Britain's level of defence spending isn't related to real threats

Started by SuperMac, December 10, 2008, 06:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperMac

Interesting article from the Guardian regarding britian's military spending.
" we are already sloshing out £32bn a year on a programme whose purpose is a mystery........why we need attack submarines, destroyers, Eurofighters and anti-tank weapons. Are the Russians coming? Is Angela Merkel preparing to mobilise a few Panzer divisions? It is preposterous to suggest that we face the threat of invasion, now or in the foreseeable future. "

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2006/nov/28/comment.politics

To me it gives an idea of the mindset of the british establishment for holding on to the six counties in order to kid themselves their still some sort of imperial military power etc. BTW britian has the highest military spending in Europe and together with America (527 billlion), spends more than the rest of the world put together.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:2007_top_10_countries_by_military_expenditure_MER.svg

dodgy umpire

dissident republicans will be thrilled to hear that somebody is taking them seriously
The Boys in Red and Black are back

SuperMac

Quote from: dodgy umpire on December 10, 2008, 07:12:52 PM
dissident republicans will be thrilled to hear that somebody is taking them seriously
I didn't think that nuclear submarines, bomber planes etc were neccessary to combat micro organisations like the Real IRA ?

mountainboii

Its often said that a county's level of defence spending says a lot about their standing in the world.

So the statistic that the US, with approx. 4% of the world's population, is responsible for approx. 50% of the world's defence force spending speaks volumes.

dodgy umpire

Quote from: SuperMac on December 10, 2008, 07:20:52 PM
Quote from: dodgy umpire on December 10, 2008, 07:12:52 PM
I didn't think that nuclear submarines, bomber planes etc were neccessary to combat micro organisations like the Real IRA ?

me neither. it was a joke
The Boys in Red and Black are back

SuperMac

Quote from: AFS on December 10, 2008, 07:46:51 PM
Its often said that a county's level of defence spending says a lot about their standing in the world.

So the statistic that the US, with approx. 4% of the world's population, is responsible for approx. 50% of the world's defence force spending speaks volumes.
Good point AFS. And it's probably the biggest arms exporter also.

Zapatista

In ten years it will have become an investment. The Brits can sell these weapons to the Governments they put on place in Iraq and Afghanistan. They can also sell them to up and coming Governments in Africa who will need them to protect new democracy's from starving Africans in bare feet from taking over.

I was at a Public meeting a few months back re. Lisbon. A local FG cllr told the meeting we need to support Lisbon or the Brits will withdraw the RAF from protecting Irish air space and Irish waters. He also said that the threat of withdrawal meant it was important we increased military spending (as outlined in the treaty) to be prepared should the British withdraw the RAF. Are we under threat from an invasion? Now that Iceland has gone to the dogs are they getting ready to invade Ireland to boost their economy? Are we now being protected by the only country to ever invade us and who continue to occupy us? Is this a case of Stockholm syndrome? I didn't ask him these questions as I'm not much good in public. The next Irish government are obviously happy with the level of spending the Brits are doing.

shark

Quote from: AFS on December 10, 2008, 07:46:51 PM

And ours is the lowest in the EU, as a percentage of GDP. About 0.7% I think.