Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: Tyrone95 on February 08, 2018, 06:35:35 AM
Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on February 07, 2018, 01:21:04 PM
Cavanagh is a legend of the game, I understand if people choose to criticise him from outside the county, but from within baffles me, a County he served so well (dragged them to the 08 all Ireland).  He's in the top 2 players ever to play for the County in my opinion (with Canavan).  He is kicked more than most because of his ability.  If you every go watch Carrickmore, Conor Gormley referees every game.  He is saluted as a great of the game and rightly so.  He maybe doesn't get kicked as much as Sean but he refs the game better than Sean.

Point is Sean Cavanagh is an unbelievable talent and a winner, if he can gain a competitive advantage he will try to take it.  Congratulations to Sean on Another All Ireland, Congratulations to Moy and I hope Colm Cavanagh returns to Tyrone this weekend to get a badly needed win
I would be deluded if I tried to dis-agree with this, its a case of love having that type of player on your team and hate playing against them.  It would be interesting to have a count of how many games Gormley has pulled us through over the years when our backs where against the wall.. don't forget Canavan also had that special power to influence a referees decision yet he is considered the greatest of all time' - I wouldnt be so critical of Sean Cavanagh

100% Right Tyrone95, happy you agreed with the point I was making.  I wasn't trying to single out Conor either it was just an example most Tyrone club followers could relate to.  Conor (the block) is a true great and he knows how to manage a game which is very useful.

Yes league starts 31st March (think that's providing Tyrone aren't in a league final, which is highly unlikely at this stage)
Living the dream!!!

driveherin

Re: Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

« Reply #36851 on: January 22, 2018, 08:26:23 AM »

Modify

Remove

Aghaloo O'Neill's -
Aghyaran Saint Davog's -  M Greene
Ardboe O'Donovan Rossa - Gavin Wylie, Horse, McKeown
Augher St Macartan's - Eamonn Kavanagh
Beragh Red Knights -
Brackaville Owen Roes -  Paul Rouse
Brocagh Emmetts - Peter Bayne, Audi Hamilton
Carrickmore St Colmcille's - Ray Munroe, Ronan McGarrity, Peter Loughran
Castlederg St Eugene's McCarron Stewart
Clann na Gael - Stephen O'Neill, Noel Slane
Clogher Eire óg
Clonoe O'Rahilly's - Mick O'Dowd
Coalisland Fianna - McKeever, Gilligan,
Cookstown Fr.Rocks - Plunkett McCallen
Derrylaughan Kevin Barry's - Martin Kinless & Carl Conlon
Derrytresk Fir a'Chnoic - Barry Taggart, Emmet Teague
Donaghmore St Patrick's - Gary and Richard Hetherington, Kevin Brady
Dregish Pearse óg Adrian O'kane
Dromore St Dympna's - Ciaran Meenagh Gerry Donnelly
Drumquin Wolfe Tone's - Is Noel Donnelly staying?
Drumragh Sarsfield's - Gavin McElroy & Peter Doherty
Dungannon Thomas Clarkes - Terry Loughran, Chris Rafferty
Edendork St Malachy's - Damian Barton, John McGuckin
Eglish St Patrick's - Paul Coney (Ardboe)
Errigal Ciaran - Pascal C,Tiffy Quinn, F Devlin, Joe C
Eskra Emmett's -  Stephen Beattie
Fintona Na Piarsaigh Pat McNabb
Galbally Pearse's - Fergal McCusker & Declan Treanor
Glenelly St Joseph's Sean McConnell
Gortin St Patrick's - Roger Keenan and Cathal McAnenly
Greencastle St Patrick's - Eugene McKenna & Niall Colton
Kildress Wolfe Tone's - Sean Beggs, Aidy O'Gara & Damian Kelly
Killeeshil St. Mary's Damien Hoy
Killyclogher St Mary's - Dom Corrigan, Fergal McCann
Killyman St Mary's -  Ciaran Corr
Loughmacrory St Teresa's - Gary Conway & Ronan or Enda Ward
Moortown St Malachy's -  Michael Conlan (ballinderry) PJ Quinn, Shorty McNally
Moy Tír na nóg - Audi Kelly, Gavin McGilly
Newtownstewart St Eugene's Marty McNulty
Omagh St Enda's -  Paddy Crozier, Carl McCabe,  Paul Tierney
Owen Roe O'Neill's - Barry Tracey
Pomeroy Plunketts - Brian McGuckin
Rock St Patrick's - Ciaran Gourley, Conor McKeown
Stewartstown Harps - Gary Coleman
Strabane Sigerson's - Charlie O'Kane, Jody Wilson
Tattyreagh St Patrick's - Stephen Ferguson, Stephen McHugh
Trillick St Macartan's -  Nigel Seany
Urney St Colmcille's - Palor McNulty

Therealdonald

Phew, there's two weeks gone and no blockbuster transfer news down in the East. Can we assume that Ardboe, Moortown, Coalisland, Brackaville, Clonoe and Derrytresk etc are finished swapping players??? Also I can't remember who it was mentioned Ardboe and their low numbers or men leaving but I've ehard that their training numbers are in fact about the same as all others.

Club boi

Quote from: Therealdonald on February 08, 2018, 09:24:23 PM
Phew, there's two weeks gone and no blockbuster transfer news down in the East. Can we assume that Ardboe, Moortown, Coalisland, Brackaville, Clonoe and Derrytresk etc are finished swapping players??? Also I can't remember who it was mentioned Ardboe and their low numbers or men leaving but I've ehard that their training numbers are in fact about the same as all others.

