Next Laois football manager

Started by SCFC, July 27, 2017, 08:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyroanAbu

Sugrue got it, I have no doubts about his credit ability as a coach. It's a hard one for me as I think Sugrue is quite a nice fella, and quite clever.  My problem is the continual overlooking of Laois Club Candidates, maybe I am wrong but we are continually over hyping any experience elsewhere.  It's no different from any other Laois appointment that is they overlook their own.  His selectors will be interesting, I don't see the clubs having any problem with him.  I just feel the whole selection process offers no path for a Laois Club Candidate.  While in the short term that's fine I don't think it will bring us any long term gains regardless of where he is based. 

It does seem odd how long since we have appointed a candidate born in Laois, maybe it's just the mentality of the place.

Keyser Söze

Happy with that decision.
Good coach by all accounts. Outside perspective. Local with a vested interest.
As good as was possible IMO.
Also no reason any of Sheehan/Clancy/Conway couldn't be involved.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

town1980

I would like to congratulate john, I do feel sorry doh for joe,mal and Clancy who have stook there kneck  out to progress club teams for no advantage to get the top job,best of luck john surgu

Junior Ex Laoistalk

EXCLUSIVE: New Laois senior football manager revealed

Ex-Kerry U-21 manager John Sugrue will be sent forward for ratification in the coming days.

http://www.laoistoday.ie/2017/08/28/exclusive-new-laois-senior-football-manager-revealed/

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Tony

Happy with that appointment, my number 1choice got it and the choice of the players. Perhaps others involved in the setup as selectors including billy sheehan or other former players. Well done to byron and all involved. John is a highly regarded coach, and as I said, was the best qualified for the role in my opinion. Hopefully he has the required energy and determination for the role as it's a big task to get us moving in the right direction again. Best of luck to him and all involved for 2018.

Unison

Good luck to John Sugrue. Its a tough job, but expectations are not high at the moment. My advice would be to concentrate on youth.

redsetanta

Considering the options and the task at hand Sugrue is as good a man as was out there. Yes, it would have been good to get a Laois man but at least Sugrue lives in the county and knows the scene. It will be a tough job because although expectations will not be high he will be expected to take Laois up from Div 4. Maybe, if the rumours are true about Sheehan taking notes at the games, he will be brought on board as well.
It's a far better appointment than the likes of Banty, Paul Curran, Ryan and Pillar as had been mentioned in posts here.
B
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Tony on August 28, 2017, 09:35:20 PM
Ballyroanabu, if he's not passionate about Laois football, then why does he attend nearly all Laois games, bringing his two young kids draped head to toe in Laois gear with him?

I for one do not understand some people's anger for him. Sure he was out of line sometimes on the pitch but he gave his absolute all for Laois every time he played with us and was very proud to play for us. I don't believe he was the most talented player at all but he made up for it with heart and determination. If he brings the same attitude of determination to the managerial role, we can do a lot lot worse, in my opinion.

I'm with you Tony. The only people I have ever heard that have a problem with him are a couple of faceless people on here who seem to have a personal vendetta against him. I always said that if half of the footballers in Laois showed nearly as much passion for Laois as Billy did, we would not be where we are now. I have always been a big fan.

Don Draper

I'm overjoyed its Sugrue. Glad he decided to take it, we should thank our lucky stars.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Delighted with that appointment.  Sugure should have got the job before Lillis,  he was by far the better candidate but thank god we have him now. For once in this county can we now get behind this management team and support whoever gets on the panel. This county needs support more than ever before and this is when real supporters step up.
It's very easy to support a winning team but also very easy to turn your back on a losing side. It's not going to be easy to get out of Division 4 so let's all learn to be patient and get behind both management team and the footballers and do our bit to achieve that goal

BallyroanAbu

If you would care to elaborate on a personal vendetta, I don't know Billy Sheehan have never any substantial dealings with him.  I would also say in relation to Sugrue he seems the favoured candidate, I would set the targets a little lower.  There is no doubt he has the potential to be successful,  he will need serious financial backing over the next couple of years.  The County Board have appointed him it is now time to get the chequebook out.   

To the fella that said no one gets universal backing it seems Sugrue got it.

Tony

Sugrue appointment was a no brainer. Thankfully he's interested in the job. I know a couple of years back he wasn't interested. He must be in a far better position now to take over.

Ballyroanabu, if a better Laois born candidate existed he'd be named manager, I've no doubt about it. Sugrue is Laois based, has a quality CV, and is well respected by players and spectators alike. We still have a huge uphill battle though.

Would love to see cahir healy, Paul cahilane and Boyle back from their exile for 2018. Hopefully the younger lads like luttrell & moore will really come along in standard this year. Would also like to see ross involved in any capacity. We can't afford any major dropouts but at the same time it's best to have 100% commitment from all players. If anyone doesn't want to play for Laois it's best they don't show up. Looking forward to seeing Sugrue's background team. Also expecting us to be far fitter for 2018 compared to the last few years.

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Tony on August 29, 2017, 12:54:07 PM
Sugrue appointment was a no brainer. Thankfully he's interested in the job. I know a couple of years back he wasn't interested. He must be in a far better position now to take over.

Ballyroanabu, if a better Laois born candidate existed he'd be named manager, I've no doubt about it. Sugrue is Laois based, has a quality CV, and is well respected by players and spectators alike. We still have a huge uphill battle though.

Would love to see cahir healy, Paul cahilane and Boyle back from their exile for 2018. Hopefully the younger lads like luttrell & moore will really come along in standard this year. Would also like to see ross involved in any capacity. We can't afford any major dropouts but at the same time it's best to have 100% commitment from all players. If anyone doesn't want to play for Laois it's best they don't show up. Looking forward to seeing Sugrue's background team. Also expecting us to be far fitter for 2018 compared to the last few years.

I don't have any arguments with that.

Joeythelips

Im glad we have an appointment in place so they (and hopefully his backroom team) can get a good look now at the latter stages of the club championship. He needs to be given few years to really build a team, new players need to be blooded but there are some decent young players out there who could be moulded into decent inter county players with a good coach and lots of hard work.

I have no real opinon of the man himself, he does not seem to have outstanding credentials but seems to be well thought off by current and former players (although Creedon got similar praise). Fair enough he seems to be the best candidate, but the county board need to try and put some measures in place that the next manager is a Laois man as at this stage no one will bother to coach teams. There should be some pathway to County managers position if they are good enough.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

The Laois Official GAA website is as bad as it ever was, still not a word on there about our potential new manager.
Thank God for this forum or we would be totally in the dark about what's going on ...