threads on the sigerson cup here with many pages would suggest people still care.

FermGael

Where and at what time is the UUJ v St Marys at tomorrow?
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

take_yer_points

What exactly are the eligibility rules?

- Student has to be registered in the main institution? eg. Ulster University
- Student has to be registered on a specific campus in the main institution? Ulster University, Jordanstown Campus
- Student has to be registered in the main institution or a partner college and hold a valid student card? ie. Belfast Met on UU linked foundation degree (holding UU student card)
- Any minimum credit points the student has to be studying?

stronghold

Quote from: take_yer_points on February 09, 2016, 03:07:40 PM

- Student has to be registered on a specific campus in the main institution? Ulster University, Jordanstown Campus
- Student has to be registered in the main institution or a partner college and hold a valid student card? ie. Belfast Met on UU linked foundation degree (holding UU student card)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_KcdZoJ1VnZallGUG1oMTRycWM/view?pref=2&pli=1

take_yer_points

Quote from: stronghold on February 09, 2016, 03:14:58 PM
Quote from: take_yer_points on February 09, 2016, 03:07:40 PM

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_KcdZoJ1VnZallGUG1oMTRycWM/view?pref=2&pli=1

Good man. So in Byelaw (32) the following applies:

(a) A student shall be eligible to play only for the CA Club team(s) of the College or Institute where he is registered and studying, except where no CA Club exists in the relevant sporting code(s).

(b) A student of a College / Institute which does not have a CA Club in the relevant sporting code(s) may apply for permission to play for a CA Club of another College / Institute, by submitting an official CA Permission to Play form to An Coiste Feidhmiúcháin before 31 October of each academic year, and shall not play without receiving such permission.

Using the UU example, there doesn't seem to be a campus restriction (point a above) and assuming Belfast Met don't have a Club, then someone studying on a UU or QUB linked course there (eg. foundation degree) could play for UU/QUB.

Assuming Stranmillis have a club though, I can't see how those players are eligible for QUB unless as holders of a QUB student card they are deemed to be registered and studying at QUB?

ExiledGael

Quote from: FermGael on February 09, 2016, 03:04:12 PM
Where and at what time is the UUJ v St Marys at tomorrow?

In Jordanstown at 2pm