Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost+Tommy

Tea is my preferred beverage guys,Saturday week will tell

InnocentByStander

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 14, 2023, 03:28:27 PM
You may well come away with the win but your post will still reflect very badly on you. Cesspit? Really?

True, he is one to talk after the abuse our players took from their support in a league game in hightown...

bannside

Can't see it either G&T. Lamhs going through the gears nicely and will not exit this championship easily in my view. Power and pace where it matters, too much for us yesterday, although we were a bit lighter than usual.

Lár na páirce 1

Quote from: bannside on August 14, 2023, 04:44:49 PM
Can't see it either G&T. Lamhs going through the gears nicely and will not exit this championship easily in my view. Power and pace where it matters, too much for us yesterday, although we were a bit lighter than usual.

Ports slightly off it yesterday Lamhs impressive enough with PF back in middle look stronger ,good to see some sampling a shandy pre match also at the home of the champions.

geezer

St Endas wont beat LD.

1/4 final predictions:

Creggan v PG1
LD v Dunloy
Cargin v Aghagallon
St Brides v Rossa

bannside

Excellent pint it was...certainly wasn't going for one post match EOC, lol.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Ghost+Tommy on August 14, 2023, 01:34:13 PM
We've nothing to fear in Hannahstown,we won't be and never have been bullied in that cesspit,on our day we can beat anybody,roll on Saturday week
Cesspit lol   Taken relegation bad lad

paddyjohn

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on August 15, 2023, 06:38:00 PM
We've nothing to fear in Hannahstown,we won't be and never have been bullied in that cesspit,on our day we can beat anybody,roll on Saturday week

Who is in charge of St Endas this year?

country bumpkin

Quote from: paddyjohn on August 15, 2023, 09:15:55 PM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on August 15, 2023, 06:38:00 PM

Who is in charge of St Endas this year?
Carl Mc Caigue.......

bannside

No. Carl McCabe. Ex St Galls and Omagh. Good operator, but hands severely tied at St Endas, approx 7 players missing or unavailable since last year.

Saffrongael

Is it just a given that nobody in St Endas will take a senior team ? Hurling or football ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Milltown Row2

I can understand why certain clubmen, well regarded and with plenty of playing and coaching experience would not take on a senior team within the their own club.

Have you ever tried it? Its the most poison chalice position, automatically your are falling out with people left right and center, barflies are questioning your selections and tactics, your training methods are up for debate and nowadays with the fecking groups chats players feel they need to express everything!!

You wouldn't touch it with a barge pole if you have any sense, but, if you are an 'outsider' you have no baggage, you don't hang about in the club, or have 'real' friends other than the staff you have helping you out, so not too bothered if Paddy thinks your a dick
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Last Man

Quote from: Saffrongael on August 16, 2023, 10:03:09 AM
Is it just a given that nobody in St Endas will take a senior team ? Hurling or football ?
If you'd ever managed a Senior team you would know that players demand a certain level of credibility rightly or wrongly. We obviously don't have any members with 4 or 5 senior medals in their pocket and unfortunately thats what it takes to keep the modern player's ego in check for they always think they know better.  Its all well and good for the clubs with that history but mark my words it'll be the same for all  senior clubs in a year or 2. No-one is a prophet in their own land.

InnocentByStander

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 16, 2023, 10:12:03 AM
I can understand why certain clubmen, well regarded and with plenty of playing and coaching experience would not take on a senior team within the their own club.

Have you ever tried it? Its the most poison chalice position, automatically your are falling out with people left right and center, barflies are questioning your selections and tactics, your training methods are up for debate and nowadays with the fecking groups chats players feel they need to express everything!!

You wouldn't touch it with a barge pole if you have any sense, but, if you are an 'outsider' you have no baggage, you don't hang about in the club, or have 'real' friends other than the staff you have helping you out, so not too bothered if Paddy thinks your a dick

All you got to do is look at Lavey, that is a prime reason why no one would touch their own senior team with a pole!

EOC1923

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 16, 2023, 10:38:42 AM
Quote from: Last Man on August 16, 2023, 10:25:09 AM
Quote from: Saffrongael on August 16, 2023, 10:03:09 AM
If you'd ever managed a Senior team you would know that players demand a certain level of credibility rightly or wrongly. We obviously don't have any members with 4 or 5 senior medals in their pocket and unfortunately thats what it takes to keep the modern player's ego in check for they always think they know better.  Its all well and good for the clubs with that history but mark my words it'll be the same for all  senior clubs in a year or 2. No-one is a prophet in their own land.

It's mad that you can bring in people who don't have 4 or 5 senior medals in their pocket.
And your clubmen who don't have 4 or 5 senior medals in their pockets have no problem getting work elsewhere.

The points about prophet in your own land are valid but money is undoubtedly a significant motivating factor.
The point about managers from your own club managing elsewhere might be relevant in Derry or Tyrone but not much in Antrim apart from McNultys.
Looks to me like most if not all these managers are teachers by profession or else retired, hence they have a lot more expendable time (earlier daily finish and 2 months off in summer). Managing a team is obviously something they want to do in life and given the amount of time being given up they are then compensated for it (which generally wont happen if taking your own club). I'm assuming this is why they do it.
Honestly don't see a problem with it if no one at that current time within club is prepared to do it, what else can you do.