Tír Eoghain vs Maigh Eo, Healy Park, March 26th @3pm

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, March 19, 2017, 04:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

is there any set of supporters that turn on their team as quickly as mayo as though there is a deep lack of  belief that we will never win anything and just waiting for the Confirmation Bias .
mayo are having a poor enough league so far but nothing major to worry about but to listen to the general tone from mayo supporters would lead you to think we lost to Roscommon or worse
we are in the same position at this stage last year and yet came within a lousy refs call of winning the all-Ireland.
A little bit of Faith goes a long way
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

redhandofgod

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on March 21, 2017, 11:48:04 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 21, 2017, 10:57:17 AM
Think we could with a bit of a shake up for this.

I'd give Donnelly another chance at FF.

1. Morgan
2. Hamspey
3. McNamee
4. McCarron
5. T McCann
6. Burns
7. Meyler
8. C Cavanagh
9. S Cavanagh
10. Sludden
11. C McCann
12. Harte
13. McCurry (O'Neill if McCurry injured)
14. M Donnelly
15. Bradley

Was McCurry injured last week?
Like a bit of a mix up myself. Id go with:
1. N Morgan (rotation)
2. P Hampsey
3. R McNammee
4. HP McGeary
5. T McCann
6. R Brennan
7. K McGeary
8. C Cavanagh
9. F Burns
10. M Donnelly
11. N Sludden
12. P Harte
13. M Bradley
14. S Cavanagh
15. C Meyler (roaming)

Goals will come - Really like the look of that team. Id like to see Munroe given a go at 6.

bucko

Frustration more so than losing the faith, we had an opportunity to all but secure our division 1 status last Sunday and we blew it all down to a poor performance in many areas on the day. Staying up is not impossible but is now a very tough task given the opposition in our last two games. The fact that we are still coughing up goal chances to the opposition in every game, that we keep using the football equivalent of banging our heads off a brick wall when it comes to dealing with massed defences (ultimately the brick wall always wins), that we keep making the same mistakes and don't appear to learn from them only adds to that frustration. To my mind we have only produced a good level of performance once in the league and that was the second half v Kerry. We're going to need that standard plus some more to have a good chance of a result on Sunday.

twohands!!!

Quote from: bucko on March 23, 2017, 04:52:13 PM. To my mind we have only produced a good level of performance once in the league and that was the second half v Kerry. We're going to need that standard plus some more to have a good chance of a result on Sunday.

I really wouldn't be putting a lot of faith in the 2nd half performance against Kerry - Kerry had lost both Enright and Young and had a raft of U21/squad players on the pitch in the 2nd half. They also looked a side who felt they were so on top in the first half (where they had a host of goal chances) and when they took their foot off the accelerator and once Mayo started upping the intensity in the 2nd half they struggled to respond.

bucko

It's the intensity bit that I'd highlight, because we haven't shown a whole lot of it in our last two matches now, especially from a number of the more senior players. We've shown no real bite, no good fair but hard hits, no hunger to win breaks or dirty 50/50 ball. It's something that we really need to get back into our game if we want to get something out of Omagh on Sunday.

twohands!!!

Quote from: bucko on March 23, 2017, 07:58:22 PM
It's the intensity bit that I'd highlight, because we haven't shown a whole lot of it in our last two matches now, especially from a number of the more senior players. We've shown no real bite, no good fair but hard hits, no hunger to win breaks or dirty 50/50 ball. It's something that we really need to get back into our game if we want to get something out of Omagh on Sunday.

