Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Have a Forerunner 920

Milltown Row2

Quote from: heffo on January 14, 2017, 07:56:05 AM
Have a Forerunner 920

The 110 has the heart monitor also £100 new
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ty4Sam

Don't waste money on anything but a garmin. Depending on what you want, they have everything covered, obviously the more expensive the more extras you get. Even the most basic garmin has everything 99% of runners need. Buy the watch, set up your Garmin Connect account and get uploading your runs onto that. Opens a whole new world to running.

laoislad

I think I mentioned it here a bit back but I bought some weights recently and have been using them regular enough.
I've noticed a nice change in my the shape of arms chest etc but I also think they have improved my running no end, doing the barbell squats etc I feel have really helped.
I've been making great strides in my 5k time since the Marathon and I'm wondering is it because of the long runs put in from Marathon training and/or taking up weights.

My 5k PB currently is 21:03 which is down from about 23:30.
I do seem to have hit a wall at that pb though and have even gone backwards a little since I set that time.

Just wondering what I can do to get that lower or more specifically a sub 20? I would really love to get to that sub 20 this year. I'm not doing a Marathon this year so have the whole year to get a sub 20 if it was possible.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

What kind of speedwork do you do?

laoislad

Some but probably not enough. I do the weights 3 nights a week and straight afterwards I jump on the treadmill and do a HIIT session of 8% Incline @16kph 20secs on 40secs off x 15 times. Don't know if that counts as speed work?
Now and again I'll do 10-12 x 400 on the treadmill.
When I run outside I'll usually just do a longish run of 10-16k and take it easy enough. Have been doing that for about 3 months now.

mrdeeds

The only way to improve speed is tempo runs and speed work with 400s 800s 1600s with rest in between or some 400,800 jogs to break it up. Doing speed work on a track or forest running will help. Castlepollard 5k in August is probably the flattest 5k in Ireland. Can see finish line from over a km away which is some carrot.

Milltown Row2

Weights build muscle and that makes you heavier which might make you slower
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Yeah tempo work is your best bet. Intervals will be good shorter term but tempos best.

Tempo is about twenty minutes at seventy percent effort. The point of it is that it is a controlled hard effort.

Getting better at running is basically done by making your body more efficient. Strength work will help with that. (To apoint with weight gain etc)

In intervals your first rep should be the same speed as your last- good rule of thumb.

imtommygunn

Tempo can be descibed as comfortably hard so you should be out of breath a bit but able to speak. At a guess 20-30 seconds a mile slower than 5k pace. Tempo runs are the best running training you can get in my view. You should give them a go.

Go too fast and they are much less benefit. So go a bit too slow first couple until you find your pace.

laoislad

Thanks tommy I'll give it a go.

magpie seanie

Quote from: laoislad on January 23, 2017, 08:59:42 AM
Thanks tommy I'll give it a go.

When I got down to my 5k PB I found tempo runs brilliant. I'd have about a hald an hour free at lunchtime and once a week I'd do one like this - 1km slow, 3kms at 5k pace and then 1km slow to warm down. From reading here I probably did them a bit too fast but they definitely improved my speed no end.

I'm a far cry from that now. Back on the horse (yet again) last week. I'm going to mix things up a bit with spinning/circuits/abs work added in this year. Last year was a disaster so need to sort my sh1t out this year.

Ty4Sam

Use this website for judging paces, I've entered your 5K pb and these are the related paces to that. As you get more experienced you'll be able to judge paces etc, yourself. Do you have a garmin watch or something similar? Click on"Training paces" on the link below.

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/results?hours=&minutes=21&seconds=03&distance=5000m&goalDistance=10km&ghours=&gminutes=&gseconds=

To be honest laoislad, going by your training you'll smash sub 20 with a few months structured training. Most people who run fast times structure their training something like this. Monday-Rest    Tuesday-Speed session    Wed-Easy Recovery Run (approx.35-45mins)    Thursday-Tempo    Friday-Easy Recovery or Rest    Saturday- Long Run (build up to 90 mins)    Sunday-Easy Recovery Run.

Weights can be helpful, especially leg work, but if you want to improve at running you have to run, more and smarter. I've no doubt your recent improvements are due to your long runs. I was in the same position to you about 5/6 years ago after Belfast marathon and the best bit of advice I got was to join a club, get in the middle of like minded people and learn from them. Best decision you'll make bar none!!!

laoislad

Thanks lads.
Yeah I know joining a club is probably the best thing I could do,but to be totally honest it doesn't appeal to me for a number of reasons.
Main reason is time or lack of it between work and kids etc.It could be 10pm or later before I do a bit of training. I bought a treadmill for this very reason,not ideal I know and not everyone's cup of tae but I actually enjoy it.

Also I actually enjoy being on my own when I do go outside to run,which is strange as I played soccer for 20 years and loved being part of a team, but I really like the alone time when I'm running. I agree though you are correct and it's been said to me before that joining a club is a great way to get faster.I just don't think it's for me.

take_yer_points

I'm planning on doing a marathon this summer, most likely Belfast. This'll be my third and I want to knock a bit off my PB (3:46 in Dublin a couple of years ago). I've never really got into hill running but took off the other day and ran up Cavehill in Belfast - Wikipedia says it's 370 metres up.

Is that type of hill running going to be beneficial for a marathon, or should I be looking more at hill repeats to build a bit of stamina and speed? Really enjoyed the cavehill run so I'd like to keep at that once a fortnight or so