Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffsof82

Quote from: bannside on July 20, 2023, 08:33:32 PM
Agree 100% on Niall Burns, definitely county standard.

Fine player Niall, expect to see him called up along with Tiernan MCCormick. Seriously young senior panel.

SaffronSports

Quote from: Saffsof82 on July 26, 2023, 11:32:52 PM
Quote from: SaffronSports on July 26, 2023, 09:37:55 PM
I mentioned above a project I was going to work on for the Senior Football Championship.

I posted the first few profiles tonight on FB, Twitter and Instagram so I thought I would copy out the text parts and post them here for you to read.

St John's

What are the minimum expectations for the Championship?
At least reach the last eight of the competition.

Who is your key player?
Key players this year will be Pat McBride and Paudie Nugent.

Does your club have a player that you think could make a breakthrough in this Championship?
Young Connor Hand and Conchur Adams will be breaking through this year.

Is there another team in the Championship that you think people might be surprised by?
Portglenone have had a great league campaign so watch them.

If you don't win it, who do you think will?
Cargin will be hard to beat.

Rossa

To qualify out of the group.

Who is your key player?
Dominic McEnhill.

Does your club have a player that you think could make a breakthrough in this Championship?
Ruairi Grant young half back has had a good league first year at senior level.

Is there a team in the Championship that you think people might be surprised by?
Us, Rossa.

Tough call I'm going for Portglenone to carry their league form into the championship.

Creggan

Win it.

Who is your key player?
Conor Small.

Dominic McAteer.

Is there another team in the Championship that you think people might be surprised by?
No.

Cargin.

Moneyglass

Quarter final stage. 

Who is your key player?
Tiernan McCormack.

Break through players would be again Tiernan (only 17) and Paul Duffin.

St Galls could be a surprise team given they're in a group of three and have a good chance of making a quarter final and who knows from there...

I think the championship is very open... Portglenone and Cargin final for me with Portglenone just getting over the line!

I'm still looking people to answer those five questions for most of the other teams in the Senior Championship so if anyone wants to do it, send me a message. If someone supports a team from outside the senior championship, feel free to answer the questions for those teams as well and I'll add a post in as well.

Where is this at?

They're on Twitter/Instagram/Facebook under my user name on here.

SaffronSports

Another 3 senior profiles and an intermediate one.

Randalstown

The main expectation for the championship for us would be improving on our performance from last year and hopefully picking up the points to proceed from the group stages and then take it from there.

Who is your key player?
We've many key players within our squad but I have been very impressed with Ryan "Musher" Crilly who has been playing some stuff this year.

I think young Paul McCloskey can cause a breakthrough this championship. He has had a brilliant league campaign thus far and he'll be a handful for any team in the competition.

The obvious answer would be St Brigids as we haven't seen them with their full team yet, they would be my surprise package this year.

A toss up between Creggan and Cargin they've been the benchmark for the rest of the county in recent years and I expect one of them sides to come out on top. this year.

Portglenone

Tough group so one game at a time for us. Obviously reaching a county final would be another step forward after the heartbreak of the last couple of seasons.

Who is your key player?
Dermot McAleese and Niall McKeever.

Daniel McNicholl has had a great league campaign.

Rossa

Cargin are the team to beat and the standard setters.

St Brigid's

We would be disappointed to not make the semis.

Who is your key player?
Ronan Boyle.

Niall Duffy could breakthrough and be a starter for championship.

I think Rossa could do well and surprise people.

Cargin would always have to be favourites.

Glenravel

After last year, hopefully another final appearance but it's championship so who knows.

Who is your key player?
Ryan McQuillan or Eamon Fyfe.

Yes, Eamon Ward is a great prospect.

Ardoyne.

More than likely Aldergrove.

Don't know if I'll manage to get any more or not. Messaged multiple people from each club but got ghosted which is obviously fair enough at this time of year.

Stillwater2

Some big wins last night in some of the IFC games. Possibly more of the same tonight into SFC.

imtommygunn

I see the poor auld saffron voice got blocked by the county twitter account  ;D

Most games went to script last night. Probably be a while until the real stuff starts really. Ahoghill looked ld a decent game and randalstown put it up to the johnnies.

Aghagallon st brigids could be interesting with both having full teams out.would expect cargin, portglenone and Creggan to win the others.

imtommygunn

Portglenone and Creggan both getting it tight.

imtommygunn

All to script bar st Brigids beating aghagallon. Cargin laying down a marker and the rest of the games tight enough. (I'm assuming Creggan won as I haven't seen an update since late on when they were ahead.)

SaffronSports

Story of the opening round must be St Brigid's beating Aghagallon. First real test for them and passed it. Think, if I'm not mistaken, that could mean a potential Cargin vs Aghagallon QF if Cargin top their group and Aghagallon end up 2nd in their group.

delgany

Quote from: SaffronSports on July 29, 2023, 09:06:22 PM
Story of the opening round must be St Brigid's beating Aghagallon. First real test for them and passed it. Think, if I'm not mistaken, that could mean a potential Cargin vs Aghagallon QF if Cargin top their group and Aghagallon end up 2nd in their group.

There were a few ' beatings' dished out at Aghagallon !

Hoof Hearted

Yeah I think you're correct there
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

paddyjohn

Quote from: delgany on July 29, 2023, 09:28:44 PM

By who

breakingball

St brigids winning is not a shock. Unless you haven't a clue

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: delgany on July 29, 2023, 09:28:44 PM

Video circulating of a brawl at the end of that and looks like aghagallon didnt take defet well at all at all

Ghost+Tommy

We were beat but can take a few positives out off it,I think we can take a pt or 2 in the remaining games against LD and the cloney men🤞,on the biddies/Aghagallon game,surely suspensions forth coming for both teams,but saying that there had been a nasty/sledging thing crept into the south belfast outfit  lately and the lavey contingent won't have lessened it any

EOC1923

Quote from: Ghost+Tommy on July 30, 2023, 01:43:52 PM
We were beat but can take a few positives out off it,I think we can take a pt or 2 in the remaining games against LD and the cloney men🤞,on the biddies/Aghagallon game,surely suspensions forth coming for both teams,but saying that there had been a nasty/sledging thing crept into the south belfast outfit  lately and the lavey contingent won't have lessened it any
Have to agree with your last couple of sentences, they are a nasty outfit, However as you can see in the video clips the BT9ers have no bravery to back the bravado up.