Unionist Heavyweights

Started by Banana Man, November 04, 2010, 12:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banana Man

looks like 2 Unionist 'Heavyweights' need to lie back from the table...

3 November 2010 Last updated at 11:54 Share this pageFacebookTwitter ShareEmail Print Lord's Afghan trip off for want of a large flak jacket
Furious: The Army couldn't find a big enough flak jacket for Lord Maginnis Two of Northern Ireland's politicians are spitting nails after a trip to visit troops in Afghanistan was called off because they were too portly for Army flak jackets.

Lord Ken Maginnis and David Simpson, DUP, had been due to fly out this week to meet soldiers from the Royal Irish and the Irish Guards but the Army couldn't find flak jackets large enough to fit them.

"To be told at the last minute that the British Army has not got two flak jackets with a 54" chest was just a bit thick," said Lord Maginnis who weighs in at about 18 stone.

Continue reading the main story
"
Start Quote
To be told at the last minute that the British Army has not got two flak jackets with a 54" chest was just a bit thick"
End Quote
Lord Maginnis
"I wanted to go out and meet the troops and made considerable efforts to clear my diary.

"So this made me very cross. I am no giant, neither is Davy Simpson. We are both reasonably normal, although we are bigger than most."

Lord Maginnis said the cancelled trip made him "absolutely furious".

"The reality is that we have young men and women out there fighting for us. They are putting their lives on the line. They deserve a little bit of consideration," he said.

Lord Maginnis said he had made the trip two years ago - and he has got lighter since then.

However, in a statement, the Ministry of Defence said: "Nobody is allowed to board an aircraft to Afghanistan without correctly fitting body armour.

"The MoD provides a wide range of sizes but regrettably none was suitable on this occasion.

"We recognise the importance of politicians visiting Afghanistan but this trip has been postponed while we try to source sufficiently sized body armour."

Jim_Murphy_74

Emblematic of the constant anti-unionist discrimination driven by a Sinn Fein-IRA agenda.

They would have no problem cladding some weedy, ill-fed Taig who consumes nothing but blight-ridden spuds.

Shame!

illdecide

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

haranguerer

Quote from: Banana Man on November 04, 2010, 12:04:00 PM
"The reality is that we have young men and women out there fighting for us. They are putting their lives on the line. They deserve a little bit of consideration," he said.

I think this is probably exactly what happened. Who tf would want to meet and greet that pair?!

muppet

If they had agreed to a United Ireland FÁS would have flown them first class.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

The British Army hasn't had the right equipment for its squaddies for a number of years. Lots of British soldiers made the ultimate pointless sacrifice in unprotected vehicles that were no match for Iraqi IEDs.