Kildare manager 2016

Started by Donnellys Hollow, September 03, 2013, 10:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squire_in_navy_slacks

Will Ryan take on McGeeney as his number 2

Rossfan

Quote from: Hound on October 08, 2013, 08:59:53 AM
McStay will be disappointed after admitting last week on telly that he was a contender.
He's got a much better job - he's chairing on of Ros Co Board's "Strategic Review " Committees.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

lynchbhoy

imo that is a fantastic appointment for kildare.

they have the players imo.
lets se what Ryan can do now. can he challenge Dublin.

imo yes. Certainly in 2014 Dublin will find it harder after their exertions this season.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 08, 2013, 11:45:51 AM

imo yes. Certainly in 2014 Dublin will find it harder after their exertions this season.

You've always been a fan of his Lynchbhoy, one thing he'll get from the Kildare footballers that he couldn't from the Wexford players is 100% commitment. The Wexford players had a poor gym culture and with 2 centres were poorly monitored and it was too relaxed. (That's direct from one of their S&Cs).

Ryan for personal reasons didn't coach as much as he would have liked last year which is one of the reasons Kildare looked very disjointed at times.

Will reserve judgment, that will give him 3 years by Kildare standards but for continuity reasons it's a good appointment. His backroom team will be interesting and could be the key to been successful or not.

In fairness to McGeeney I always thought he brought Jason Ryan in for succession planning reasons as much as anything else and deserves credit for that foresight. 
#newbridgeornowhere

deiseach

Dinny Breen

Quote from: deiseach on October 08, 2013, 02:01:15 PM
You're welcome :-\

Sure we gave you Niall Carew and Ronan Sweeney, fair exchange no?
#newbridgeornowhere

deiseach

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 08, 2013, 02:56:38 PM

Fair exchange like Cork got Larry Tompkins and Shay Fahy and you got Brian Murphy.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: deiseach on October 08, 2013, 03:00:56 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 08, 2013, 02:56:38 PM

Fair exchange like Cork got Larry Tompkins and Shay Fahy and you got Brian Murphy.

Brian Murphy delivered us a minor Leinster title this year and helped develop some of our young talent over the last 5 years so we did alright out of that.
#newbridgeornowhere

deiseach

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 08, 2013, 03:13:01 PM
Brian Murphy delivered us a minor Leinster title this year and helped develop some of our young talent over the last 5 years so we did alright out of that.

You keep telling yourself that if it eases the pain. Mick Roche . . . he was crap anyway. When can we expect to see the bould Jason as your avatar?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: deiseach on October 08, 2013, 03:21:46 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 08, 2013, 03:13:01 PM

You keep telling yourself that if it eases the pain. Mick Roche . . . he was crap anyway. When can we expect to see the bould Jason as your avatar?

I'm from Kildare we find comfort in the smallest things as we don't in our football.

Mick Roche wonder if he played these days would have got much abuse for transferring counties?

I like my Avatar though, maybe if I can find one of Jason Ryan going head to head with Jim Gavin I might change...
#newbridgeornowhere

deiseach

The story with Mick Roche (as I understand it) is that we let him slip through the net. The mandarins of Mount Sion could not believe that a lad from Carrickbeg could play hurling so Tipp were not stopped from poaching him. I'd like to think we wouldn't make that mistake this time around. There were eleven different clubs represented on this All-Ireland winning Minor team.

I really wish Jason well. He seems like a stand-up bloke and maybe someday he'll have his desire for success sated to the point where he'd have a go at pulling us up by the boot straps.

Dinny Breen

I lived in Dominick Place as a student and use to train in Mount Sion - not the friendliest bunch back then so not surprised to heat that...
#newbridgeornowhere

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 08, 2013, 01:58:31 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 08, 2013, 11:45:51 AM

You've always been a fan of his Lynchbhoy, one thing he'll get from the Kildare footballers that he couldn't from the Wexford players is 100% commitment. The Wexford players had a poor gym culture and with 2 centres were poorly monitored and it was too relaxed. (That's direct from one of their S&Cs).

Ryan for personal reasons didn't coach as much as he would have liked last year which is one of the reasons Kildare looked very disjointed at times.

Will reserve judgment, that will give him 3 years by Kildare standards but for continuity reasons it's a good appointment. His backroom team will be interesting and could be the key to been successful or not.

In fairness to McGeeney I always thought he brought Jason Ryan in for succession planning reasons as much as anything else and deserves credit for that foresight.
Yes I have been a fan of his ever since he took an underacheving wexford side and made them compete (and should have beaten Dublin and won the Leinster title twice).
In kildare Jason inherits more big men, a lot of raw talent too , but prob more finished articles than what he had in Wexford (Forde).

I also thought Ryan was part of a succession plan.
He is also a man who has managed at intercounty level before and can hit the ground running.
For all the great effort McGeeney made, he is still learning and you need a few diff managerial jobs to reach optimum level.

Thats another reason why I preferred if Glen didnt take it yet.
However I see him with even some additional club coaching in the next year or two as being the preferred kldare manager next time out.

Kildare have a young squad, a good squad and one that imo can compete with Dublin.

2014 will be very interesting.

From the Bunker

I think ye were lucky not to get McStay. Don't think he is up to intercounty. Did great things with St. Bridgets last year, but I've seen him at under 21 with our own county and he did not have the side line vision. I know that was 10 plus years ago, but you either have these things or you don't. They can't really be learned, it's almost intuition.

rodney trotter

Wexford had probably better flair in attack then what Kildare have now. Ciaran Lyng, Red Barry, Brosnan, PJ Banville. But I'd say he will do a solid job with Kildare.