Cavan v Tyrone

Started by tyroneman, June 25, 2018, 10:22:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Itchy on June 29, 2018, 03:48:09 PM
Quote from: bigpackiechestout on June 29, 2018, 03:33:43 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on June 29, 2018, 03:08:57 PM
Quote from: Jayop on June 29, 2018, 02:23:19 PM
What sort of a crowd are ye expecting now? With the weather I can see it being close to full.

Cavan will bring a small crowd. Down match was the last straw for many in terms of direction and it's also being televised.

Out of curiosity, why are Cavan so downbeat? They got promoted from Division 2 this year meaning that they will have played 2 out of 3 seasons in Division 1, and therefore have a legitimate claim to be one of the top 8 to 10 teams in the country. Surely Saturday is a massive opportunity for them, i saw a Cavan journalist on twitter say that if they were to beat Tyrone it would be their biggest championship victory since 1997. And if they were to progress they would fancy their chances against any of the provincial losers for a place in the Super 8s.

I would have thought all of the above represents good progress for a county with Cavans record over the last couple of decades. Ok they shipped a heavy enough defeat to Donegal but Donegal's performances since show that they are a strong outfit. Is the pessimism related to the style of football or are the supporters not happy with Mattie? From the outside looking in Cavan had been putting up good scores in the League and correct me if I'm wrong also but haven't a host of senior players dropped off the panel over the last year or two which makes Cavan's current standing even more impressive.

Again from the outside looking in, Cavans current plight seems to reflect a more general malaise in county football at the minute. As I said, Cavan could be seen to be punching above their weight and are arguably a top 10 team, yet there seems to be no buy in from their supporters. Ok they have no chance of winning an All Ireland so you could argue a second tier competition would benefit them and give them something proper to play for. Although I guarantee if this was suggested to the players or management they would have other ideas. It seems to be a strange one and I've no clue how it can be fixed to be honest

Lad, outside Dublin, Kerry and Mayo no one has a chance of winning the All Ireland.

Cavan fans are depressed with the way we set up the last day v Down and against Donegal. Its all over the place. Defenders standing around doing nothing, dropping our best forward. I could write an essay. There is no optimism but you know sometimes that's when we pull one out of the bag.

Kerry with 7 lads making their debuts are in full transition mode its a bit early for them yet. I don't know how many more All Ireland finals Mayo have to lose before people realize they aren't going to win the All Ireland. Its basically Dublin's All Ireland to lose and it has been that way since 2013.

Cavan fans would be less depressed I can imagine if they defended better in games and Tyrone i'd say was the one team they didn't want in round 3.

Baggio90

Quote from: Jayop on June 29, 2018, 06:25:37 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 29, 2018, 05:59:09 PM
Cavan are infuriating. They have just been promoted to Division 1 . They have some very experienced players. Young fellas with a few ulster under 21s. Tyrone are mediocre. But they will still probably have bate Cavan even before the ball is thrown in. And it's 21 years since 97

mediocre lol???

How do you work that one out and by what standard? By Dublin's standard everyone is mediocre. By Everyone else's standard Tyrone are among the very best teams in the country.

We also have some very experienced players, we've players from both the 2006 and 2015 Ulster U21 winning panels, and the 2015 All-Ireland minor winners. We've players 4 Ulster minor winning teams and 2 All-Ireland minor winning teams. We've one player left with a Sr football All Ireland and 5 senior Ulster football championships.

But yeah that's a mediocre side with f**k all achievements. In the last few years we've either gone out to the winner of the AI or the runner up by narrow margins.

Maybe stick to subjects you have a clue about.

I think Seafoid is a bit perturbed by the fact that Tyrone have won three All Irelands since Galway last even won a football Championship game at Croke Park.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Is seafóid an seafóid í, as gaeilge, ie, nonsense, never forget that! ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Gmac

seafoid

Quote from: Baggio90 on June 29, 2018, 08:53:35 PM
Cavan are infuriating. They have just been promoted to Division 1 . They have some very experienced players. Young fellas with a few ulster under 21s. Tyrone are mediocre. But they will still probably have bate Cavan even before the ball is thrown in. And it's 21 years since 97

mediocre lol???

How do you work that one out and by what standard? By Dublin's standard everyone is mediocre. By Everyone else's standard Tyrone are among the very best teams in the country.

We also have some very experienced players, we've players from both the 2006 and 2015 Ulster U21 winning panels, and the 2015 All-Ireland minor winners. We've players 4 Ulster minor winning teams and 2 All-Ireland minor winning teams. We've one player left with a Sr football All Ireland and 5 senior Ulster football championships.

But yeah that's a mediocre side with f**k all achievements. In the last few years we've either gone out to the winner of the AI or the runner up by narrow margins.

I think Seafoid is a bit perturbed by the fact that Tyrone have won three All Irelands since Galway last even won a football Championship game at Croke Park.
Ní uasal agus íseal ach thus seal agus thíos seal.
I think Tyrone are thíos  seal and in denial. 

There are many more narratives than getting beaten out the door by Armagh say in Round 1 of Ulster  (0) and winning craobh na hÉireann (100). Not all threads lead to the top.

Baggio90

Quote from: seafoid on June 30, 2018, 07:12:38 AM
Quote from: Baggio90 on June 29, 2018, 08:53:35 PM

mediocre lol???

Ní uasal agus íseal ach thus seal agus thíos seal.
I think Tyrone are thíos  seal and in denial. 

There are many more narratives than getting beaten out the door by Armagh say in Round 1 of Ulster  (0) and winning craobh na hÉireann (100). Not all threads lead to the top.

The lady doth protest too much.

Imposerous

Blowitupref

Decent game so far. 15 mins played Cavan 0-4 Tyrone 0-4
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Baile an tuaigh

Tyrone in full flight are lovely to watch.

straightred

Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on June 30, 2018, 05:32:10 PM
Tyrone in full flight are lovely to watch.

and cavan certainly aren't. clueless at the moment

twohands!!!

Jeez lads I think it's poor enough fare.
Tyrone slightly less worse than a woeful Cavan.
Can't see either side doing anything of note.

Itchy

Two shit teams. Cavan just more shit and have no attacking plan at all. Pathetic stuff.

Captain Obvious

If this game carries on the same way 2nd half Tyrone will win by 8 to 10 points.

Baile an tuaigh

The Tyrone 45 is like the lunching pad for all their attacks. Cavan finding it hard to breach. Tyrone so disciplined in the tackle so many turn overs. If Tyrone get first score of second half Cavan could wilt.

Rois

Tyrone conceded their first free in the 31st minute.