Quigleys walk out on Fermanagh

Started by The Brick, March 14, 2014, 09:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 14, 2014, 01:59:06 PM
What says Harangeur?

He was very vocal on Cavans equivalent of the Quigleys. Should the manager be removed in this instance as Bingo said and get someone in who can manage them properly. Clearly Pete McGrath hasn't a clue.

Very poor wind-up, but just in case I will swallow the bait. I'm pretty sure that Pete has proven himself at every possible level in gaelic football.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

imtommygunn

Quote from: Jinxy on March 24, 2014, 09:55:08 AM
Who'd win a fight between the Quigleys and the McGourtys?
Would any of them even show up?

Only if there was pasta afterwards. Wouldn't turn up for ham sandwiches.

haranguerer

Seamie wouldnt eat pasta - he uses those diet sheets coaches hand out at the start of a season as a food blacklist.

tintin25

What's the story with Sean and Conor? Are they back or what?

Forward line wouldn't be too bad if we had at least Tomas Corrigan and Sean Quigley.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Orior on March 24, 2014, 01:19:13 PM
What says Harangeur?

He was very vocal on Cavans equivalent of the Quigleys. Should the manager be removed in this instance as Bingo said and get someone in who can manage them properly. Clearly Pete McGrath hasn't a clue.

Very poor wind-up, but just in case I will swallow the bait. I'm pretty sure that Pete has proven himself at every possible level in gaelic football.

Substitute Johnstone for Quigley, substitute Val Andrews for Pete McGrath and then re-engage your sarcasm chip.

FermGael

Quote from: tintin25 on March 24, 2014, 05:45:16 PM
What's the story with Sean and Conor? Are they back or what?

Forward line wouldn't be too bad if we had at least Tomas Corrigan and Sean Quigley.

Fermanagh has a long history of big fish, small pond syndrome.
This is just another case of it.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

armaghniac

Fermanagh has some big fish alright, but big ponds too.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

wanderer

I am glad this has happened now, well before the championship so that this circus can be put on the back burner. I would have said that McGraths handling on the soccer episode would have dented the ego and the fall out was only a matter of time

As someone else said, I would think that that is the end of the county career. It will suit better in all the stories if he never has to do it in the championship or over a sustained period. The country is full of players who will be able to tell you about how good they were, without ever having the evidence to back it up

theticklemister

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 24, 2014, 01:48:10 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on March 24, 2014, 09:55:08 AM
Who'd win a fight between the Quigleys and the McGourtys?
Would any of them even show up?

Only if there was pasta afterwards. Wouldn't turn up for ham sandwiches.

Dunno the McGrourtys would be good at shit-talking their opponents like in the boxing. It might square the Quigley Brothers.

ExiledGael

Reporter website tonight:

Fermanagh manager Pete McGrath has confirmed that Conor and Sean Quigley are no longer part of his squad but Paul Ward has been added to the panel while a number of other unnamed players have also been approached.
A well documented fall out at training a fortnight ago between Seamus Quigley and McGrath led to all three of the brothers leaving the squad.
Last week, the Fermanagh manager confirmed that Seamus was no longer part of his plans but that the door remained open for the return of Conor and Sean.
However, the pair turned down an offer to talk through the issue and McGrath has stated that the management have "drawn a line in the sand under it and moved on".
"At this stage the Quigleys are gone," he said. " We offered to talk to Sean and Conor to try and resolve whatever issues they had but unfortunately they weren't prepared to talk unless there was a pre-condition that Seamie would be back in the panel, and that simply was not going to happen. We've drawn a line in the sand under it and moved on.
"It was their decision, reluctantly we have to let them go, but it is the two boys who are making the decision, not the management. We made it very clear, they know the situation regarding Seamus and at the end of the day the offer was made to have talks with them and the pre-condition which they set was simply a non-runner."
The former Down All Ireland winning manager accepts that when dealing with a squad of players there is always the chance of problems arising but he has no regrets and feels the management made the right decision.
"Any team and any team management can do without this at any time but these issues come when you are dealing with a group of players; there is always the potential for differences of opinion and there is always the potential for people to see things differently. But, I know personally that we have taken the only course of action we could have taken in the interests of the squad and the interests of Fermanagh football and I have no regrets at all. The matter is now closed."
McGrath also confirmed that Devenish defender Anthony McGuinness has left the panel as he was unable to commit but Derrygonnelly's Paul Ward has been added to the squad while he is also hopeful of another couple of players will also commit over the next ten days.
"Paul Ward joined the squad last night and a number of other players have been contacted and I'm hopeful that they will be with us maybe inside the next week or ten days, but I'm not prepared at this stage to reveal identities as it would be unfair to them."

tintin25

Ach bollix. Whilst we'll prob do enough to stay up, I doubt we'll make any impact in the championship. Forward line isn't good enough without them.

FermGael

That's that then. 
Cannot believe that the Sean and Conor refused to talk unless Seamie was brought back onto the panel.
Pete has dealt with it as best he could. Better to have a united and committed panel.

Very silly and the only loser is Fermanagh.

All the best Mark Harte.  Only a matter of time.....
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Knock Yer Mucker In

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 24, 2014, 09:06:08 PM
Quote from: Orior on March 24, 2014, 01:19:13 PM
What says Harangeur?

Substitute Johnstone for Quigley, substitute Val Andrews for Pete McGrath and then re-engage your sarcasm chip.

Myles you must be daft, how anyone could compare McGraths record to Andrews. Outside of Harte, Mc Grath is the most successful manager in Ulster at county level.

mylestheslasher

For the love of god!

This is what haranguer had to say on seanie Johnston/Kevin cassidy. I was just wondering why his opinion is not the same on this matter....

Let him play wherever to f**k he wants. Why should any manager be able to completely stop his inter -co career - its a joke! Same goes for Kevin Cassidy, his inter co career could conceivably be finished, over some jumped up p***k of a manager trying to form omerta. why should the players be made suffer?

haranguerer

Christ lads, its clear that it was a tongue in cheek comment from Myles, and he wasnt comparing McGrath to anyone...

Myles, they arent similar situations. If he was told he'd wouldnt be playing for Fermanagh again and so put in for a transfer, or if he'd been a shining example of how to behave as a player but was indisciplined once in a minor way and thrown off the panel as a result, then perhaps they could be compared, but not the way things are. Hes out on his own in terms of his record for one thing.

I really thought Sean and probably Conor would be back, its a real pity they're not.