Who are these Swap deals exactly??

I heard Bob Mc Nally left Brackaville to Coalisland and Caolan Corr left Derrytresk to Clonoe

Any More??

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: Club boi on February 09, 2018, 04:17:48 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on February 08, 2018, 09:24:23 PM

Who are these Swap deals exactly??

I heard Bob Mc Nally left Brackaville to Coalisland and Caolan Corr left Derrytresk to Clonoe

Any More??

Big clubs feeding of the smaller clubs in the area, draining out the talent.  Has there been a fall out with these lads or what is the reason they are moving to a neighbouring club.  I was going to use the word rivals but they aren't and wont be if these kinds of transfers are allowed to proceed.
Living the dream!!!

GetOverTheBar

Frustration would probably be a key in both the above transfers.

Whilst it's not exactly in the GAA ethos, I don't really blame anyone for wanting to go to test themselves at the highest club level they can.

square_ball

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 12, 2018, 11:39:34 AM

Whilst it's not exactly in the GAA ethos, I don't really blame anyone for wanting to go to test themselves at the highest club level they can.

I can't agree with the last statement. If that's the case then the small club won't survive for much longer if there's a drain in talent and it's accepted that you can just leave to play at a higher level. I don't know much about the 2 transfers discussed though. 

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: square_ball on February 12, 2018, 12:26:16 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 12, 2018, 11:39:34 AM

I can't agree with the last statement. If that's the case then the small club won't survive for much longer if there's a drain in talent and it's accepted that you can just leave to play at a higher level. I don't know much about the 2 transfers discussed though.

I can't say I agree with it myself to be honest but the small clubs are bleeding slowly to death, unfortunately. What can be done though? The GAA is really sleep walking towards a crisis. Do we hold individuals responsible for moving on? I can't do that to be honest.

Boghopper

The sad thing is Clonoe and Coalisland have massive numbers and settled teams. Both players are fine footballers but will not be guaranteed starting berths. It completely is out of touch with the ethos of the association to join a bigger club purely to test yourself at a higher level. If a man leaves his club to join a smaller club to simply play football or is forced to join because of work e.g. Dublin or London then you cannot question such a move. If a lad goes to the USA to play at a higher level temporarily I cannot see how he can be faulted if he is unhappy with his own club. In a lot of these situations ultimately players go back to their original club/county like Seanie Johnston though unfortunately the reputational damage is done. Good luck to both lads any way hope they get what they want from their moves, pity we don't have a divisional team system like Kerry so lads playing Junior/intermediate can play in the senior championship then they would be able to test the rest themselves at senior level and still play with their own clubs.

bigtogs

Caolans father Tommy played for the Rahillys for many years i suppose that is his draw to transfer...... in the 15 last years Derrytresk have benefited from loads of players transferring from many teams only for they would not excist simple as....i can name 20tranfers to Derrytresk of the top of my head.....

Boghopper

Derrytresk have benefitted alright from a few transfers although most of the current team have played underage for the club. In the past the club were very reliant on transfers to just survive much like Dregish are striving to do now. Unfortunately for Dregish they don't have any underage teams or amalgamation with another club. Derrytresk don't currently rely on transfers they might not be as strong with the players who have joined them though they would still exist. To say they solely exist on transfers currently is not true. Caolans dad is a championship winner with  Clonoe and maybe he wants to emulate that feat though he will not be part of the clique at Clonoe nor would Bob at Coalisland. Bob has no connection with Coalisland as far as I know? Brackaville have lost a lot of players in the last two years they will be a very young team this year?

bigtogs

Quote from: Boghopper on February 12, 2018, 03:32:01 PM
Derrytresk have benefitted alright from a few transfers although most of the current team have played underage for the club. In the past the club were very reliant on transfers to just survive much like Dregish are striving to do now. Unfortunately for Dregish they don't have any underage teams or amalgamation with another club. Derrytresk don't currently rely on transfers they might not be as strong with the players who have joined them though they would still exist. To say they solely exist on transfers currently is not true. Caolans dad is a championship winner with  Clonoe and maybe he wants to emulate that feat though he will not be part of the clique at Clonoe nor would Bob at Coalisland. Bob has no connection with Coalisland as far as I know? Brackaville have lost a lot of players in the last two years they will be a very young team this year?

Sean McNally's grandfather won a senior championship medal with Coalisland in the 50's........

bigtogs

Quote from: bigtogs on February 12, 2018, 03:48:46 PM

Sean McNally's grandfather won a senior championship medal with Coalisland in the 50's........

p.s i would love too see one team from Clonoe Parish playing senior championship like they do in Kerry......

LeoMc

There are 2 distinct but very much related sets of transfer activity being hinted at here.

1. Players moving (whatever their connection)from a small club  to a bigger club to try to achieve something / develop themselves.
2. Players moving in the opposite direction to try to get more regular football

The Championship amalgamations / regional teams is one solution to the former but does little to address the latter. Could that potentially be addressed by the provision of recreational level football, a Junior B if you will?

IF there was an outlet within the bigger clubs for football without the senior level commitment would there be the interest there or would it end up impacting the smaller clubs even more?

Therealdonald

Quote from: bigtogs on February 12, 2018, 03:55:12 PM
Quote from: bigtogs on February 12, 2018, 03:48:46 PM

p.s i would love too see one team from Clonoe Parish playing senior championship like they do in Kerry......

I'd much prefer to see a team incorporating Ballygawley, Glencull, Seskinore, Eskra and Beragh. Perhaps they could even play under the banner of Errigal Ciaran....oh wait a minute that sounds familiar.