On the road sales executives - Ireland

Started by The Iceman, March 03, 2017, 02:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

Mate of mine is embarking on a sales career that will involve travel all over Ireland and I was chatting to him about the different perks over here in the U.S with credit card points, hotel rewards, flight rewards etc...

anything similar in Ireland you would recommend? He will use his own credit card and expense at the end of the month so good opportunity (if he here) to get points but I'm not sure if that's even available at home?

any hotel chains you would recommend for rewards programmes?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

T Fearon

Dont know about rewards points but Irish hotels are quite amenable to changing reservation dates.

AZOffaly

Quote from: The Iceman on March 03, 2017, 02:56:40 PM
Mate of mine is embarking on a sales career that will involve travel all over Ireland and I was chatting to him about the different perks over here in the U.S with credit card points, hotel rewards, flight rewards etc...

anything similar in Ireland you would recommend? He will use his own credit card and expense at the end of the month so good opportunity (if he here) to get points but I'm not sure if that's even available at home?

any hotel chains you would recommend for rewards programmes?

Carlton Hotels operate a system like that, it's fairly good. Actually to be honest I think most of the US/International chains do. Hilton Rewards is another, and I think the Radissons do as well.

The Iceman

Good man AZ - there doesn't seem to be credit cards points like there would be here? I checked a site called bonkers.ie and the cards just give 0.5% cash back - no real reward points or air miles or the like..
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

armaghniac

Quote from: The Iceman on March 03, 2017, 06:16:14 PM
Good man AZ - there doesn't seem to be credit cards points like there would be here? I checked a site called bonkers.ie and the cards just give 0.5% cash back - no real reward points or air miles or the like..

IMHO there is a no really good credit card deals in Ireland now. There is a Ryanair card and as Tesco one.
I'm not quite sure why with SEPA that you cannot get the Air Mile cards from the big alliances (LH AF etc) but these still seem restricted to particular places.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Puckoon

Is he American or Irish? We use Chase and skip out on all foreign transaction fees, accumulate points by the bucketload, and they will actually protect all your travel related activities up to $100/day for lost luggage, trip insurance, and car insurance.

OgraAnDun

I think Amex give decent cashback on some of their cards if you can find somewhere that accepts them.

armaghniac

Quote from: OgraAnDun on March 03, 2017, 07:18:00 PM
I think Amex give decent cashback on some of their cards if you can find somewhere that accepts them.

I used have one with 1% cashback, but they stopped selling it years ago in ROI.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

The Iceman

Quote from: Puckoon on March 03, 2017, 07:17:16 PM
Is he American or Irish? We use Chase and skip out on all foreign transaction fees, accumulate points by the bucketload, and they will actually protect all your travel related activities up to $100/day for lost luggage, trip insurance, and car insurance.
Irish fella in Ireland. I was telling him about the perks of an on the road sales man here and he asked if there was something similar at home - I presumed there was but the research has proved otherwise - at least on the credit card points..

Puckoon

You'd have to imagine there's some sort of set up, but maybe not.

bennydorano

I have an Ulster Bank CC & they closed their rewards scheme a year or two ago, can't remember if they did because they're tightshites or it was a legal thing? Was a great job while it lasted.