Retirements

Started by Maroon Manc, July 09, 2018, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Quote from: whitey on August 30, 2019, 01:21:28 AM
Quote from: stephenite on August 30, 2019, 12:57:00 AM
I might be wrong, however I took from the tone of the question from Brannigan was that he's trying trying to elicit whether or not Mayo people valued an enigmatic genius over a more functional player (of undoubted quality) with an amazing work ethic and spectacular attitude.

Mac was a spectacularly gifted player, however he spent time unavailable to Mayo for various reasons. Andy Moran would have been sub-keeper if that was what was asked of him.

Did you ever see Padraig Brogan play in his prime?

Yes

TheGreatest

I went to the off the ball event in St Vincents the other night, i have to say that Andy Moran is a sound man. Well able to talk, some good stories and came accross very well. Honest and genuine and held no grudges or regrets about his playing career. Id say hes good buachaill to go for a few pints with.

Rossfan

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 30, 2019, 09:09:22 AM
i have to say that Andy Moran is a sound man. Well able to talk, some good stories and came accross very well. Honest and genuine ..... Id say hes good buachaill to go for a few pints with.
Just a normal Roscommon man. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rudi

Andy came across as a choir boy, the sort of lad you would love to see your daughter dating. For me he was a fantastic ambassador for Mayo and gaa in general. He left everything on the pitch, did not fall out with too many people, how anyone would take McDonald (talented, but he knew it) over the dependable Andy is beyond me. He had huge ability to ghost away from defenders, fine player enjoy retirement.

whitey

Quote from: stephenite on August 30, 2019, 02:05:12 AM
Quote from: whitey on August 30, 2019, 01:21:28 AM
Quote from: stephenite on August 30, 2019, 12:57:00 AM
I might be wrong, however I took from the tone of the question from Brannigan was that he's trying trying to elicit whether or not Mayo people valued an enigmatic genius over a more functional player (of undoubted quality) with an amazing work ethic and spectacular attitude.

Mac was a spectacularly gifted player, however he spent time unavailable to Mayo for various reasons. Andy Moran would have been sub-keeper if that was what was asked of him.

Did you ever see Padraig Brogan play in his prime?

Yes

How would you rate him compared to Andy or CiarĂ¡n Mac?

Unfortunately his "prime" at county level lasted a very short period of time

Crete Boom

Quote from: Rossfan on August 30, 2019, 09:50:02 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on August 30, 2019, 09:09:22 AM
i have to say that Andy Moran is a sound man. Well able to talk, some good stories and came accross very well. Honest and genuine ..... Id say hes good buachaill to go for a few pints with.
Just a normal Roscommon man. ;)

https://youtu.be/bVJIg1wEGd8
Fast forward to 29 mins in the video and Andy confirms he knows what county he is from ;)

"You are on about that game in 2006. Never mind the game itself, the game was brilliant but the atmosphere around it like!! We drove into my town , my town would be the first town going into Mayo!! Okay well we say Mayo so my town is the first town in Mayo!!"

JimStynes

Are people really picking Moran over Ciaran McDonald. Jesus Christ, short memories.

rodney trotter

Different type of players.. Not much point comparing them. McDonald was a creative centre forward.. Moran was a ball winner in the full forward line and finisher.

Gold

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 27, 2019, 02:45:39 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on August 27, 2019, 01:51:20 PM
Good player, a servent of 17 years to the cause is to my admired. I am being genuine here, in his prime, would he make the Dublin team in the 6 forwards? Or Kerry or Tyrone forward 6 of the noughties?

Seeing that his prime was probably two years ago when named footballer of the year and scored 3-24 from play that summer the short answer would be yes.

In his supposed prime 2 years ago the idiot manager brought him off in the last 10 with the game in the balance v Dublin
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Wildweasel74

People forget McDonalds free taking bck in 97 in the final I doubt

maigheo

Quote from: Gold on August 31, 2019, 12:56:48 AM
Good player, a servent of 17 years to the cause is to my admired. I am being genuine here, in his prime, would he make the Dublin team in the 6 forwards? Or Kerry or Tyrone forward 6 of the noughties?

Seeing that his prime was probably two years ago when named footballer of the year and scored 3-24 from play that summer the short answer would be yes.

In his supposed prime 2 years ago the idiot manager brought him off in the last 10 with the game in the balance v Dublin
. The reason Moran went off was because he was injured and if there was a replay would have missed it, but never let the facts get in the way of a good story

MayoBuck

Quote from: Gold on August 31, 2019, 12:56:48 AM

He had torn his hamstring at that stage. Didn't play any club football in the 2 months afterwards.

Never beat the deeler

Ger Caff just called it a day.

He had  a tough job In a mayo team that played a high line meaning forwards often received the ball in an ocean of space but his timing in the tackle was gifted.

Hasta la victoria siempre

macdanger2

Best of luck with your retirement Ger. One of the few modern full backs who got zero cover because of the way Mayo played and yet made a decent fist of it.

Cunny Funt

Played his best football for Mayo the first time Horan was manager, one of those players that didn't seem to ever full recovery from they injuries he got. Didn't he play corner back instead of full back the year he won his All-Star?