Vitriol and Hatred in the GAA....

Started by 5 Sams, July 09, 2013, 09:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: armaghniac on July 10, 2013, 12:23:29 AM
QuoteWhat's Lidl got to do, got to do with it?

They should have put their shop on the respectable side of town, like those owned by the nice Mr Dunne and Mr Sainsbury.

They should've knocked down the town hall, and built it on the county border, so then everyone would've been happy.

Tubberman

Quote from: Bingo on July 09, 2013, 11:38:49 PM
We played a club league game against the neighbours from out the road. They've been up and down to Div 1 and it's always been tasty. Game was out in their place, a tight pitch. From the second the ball was thrown in it was a battle, serious hits going in, late tackles, off the ball stuff, one jersey was shredded, about a dozen booked and two saw red (both on two yellows, one each game). Two sets of first cousins played against one another, I was along line but could hear several arguments in the crowd. No one took a backward step and although it was tough, it was never false.

Ended a draw and at final whistle to a man the players shook hands, laughed and left it all in the field. Was totally enjoyable.

The next game is eagerly awaited and will be a firecracker waiting to explode!

Fights in the crowd, fights on the pitch, jerseys ripped, double-digit bookings - and this is something to be lauded in Ulster GAA ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

seafoid

Michael Duignan's wife died of cancer at a very young age and there was a big funeral which he described in his autobiography. While he was busy meeting people Henry Shefflin and a few other Kilkenny hurlers were out the back of the house pucking around with his 2 sons, keeping them occupied.

I think the GAA is strong on dĂșthracht.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

omagh_gael

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

fearglasmor

Quote from: 5 Sams on July 09, 2013, 09:57:31 PM
No Keane/Haaland scenarios here. Or is there? Discuss?

I don't think Roy Keane would have lasted in Gaelic Football. Him and his attitude would have been sorted out fairly quickly.

Rossfan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 10, 2013, 10:05:56 AM
Quote from: omagh_gael on July 10, 2013, 09:50:52 AM
All Ros posters and syferus?

Rossfan and Syferus.
Not any more - he's on my ignore list now  ;D
But just in case I've got Mike Sheehy in my corner  8)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Wildweasel74

our local club played the near neighbours last year. 2 brothers playing for opposing teams ended up fighting with each other, with a  third brother breaking it up. Ref said there no point booking youse lot, i let you sort it outself at home later lads lol

Shamrock Shore

Biggest crowd ever at a club match in Longford outside of the county final was when Colmcille played Connollys about 20 years ago.

Two brothers had left Connollys to play for neighbouring Colmcille and there was bad blood left.

So all turned up expecting boots and fists to fly. But to describe it as a damp squib would have been an insult to submerged squibs. Not one foul or cheap belt was landed.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 10, 2013, 08:09:29 PM
Biggest crowd ever at a club match in Longford outside of the county final was when Colmcille played Connollys about 20 years ago.

Two brothers had left Connollys to play for neighbouring Colmcille and there was bad blood left.

So all turned up expecting boots and fists to fly. But to describe it as a damp squib would have been an insult to submerged squibs. Not one foul or cheap belt was landed.

Point of order - two brothers left Colmcille for Connolly's, one brother stayed behind.  And it was a championship match, so there would have been a crowd anyway.  And there was no dodgy Mostrim ref to send off Colmcille lads for being from Colmcille.   :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Shamrock Shore

Quotetwo brothers left Colmcille for Connolly's

You know - I had originally written that and then said, nah, it can't be true. Why would anyone join Connollys voluntarily. So I switched it around.

Apologies Billy.

But the days of Mostrim refs being hard on Colmcille are sadly long over  :-[

seafoid

Quote from: Billys Boots on July 11, 2013, 09:29:09 AM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 10, 2013, 08:09:29 PM

Point of order - two brothers left Colmcille for Connolly's, one brother stayed behind.  And it was a championship match, so there would have been a crowd anyway.  And there was no dodgy Mostrim ref to send off Colmcille lads for being from Colmcille.   :P
Ultan Macken had a short story about a similar case with 3 brothers and 2 teams . 

http://books.google.ch/books?id=M9svAQAAIAAJ&q=hurley+stick&hl=de&source=gbs_word_cloud_r&cad=5
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Farrandeelin

There was a few years when I hated Crossmolina. Now the poor divils are to be pitied as they have only relegation from the top flight to play for from now until the end of the year. ;)

ballinaman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 11, 2013, 01:40:42 PM
There was a few years when I hated Crossmolina. Now the poor divils are to be pitied as they have only relegation from the top flight to play for from now until the end of the year. ;)
Ye're an aggressive bunch aren't ye beyond Childers Heights....

Farrandeelin

Quote from: ballinaman on July 11, 2013, 01:48:54 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 11, 2013, 01:40:42 PM
Ye're an aggressive bunch aren't ye beyond Childers Heights....
Hard to believe it'll be 10 years this Christmas since the trilogy of games when we beat Cross in the league final, the fact that it was held in Ballina made it all the more sweeter! :D