Forward Play - First Time Football

Started by AbbeySider, June 25, 2008, 02:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Feck Armagh, feck Kerry, Feck, Clarke , McDonnell and Donaghy, this tactic was reborn with the ultra successful tactic of the Monkey and me.  Ye all knew it and no one could cope with it.  Leave the space for the big Lummox(me) to come out and win the cross field ball from the wing backs, (the Saddler and McShane) whereupon said Lummox gave the ball to the real footballers,aforementioned Monkey, Oisin, Tony and John Mac and the Crow to hit the scores.

Simple when you know how ;D

AbbeySider

Also if you look at Armagh in the last few years they used to split defences quite effectively by using cross field diagonal balls from one wing to another. It was used to great effect where a right/left half back would draw defenders to one side and then switch the play to the to the far wing where a forward made a very early run and had acres of space.

Crossmolina also employed this with McD sending cross field diagonal balls to Benson etc.

AZOffaly

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 25, 2008, 03:29:58 PM
Regarding kicking the ball into the full forward line, I wouldnt be in favour of kicking the ball into the corner at all because it takes at least two passes to get the ball out of the corner and into a scoring position.
Corner forwards should be running into the middle ground perhaps cris-crossing or run towards a target man to get a break, or start their run from the corner and run into space out the wing. Also making diagonal and horizontal runs as previously mentioned buy I think kicking or playing the ball into corners can be a disaster.

Sorry Abbey, I should have been more explicit. By 'into the corners' I meant 'into the corner forwards'. I don't mean kicking it into the corner flag. Corner forwards making runs diagonally out or horizontally across the pitch, and the ball being kicked into them. I should have clarified that, sorry.

(alternatively, and for a 'change up' kick that ball with snow on it into the big ignorant ugly full forwards like BC1 and , as he says, let the real footballers feed off the breaks. :D )

heganboy

BC,
I was wondering why no-one had mentioned your AI's to this point. What is Donaghy but a second rate BC anyway was a remark I heard at the last Armagh Kerry game, made me smile anyway...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

AbbeySider

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 25, 2008, 03:37:24 PM
(alternatively, and for a 'change up' kick that ball with snow on it into the big ignorant ugly full forwards like BC1 and , as he says, let the real footballers feed off the breaks. :D )

Ya, in high to the big target man... "He's a good man to bust up the play."   :P  :D

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: heganboy on June 25, 2008, 03:41:01 PM
BC,
I was wondering why no-one had mentioned your AI's to this point. What is Donaghy but a second rate BC anyway was a remark I heard at the last Armagh Kerry game, made me smile anyway...

He is privileged to be mentioned in the same sentence as me :P

ONeill

McEntee had been hitting McDonnell and Clarke for yonks.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyHarp

The best exponent of getting the ball in early to the corner forwards was Greg Blaney to Mickey Linden in the early nineties - some of their play was a joy to watch and nearly like Blaney knew exactly where Linden was going to be before he kicked it!
That was never a square ball!!