Armagh vs Clare 2018 R3 AI Qualifier - Athletic Grounds

Started by Solo_run, June 25, 2018, 04:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 28, 2018, 12:28:19 AM
Banner boss Colm Collins hits out at Clare's senseless away day

The rule which dictated the Clare footballers lose home advantage to Armagh despite being first out of the hat "doesn't make any sense", according to Banner boss Colm Collins.

Clare were pitted against Kieran McGeeney's side in Monday's third round qualifier draw, the game fixed for Armagh's Athletic Grounds owing to the stipulation that Division 3/4 counties shall receive home advantage if drawn against a team from the league's top two tiers.

Clare finished third in Division 2 and they'll be joined by Armagh in the league's second tier next year, the Orchard County finishing the spring as Division 3 champions.

"We were happy to be in the pot after coming through a really difficult game with Offaly, but it was only afterwards that you think about it and say, God almighty, who thought this one out. You have a team in the same division as us next year and they get home advantage. It doesn't make any sense," said Collins.
I'd been thinking this exactly. There's no way Armagh v Clare should be regarded as a weaker county v a stronger county! Rule needs tweaking...

tonto1888

Quote from: Hound on June 28, 2018, 06:59:20 AM

The rule which dictated the Clare footballers lose home advantage to Armagh despite being first out of the hat "doesn't make any sense", according to Banner boss Colm Collins.

Clare were pitted against Kieran McGeeney's side in Monday's third round qualifier draw, the game fixed for Armagh's Athletic Grounds owing to the stipulation that Division 3/4 counties shall receive home advantage if drawn against a team from the league's top two tiers.

Clare finished third in Division 2 and they'll be joined by Armagh in the league's second tier next year, the Orchard County finishing the spring as Division 3 champions.

"We were happy to be in the pot after coming through a really difficult game with Offaly, but it was only afterwards that you think about it and say, God almighty, who thought this one out. You have a team in the same division as us next year and they get home advantage. It doesn't make any sense," said Collins.
I'd been thinking this exactly. There's no way Armagh v Clare should be regarded as a weaker county v a stronger county! Rule needs tweaking...

It's worked out in our favour but I don't agree with the rule either. First out should be at home and that's that.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 28, 2018, 08:29:15 AM

It's worked out in our favour but I don't agree with the rule either. First out should be at home and that's that.

Should be a separation of 2 divisions to alter home advantage.

Stan Laurel

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 27, 2018, 08:49:59 AM
Quote from: Stan Laurel on June 26, 2018, 09:27:15 PM
Quote from: our_fella on June 26, 2018, 04:32:57 PM
What do we see the team being? I'd go with
Hughes
Burns - McKay - McCabe
Shields - Donaghy - Forker
Vernon - Sheridan
McShane - Hall - Grimley
Grugan - Murnin - McParland

Is he not still injured?

Came on against West neath and was warming up v sligo

Saw him warming up but his mum told me he had no chance of coming on and wasn't too optimistic if they beat Sligo either that he would play.

smelmoth

Quote from: Stan Laurel on June 28, 2018, 09:06:02 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 27, 2018, 08:49:59 AM
Quote from: Stan Laurel on June 26, 2018, 09:27:15 PM
Quote from: our_fella on June 26, 2018, 04:32:57 PM
What do we see the team being? I'd go with
Hughes
Burns - McKay - McCabe
Shields - Donaghy - Forker
Vernon - Sheridan
McShane - Hall - Grimley
Grugan - Murnin - McParland

Is he not still injured?

Came on against West neath and was warming up v sligo

Saw him warming up but his mum told me he had no chance of coming on and wasn't too optimistic if they beat Sligo either that he would play.

Poses more questions than it answers that one.

He is the lad from the AI minors that has stuck with the county set up the longest, one of the best club players in the county but at inter county level doesn't seem to get the breaks or the backing. A few injuries don't help

smelmoth

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 28, 2018, 08:29:15 AM

I agree with rule. You could argue that it should be based upon next years league rather than this and say making Cavan play Down in the marshes but there will always be quirks around the bottom of Division 2/top of Division 3 but they are worth living with for a rule that can take some of the bigger boys into Dungarvan, Carrick on Shannon, Aughrim, Carlow, Longford etc.

illdecide

No teams named yet? Has the tradionally Thursday night team selection been done away with?
Will the hot weather this weekewnd suit the fitter elite teams, the last 10 mins should be interesting in this weekends games when players tire in the heat. Will we see more goals and mistakes?

Looking forward to the game anyway...Armagh by 1pt (I think)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

our_fella

Start or finish with strongest team? Eg Grimley / Sheridan / McParland

tippabu

Couple of things I hate about this home and away advantage for division 3 and 4 teams. If Louth were drawn out 1st against Armagh, Armagh would have home advantage due to being a perceived "weaker" team based on league.

My biggest gripe though is if Donegal went out in round 1 of Ulster they could in theory get waterford, Wexford and wicklow/carlow in qualifiers and have to be away to them each week, how is it fair to ask a team and especially supporters make them journeys week after week. It's a ridiculous rule. Same as the Newbridge saga, if you're in the qualifiers it should be purely luck of the draw

illdecide

I know where you're all coming from and Armagh have benefited from it this time but more than likely the shoe will be on the other foot this time next year so i'm not getting too excited about it.
Everyone knew the craic ages ago but it's only when a secnario pops up like the Armagh one where everyone's getting their knickers in a twist, the rules were there and we all knew what was happening...just get on with it, like i said it'll work itself out and I'm sure Armagh will get the other end of the stick next season or the season after...
Last thing, wouldn't have cared less if i had to travel to Ennis tomorrow for the game. In fact would have prefered it tbh.

smelmoth

Quote from: tippabu on June 29, 2018, 11:49:27 AM
Couple of things I hate about this home and away advantage for division 3 and 4 teams. If Louth were drawn out 1st against Armagh, Armagh would have home advantage due to being a perceived "weaker" team based on league.

My biggest gripe though is if Donegal went out in round 1 of Ulster they could in theory get waterford, Wexford and wicklow/carlow in qualifiers and have to be away to them each week, how is it fair to ask a team and especially supporters make them journeys week after week. It's a ridiculous rule. Same as the Newbridge saga, if you're in the qualifiers it should be purely luck of the draw

I disagree

That draw would be unlucky rather than unfair.

An only unlucky in the location of the game which is more than compensated by the sheer luck of getting that passage through the qualifiers

Solo_run

The way it should be done is to alternate between home advantage.

In the first round of the qualifiers home advantage is determined by who is drawn out first.
For the second round onwards home advantage should be given to the team who played away in round 1. If both teams played away then if the teams played against each other in the championship before (Lets say within the last 10 years) the away team last time should be given home advantage. For example, let's say Westmeath and Armagh faced each other in the next round, Armagh should be given home advantage instead of Westmeath as they had it last season.

illdecide

our_fella

Since 2016, inc tomorrow, we'll have played 9 qualifiers... 2 at home. So quit your yapping.

illdecide

Quote from: our_fella on June 29, 2018, 12:57:27 PM
Since 2016, inc tomorrow, we'll have played 9 qualifiers... 2 at home. So quit your yapping.
Case closed...