Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Níl a fhios agam

point blank... does anyone think its right for a manager to approach players from neighboring clubs who may have fallen out with their club, or not be in contention of starting their own senior team? If so, what would the GAA look like if clubs took this approach and operated the same as soccer clubs. We would lose the things that make us unique to the other sports.

Milltown Row2

Would you prefer them not to play? Has your club took in outsiders? I don't know many clubs that havent
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Duine Inteacht Eile

Quote from: Níl a fhios agam on March 14, 2024, 03:16:29 PMpoint blank... does anyone think its right for a manager to approach players from neighboring clubs who may have fallen out with their club, or not be in contention of starting their own senior team? If so, what would the GAA look like if clubs took this approach and operated the same as soccer clubs. We would lose the things that make us unique to the other sports.

Is it right to do it with managers?

Lár na páirce 1

It's not EL portglenone need it's a shrink there's a real mental block there with the Eddie fitz champions.

marty34

Quote from: Lár na páirce 1 on March 14, 2024, 03:53:40 PMIt's not EL portglenone need it's a shrink there's a real mental block there with the Eddie fitz champions.

That's been a clear issue for them over the past few years for sure.

They have good talent coming though so they should be there or there abouts for a while but they'd need to get over the line in the championship.

Caesar

Quote from: InnocentByStander on March 14, 2024, 01:46:33 PMEveryone wants to be the best, so compare yourself to the best, at one point in time it was st galls at this point in time its Cargin.

Looking at the production line of players coming through, it looks like Cargin will be the benchmark for quite some time

Níl a fhios agam

Maybe its different around Belfast MR2, maybe you boys wouldnt lose any sleep over a St.Galls man jumping across to Johnnies or Rossa. But for my club, i know it would be hurtful to see a home grown player play for a neighboring club.

Point being, is it ok for a MANAGER to make these approaches to these guys. Managers come and go, club will be left to deal with the shit after his wee venture is over

Níl a fhios agam

[/quote]
Is it right to do it with managers?
[/quote]

No, my club have had 2 outside managers and were no better for it, 1 left a dint in the bank account but ultimately our club men have served us well with what we have

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Níl a fhios agam on March 14, 2024, 04:32:45 PMMaybe its different around Belfast MR2, maybe you boys wouldnt lose any sleep over a St.Galls man jumping across to Johnnies or Rossa. But for my club, i know it would be hurtful to see a home grown player play for a neighboring club.

Point being, is it ok for a MANAGER to make these approaches to these guys. Managers come and go, club will be left to deal with the shit after his wee venture is over

It's no different in any club but you're happier for a player to be lost to the GAA than play.

Like I said I don't know any club that hasn't a player from another club.

I also wouldn't personally get my knickers in a twist about it. I never lost out on my place in the team to an outsider  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

I don't understand the hatred for Portglenone. A decent club who have served the county well with players and officials.

Belfast GAA man

Belfast GAA man

Do teams getting relegated from
Div one now or is on champions hip ?

Níl a fhios agam

Quote from: paddyjohn on March 14, 2024, 07:40:49 PMI don't understand the hatred for Portglenone. A decent club who have served the county well with players and officials.

That statement doesnt apply to me, i have friends and family from Casements, but id tell them the same, I think proactively recruiting players from neighboring clubs is wrong

NorthAntrim

Quote from: Níl a fhios agam on March 15, 2024, 09:02:49 AM
Quote from: paddyjohn on March 14, 2024, 07:40:49 PMI don't understand the hatred for Portglenone. A decent club who have served the county well with players and officials.

That statement doesnt apply to me, i have friends and family from Casements, but id tell them the same, I think proactively recruiting players from neighboring clubs is wrong

JMK hasnt sent a Greenlough player a text asking him to transfer. EL played in London having reportedly fell out with his home club. If back living in the area and playing no football at all, is a text message saying you fancy playing a bit as a big an issue as youre making out? Answer to that is no

EOC1923

Quote from: NorthAntrim on March 15, 2024, 10:04:57 AM
Quote from: Níl a fhios agam on March 15, 2024, 09:02:49 AM

JMK hasnt sent a Greenlough player a text asking him to transfer. EL played in London having reportedly fell out with his home club. If back living in the area and playing no football at all, is a text message saying you fancy playing a bit as a big an issue as youre making out? Answer to that is no
Had the odd dig at Portglenone for the craic to wind Bannside up in the past but at least they are making an attempt to progress unlike so many other teams that are going backwards. Former big name teams looking like in a few years they will be well down the divisions (if that is possible with a 16 team division 1)  :-[