GAA journalism

Started by qwerty123, July 02, 2012, 12:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheamy

LilySavage

Brolley referring to players as prima donna because they have dyed blonde hair? Is this the same clown who used to embarass the whole GAA world with his ridiculous blowing of kisses to the crowd when he scored a goal? Does he think Aidan O Se of Mayo is a primna donna (he of the same blonde highlights)? Well again Brolleys Sunday prediction was wrong. Breffni was certainly packed on Sunday but it was the away team who packed it and not with 'Cavan folk'. Incidentally, 2 weeks ago his headline prediction before Meath V Kildare was that 'Banty and Meath are a good match- they are both finished'. Again Brolley was spectacularly wrong. He has become the circus pony of the GAA, the clown who spouts nonsense in the belief that some day his nonsense will be proved accurate. Keep predicting Joe, throw enough sh1t and even you may make some of it stick.

Onlooker

Top class article from Brolly there.  He is saying what a lot of us think, but something that most journalists feel they can not write.

IolarCoisCuain

Brolly isn't a journalist. He's a barrister by profession. He appears on TV and here in the Mail as a pundit, which is a different thing.

A journalist's job is to find out what's going in the world he or she is asked to cover, and then inform the public about what they need to know. A pundit's job is to either offer insightful analysis based on past experience and/or expertise, or else hop balls to get people talking and generate revenue for the media organisation.

In the best cases, you get someone who can be both - Darragh Ó Sé in the Irish Times is, for my dollar, hands down the best at both. He's tremendously insightful and very honest about the reality, other than the ideal, of football. And because he's a Kerryman he cannot but hop a ball every now and again. It'd be like asking a dog not to bark. But generally, pundits go for one or the other - knowing your stuff or acting the bollocks.

In soccer terms, Johnny Giles does the former, Dunphy the latter. In rugby, Pope does the analysis and Hook talks the bollocks. O'Rourke does the analysis on football and then Spillane or Joe acts the eejit. They're both making good pocket money from it so they certainly aren't actual eejits.

On the matter of this particular article, I don't think there's a true comparison between Seánie Johnson and Conor Mortimer, other than a certain degree of selfishness. That's not a unique trait though - if you're a scoring forward there has to be a certain level of selfishness, or else you pass it off and don't take your scores.

Otherwise though, there isn't a comparison at all. Conor Mortimer walked off a panel, and Seanie Johnson walked onto on one. Conor didn't want to play, Seánie wanted to play so badly that he can never go home again without this being thrown at him. Those seem like two completely opposite trait to me.

Unless there's another reason that Seanie is doing it of course, which I can't possibly imagine. But if there is, Joe didn't write it. Bit too interested in acting the bollocks than telling us what's going on, maybe.

Dinny Breen

Unless there's another reason that Seanie is doing it of course, which I can't possibly imagine. But if there is, Joe didn't write it. Bit too interested in acting the bollocks than telling us what's going on, maybe.

Delicious irony.
#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 18, 2012, 11:19:29 AM
Brolly isn't a journalist. He's a barrister by profession. He appears on TV and here in the Mail as a pundit, which is a different thing.

A journalist's job is to find out what's going in the world he or she is asked to cover, and then inform the public about what they need to know. A pundit's job is to either offer insightful analysis based on past experience and/or expertise, or else hop balls to get people talking and generate revenue for the media organisation.

In the best cases, you get someone who can be both - Darragh Ó Sé in the Irish Times is, for my dollar, hands down the best at both. He's tremendously insightful and very honest about the reality, other than the ideal, of football. And because he's a Kerryman he cannot but hop a ball every now and again. It'd be like asking a dog not to bark. But generally, pundits go for one or the other - knowing your stuff or acting the bollocks.

In soccer terms, Johnny Giles does the former, Dunphy the latter. In rugby, Pope does the analysis and Hook talks the bollocks. O'Rourke does the analysis on football and then Spillane or Joe acts the eejit. They're both making good pocket money from it so they certainly aren't actual eejits.

On the matter of this particular article, I don't think there's a true comparison between Seánie Johnson and Conor Mortimer, other than a certain degree of selfishness. That's not a unique trait though - if you're a scoring forward there has to be a certain level of selfishness, or else you pass it off and don't take your scores.

Otherwise though, there isn't a comparison at all. Conor Mortimer walked off a panel, and Seanie Johnson walked onto on one. Conor didn't want to play, Seánie wanted to play so badly that he can never go home again without this being thrown at him. Those seem like two completely opposite trait to me.

I don't think Spillane is particularly intelligent. He comes across as quite limited in interviews beyond talking about football. Colm o Rourke has the smarts but Spillane doesn't.   
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trileacman

Joe Brolly is a f**king bollix.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

seafoid

Quote from: trileacman on July 18, 2012, 11:53:42 AM
Joe Brolly is a f**king bollix.
That is why he is on the telly. The Sunday Game is all about role playing.
There is the serious one, the gobshite and the other one.
Same as all those talent shows that are spin offs of the one started by simon Cowell. There is the cruel one, the nice one and the other one and the Ant and the Dec characters who are thin and funny.
TV is pure pantomime.   
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

LilySavage

Spillanes consistent interrupting of fellow pundits is very annoying and lives up to the old school portrayal of a 'GAH man' as a gombeen. Someone should have taught him basic etiquette as a kid.

babarino

Like all journalism it's subjective. The best sports writers and pundits, more often than not overcome their own background. With most their origins shine through and within GAA this obviously leads to rubbish comments about referee, 'opposing' player performances, calls for CCCC action/inaction and lazy analysis.

DuffleKing

We all like Brolly's prose because we all know and been frustrated by the type and would love to have the platform for those sentiments. He is articulating what we feel.

The ultimate irony of the article is that the sentiments could be applied specifically to the author. if he were playing today, jedward would have to be triplets.

Brolly epitomised as a player the very traits he espouses to detest.

shawshank

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 18, 2012, 12:54:32 PM

We all like Brolly's prose because we all know and been frustrated by the type and would love to have the platform for those sentiments. He is articulating what we feel.

The ultimate irony of the article is that the sentiments could be applied specifically to the author. if he were playing today, jedward would have to be triplets.

You have just wrote complete shite. The difference between Brolly and the players he was writing about is that Brolly delivered in the big championship games for Derry, while the players wrote about didn't. A seriously significant difference.

blewuporstuffed

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

sheamy

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 18, 2012, 12:54:32 PM

You're confusing flamboyance and 'prima dona' tendencies. Not the same thing. For all his faults I don't believe Joe was ever that. Character and loyalty are the traits he spoke of I believe.

DuffleKing

I'll beg to differ and I'm confusing nothing