Cavan v Tyrone

Started by tyroneman, June 25, 2018, 10:22:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayop

I was up at the league final Itchy and you had set up almost man for man that day. While not a good result it was a great entertaining game for a neutral (OK I have Cavan ties so was big time up for them). The problem that day seemed to be that your defenders are simply not good enough to mark man to man and after that I was completely unsurprised to hear you'd gone more defensive in the championship.

Donegal you can completely understand and while you certainly could have been more attacking against Down from what I've read it would make sense for a manager who's trying to look a game or two ahead to stick with the system he's intending to use. Surely no-one from Cavan would want you to go out against Tyrone man to man??

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Jayop on June 29, 2018, 04:06:18 PM
I was up at the league final Itchy and you had set up almost man for man that day. While not a good result it was a great entertaining game for a neutral (OK I have Cavan ties so was big time up for them). The problem that day seemed to be that your defenders are simply not good enough to mark man to man and after that I was completely unsurprised to hear you'd gone more defensive in the championship.

Donegal you can completely understand and while you certainly could have been more attacking against Down from what I've read it would make sense for a manager who's trying to look a game or two ahead to stick with the system he's intending to use. Surely no-one from Cavan would want you to go out against Tyrone man to man??

Yes this is what I was getting at. Appreciate I am looking in from the outside but Cavan seem to be an example of a team who are set up to maximise the ability of the players at their disposal and as a result they are punching slightly above their weight. Maybe Cavan people would say I am being unfair on the players they have in the county and that under another manager they would a competitive Division 1 side and competing for Ulster titles, but I can't see it.

I just think that given Cavans circumstances if their fans are disillusioned with the team at present then what are the 20 odd teams below them in the pecking order going to be like. And if that's the case then it paints a bleak picture for county football as a whole.

Jayop

I just don't understand why Cavan aren't stronger and I'm really not trying to be patronising here.

They've the richest history and tradition in Ulster by a country mile.
Only 4 teams in Ireland have more provincial titles than them.
Only 5 teams have more allirelands than them.
Outside of Mayo I've never met people from a county who are more football mad, it's all anyone talks about and the club scene seems pretty decent.
They've no soccer team to compete with.
They had a really successful underage panel a few years ago that are all in their prime now.

Now they are relatively a small county with 76k population.
They're in a malaise for the last 20 years and longer.
According to the missus at least when she lived there a lot of country players were picked based on who they were and what club rather than ability.

It's just strange how a county can fall off a cliff like that, but in 20 years time they'll still be the most successful Ulster team ever.

Solo_run

Tyrone 3-14
Cavan 1-12

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Jayop on June 29, 2018, 04:31:42 PM
I just don't understand why Cavan aren't stronger and I'm really not trying to be patronising here.

Outside of Mayo I've never met people from a county who are more football mad, it's all anyone talks about and the club scene seems pretty decent.
They had a really successful underage panel a few years ago that are all in their prime now.

According to the missus at least when she lived there a lot of country players were picked based on who they were and what club rather than ability.

It's just strange how a county can fall off a cliff like that, but in 20 years time they'll still be the most successful Ulster team ever.

This is all dangerous talk from a Tyrone perspective ahead of tomorrow. Cavan are due one!!

Jayop

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on June 29, 2018, 04:52:41 PM
Quote from: Jayop on June 29, 2018, 04:31:42 PM

This is all dangerous talk from a Tyrone perspective ahead of tomorrow. Cavan are due one!!

What happens happens regardless of what I think or post on here!  ;D ;D

While I expect Tyrone to win by a few Cavan got a nice boost with the two lads coming back, playing in brewster should suit them too and they have nothing to lose as underdogs.

Rossfan

Cavan's last AI was 66 years ago.
How many Ulsters since?  5?
Emigration off small farms and no big towns so population losses, like most rural Counties.
Gaelic football improving  by leaps and bounds in the 6Cos  following the 1947 Education Act. Meant  larger numbers of Catholics going to  secondary schools. Increased no of teaching jobs too.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

redzone

So Cavan people are thick then

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on June 29, 2018, 05:05:06 PM
Emigration off small farms and no big towns so population losses, like most rural Counties.
Gaelic football improving  by leaps and bounds in the 6Cos  following the 1947 Education Act. Meant  larger numbers of Catholics going to  secondary schools. Increased no of teaching jobs too.
After 1921 either Cavan, Monaghan or Donegal were going to make hay and clean up Anglo Celt titles. The occupied territories were in no state to get organised football wise and there was no support from the authorities.
This effect lasted until the end of the 50s.

Rossfan

Donegal were into fishing,  working in Scotland or Soccer.
Only won their first Ulster in 1972 I believe.
The 6 Cos teams started taking over from 53 wasn't it?
Armagh,  Tyrone,Derry and then the real thing Down all won Ulsters in the 1950s.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on June 29, 2018, 05:47:58 PM
Armagh,  Tyrone,Derry and then the real thing Down all won Ulsters in the 1950s.

Yes. and they needed to do a few iterations before Down got there. I would love to have been in CP for the 1960 final.

I think Ros, Cavan and Mayo won all their Sams in a 20 year period - 33 to 52
That was a glorious era for BMW football

seafoid

Cavan are infuriating. They have just been promoted to Division 1 . They have some very experienced players. Young fellas with a few ulster under 21s. Tyrone are mediocre. But they will still probably have bate Cavan even before the ball is thrown in. And it's 21 years since 97

Itchy

Quote from: Rossfan on June 29, 2018, 05:05:06 PM

Dont think that was it. It was complacency. Cavan didn't move with the times and were still playing kick and catch in the 80s losing to teams with lesser quality players. It was a slippery slope. By the way cavan were a force in the 60s and should have won an all Ireland or two. They dished out some by beatings to down when they were reigning all Ireland champs. Charlie Gallagher was one of Ireland best in the 60s.

Jayop

Quote from: seafoid on June 29, 2018, 05:59:09 PM
Cavan are infuriating. They have just been promoted to Division 1 . They have some very experienced players. Young fellas with a few ulster under 21s. Tyrone are mediocre. But they will still probably have bate Cavan even before the ball is thrown in. And it's 21 years since 97

mediocre lol???

How do you work that one out and by what standard? By Dublin's standard everyone is mediocre. By Everyone else's standard Tyrone are among the very best teams in the country.

We also have some very experienced players, we've players from both the 2006 and 2015 Ulster U21 winning panels, and the 2015 All-Ireland minor winners. We've players 4 Ulster minor winning teams and 2 All-Ireland minor winning teams. We've one player left with a Sr football All Ireland and 5 senior Ulster football championships.

But yeah that's a mediocre side with f**k all achievements. In the last few years we've either gone out to the winner of the AI or the runner up by narrow margins.

Maybe stick to subjects you have a clue about.

Rossfan

Quote from: seafoid on June 29, 2018, 05:54:36 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 29, 2018, 05:47:58 PM

Yes. and they needed to do a few iterations before Down got there. I would love to have been in CP for the 1960 final.

I think Ros, Cavan and Mayo won all their Sams in a 20 year period - 33 to 52
That was a glorious era for BMW football
BMW football!!! That's a new one :D
Maybe we could have a BMW Championship.
2 Galway,  2 Ros, 3 Mayowestros and 5 Cavan.
12 out of 20.
Halcyon heritage days.