Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

Seamus Mallon former MP for Newry and Armagh
Careful now

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on January 24, 2020, 05:16:43 PM

Ever lastly legacy of a peacemaker. RIP Seamus.

dec

I recently read his book, A Shared Home Place and found myself agreeing with virtually all of it.

"Sunningdale for slow learners" indeed.

Sportacus

He was a tough front man for nationalism at the most difficult of times.  He often seemed grumpy and frustrated, but he was a man you could trust when they went into talks behind closed doors.  And of course he was part of the Good Friday Agreement jigsaw for which we should all be grateful.  RIP.

BennyCake

Huge figure who did great work. RIP.

Did I read somewhere that he played minor football for Armagh?

armaghniac

Quote from: BennyCake on January 24, 2020, 07:28:47 PM
Huge figure who did great work. RIP.

Did I read somewhere that he played minor football for Armagh?

In 1957
https://www.gaa.ie/the-gaa/oral-history/video/seamus-mallon/
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

smelmoth

Quote from: Sportacus on January 24, 2020, 07:08:41 PM
He was a tough front man for nationalism at the most difficult of times.  He often seemed grumpy and frustrated, but he was a man you could trust when they went into talks behind closed doors.  And of course he was part of the Good Friday Agreement jigsaw for which we should all be grateful.  RIP.

He was every last bit of that. And he was so, so much more. Lets be clear we are mourning the loss of the individual who more than anyone during the horror of the troubles called it for what it was. Nobody was immune from his excoriating tongue. It called misrule for what it was. He called security force brutality for what it was. The futility of armed thuggery was called out for what it was. He faced down the men with the gun with courage not hiding behind a mask and armed with a gun.

Tomorrow night I'm in my home town for the start of the national league. I hope to witness the man being honoured as he should be by the Armagh faithful. Cavan folks are free to join in

Newbridge Exile

Condolences to his family , he was a man of integrity who contributed so much to the the peace we have today.

J70

That's a shame. Formidable character and didn't mince words.

RIP

J70

I still laugh at him calling Willie McCrea the "village idiot of the Assembly"!  ;D

Rois

Tommie Gorman's article on RTE is super.
Seamus Mallon really seemed to have a true vocation, and what an effect he has had on our lives.
A book of condolence will be opened in Belfast City Hall tomorrow, and I'd imagine in many other places throughout the country.

Rossfan

RIP Séamus.
You lived through interesting times!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Armamike

A great man.  A politician who was made of the right stuff.  I missed his forthrightness and insight when he moved into the background.  Always an education to listen to him.

And a great Armagh supporter too ;)

That's just, like your opinion man.

balladmaker

I only met Seamus once, and that was in the foyer of Jury's Hotel in Ballsbridge, the morning of the 2002 All Ireland Final.  A gentleman through and through, and one who's name will be at the very forefront of our era when historians come to analyse it.  RIP Seamus.

GiveItToTheShooters

Kobe Bryant apparently.