Denigrating GAA players etc.

Started by Sandino, February 24, 2009, 05:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandino

I have been a reader of this board for a great number of years. I have seen many members come and go. Some great posters have been lost. It has struck me recently that when someone does something wrong during a game the abuse hurled at these people is enormous. In the heat of battle I can understand this; however this abuse on the board has become a disgrace. Most people do not know the people being abused. Can we really comment on someone we have never met someone whom we only know through what we have seen on our TV screens?  I know some of the people who have be named on this board over the last 12 months, many did wrong on the field of play but they are people who I know to be decent people who do a lot for their communities. Are the amateur people who bring us joy and pleasure through our games fair game on a discussion board if they do wrong in the field of play? I am not on about constructive discussion. I mean anonymous abuse.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

bingobus

Well then f**k off you ****   ;) (  obvious reply but someone was going to do it)

No harm intended, of course.

Zulu

Clearly abusing anyone as an anonymous poster on a discussion board is not on but I think it is fair and reasonable to criticize someone's behaviour on a GAA field if that's warranted. The people who post here are generally passionate about the GAA and sometimes opinions can veer towards unacceptable vitriol but I don't think we want a sanitized board either. Players are in the public eye and if they do something on the field of play that provokes debate then the line will probably be crossed by some posters but I think we police that well enough here and most posters will point out if someone has gone overboard. You're right though and anyone who posts here has a responsibility to try and keep their posts on the right side of decency, I know I've done some things on the pitch which I wouldn't like to admit to, so I try not to cast too many stones.

Tyrone Dreamer

Agree totally with the above post. Was sickened by the personal attacks on Ryan McMenamin this past few weeks which were way over the top in my opinion. Some of the comments about O'Mahony last year also crossed a line from what I remember.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on February 24, 2009, 06:49:21 PM
Agree totally with the above post. Was sickened by the personal attacks on Ryan McMenamin this past few weeks which were way over the top in my opinion. Some of the comments about O'Mahony last year also crossed a line from what I remember.
To be fair, apart from doire na raithe's comment, everything else I have read has been grand.  Would the comments be any different if you were chatting to people all over the country in a pub ?
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Tyrone Dreamer

Im not sure what comments you were reading but in my opinion no player on here should be called a tr**p,cu-t,gypsy etc. Those terms were used by numerous posters.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on February 24, 2009, 07:41:16 PM
Im not sure what comments you were reading but in my opinion no player on here should be called a tr**p,c*-t,gypsy etc. Those terms were used by numerous posters.
LIke I said elsewhere, if you act the maggot you can't complain when folk call you a maggot. 
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Pangurban

Agree totally, critisism is one thing but personal abuse should not be acceptable

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on February 24, 2009, 07:56:49 PM
Im not sure what comments you were reading but in my opinion no player on here should be called a tr**p,c*-t,gypsy etc. Those terms were used by numerous posters.
LIke I said elsewhere, if you act the maggot you can't complain when folk call you a maggot. 

So your happy for those terms to be used here to describe a gaa player?

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on February 24, 2009, 08:35:03 PM

Happy isn't the word I would use.  Armagh men have been called the same and worse and I accepted it.

pintsofguinness

If he's acting like one...
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Lecale2

Just because something happens on a football field doesn't mean that we should suspend all normal judgement or the law.

It's now legal for one man to grab another man's private parts but you have to have his consent before you do it and it must be in private. That's the law and it applies on football fields as well as in public houses and on the streets.

Trevor Hill

I am in no way condoning McMenamins actions but I think a lot of people have made a meal out of the whole incident. It could hardly be considered as an assault as there was minimal if any contact.
There is an element of Down support who seem to attend games to hurl abuse at Jack Lynch and at times a few others. I wish these people would either shut up or stay at home. Most of them didn't even do P.E. at school never mind play inter-county football, but they feel they are entitle to abuse players who they feel aren't up to scratch.

Winnie Peg

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on February 24, 2009, 07:02:21 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on February 24, 2009, 06:49:21 PM
To be fair, apart from doire na raithe's comment, everything else I have read has been grand.  Would the comments be any different if you were chatting to people all over the country in a pub ?

And he is a student at  Queen's University!

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 24, 2009, 08:47:26 PM

If he's acting like one...

You didnt just say he acted like one, from what I remember you said something along the lines of he is c--t or a tr**p. Thats making a judgement on a person based on something on the pitch. The terms used were unacceptable and over the top imo. Also as I pointed you's were on about the example he was setting for younger people but felt it was ok to use terms like the one's mentioned.