Mayo did have the greater intensity but I think at least part of that was Kerry being very disjointed. At the moment I think Tyrone will win this weekend and Mayo will beat Donegal the following weekend - I think Donegal have little/no interest in getting to a league final this year while Mayo will pull a performance out of the bag to avoid the drop.

bucko

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 23, 2017, 08:46:28 PM
Quote from: bucko on March 23, 2017, 07:58:22 PM

Mayo did have the greater intensity but I think at least part of that was Kerry being very disjointed. At the moment I think Tyrone will win this weekend and Mayo will beat Donegal the following weekend - I think Donegal have little/no interest in getting to a league final this year while Mayo will pull a performance out of the bag to avoid the drop.
You're probably right, I wasn't at the game myself so was listening on madwest. But what I could gather was that while Kerry did have injuries we also re jigged our defence and midfield, o'donaghue came into corner back, Durcan to wing back, Vaughan back to the other wing and Coen to MF. It sounded like after those changes that Kerry didn't open us up for the rest of the game as they did in the first half. Even on paper that back line has been far more balanced than anything we've put out in the rest of the league. For the life of me I just cannot understand the playing of Paddy Durcan at corner back. As regards this Sunday, I would agree with a Tyrone win, Healy Park is a hard enough to place to go to at the best of times, never mind our form coming into it. I'm not sure if we can up it enough to get some decent result out of it. But given the history between the teams it wouldn't surprise me if we did!

Fear ón Srath Bán

And for the latest instalment in the 2017 Project Fear Citadel Healy Park experiment ;) ...

Cluiche: Maigh Eo v Tír Eoghain

1 – Niall Morgan – Éadan na dTorc
2 – Pádraig Hampsey – Oileán a'Ghuail
3 – Ronan McNamee – Achadh Uí Aráin
4 – Cathal McCarron – An Droim Mór
5 – Rory Brennan – Trí Leac
6 – Justin McMahon – An Omaigh
7 – Tiernan McCann – Coill an Chlochair
8 – Colm Cavanagh – An Mhaigh
9 – Declan McClure – Cluain Eo
10 – Kieran McGeary – Cabhán a'Chaortainn
11 – Niall Sludden – An Droim Mhór
12 – Peter Harte – Aireagal Chiaráin
13 – Mark Bradley – Coill an Chlochair
14 – Sean Cavanagh (c) – An Mhaigh
15 – Matthew Donnelly – Trí Leac

16 – Mickey O'Neill – Cluain Eo
17 – Conall McCann – Coill an Chlochair
18 – Aidan McCrory – Aireagal Chiaráin
19 – Darren McCurry – Éadan na dTorc
20 – Hugh Pat McGeary – Cabhán a'Chaortainn
21 – Ronan McNabb – An Droim Mhór
22 – Padraig McNulty – Dún Geanainn
23 – Cathal McShane – E. R. Uí Néill
24 – Conor Meyler – An Omaigh
25 – Jonathan Monroe – An Charraig Mhór
26 – Ronan O'Neill – An Omaigh
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fuzzman

Pretty much our strongest 15 I'd say.
Tight call between McGeary and Meyler I'd say.

bucko

I see Peter Harte is playing in the half forward line these days,  out of interest how is he performing there? Lee Keegan was tried in the half forward line for ourselves a few years ago without much success if I remember it properly. Higgins played in the HF line in the latter end of the 2013 c'ship but it wasn't persevered with.  But given the options we have in the half back line when we've a full hand to pick from and our issues in our half forward line with lack of pace maybe it's something we may need to look at again.

Tubberman

Quote from: bucko on March 23, 2017, 10:22:07 PM
I see Peter Harte is playing in the half forward line these days,  out of interest how is he performing there? Lee Keegan was tried in the half forward line for ourselves a few years ago without much success if I remember it properly. But given the options we have in the half back line when we've a full hand to pick from and our issues in our half forward line with lack of pace maybe it's something we may need to look at again.

I'd move paddy durcan up before I'd move Lee
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Fear ón Srath Bán

I see Peter Harte is playing in the half forward line these days,  out of interest how is he performing there?...

He's actually our top scorer right now, though a good percentage of those are frees. He generally does well wherever he's played between the 45s.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Il Bomber Destro

I see Peter Harte is playing in the half forward line these days,  out of interest how is he performing there? Lee Keegan was tried in the half forward line for ourselves a few years ago without much success if I remember it properly. But given the options we have in the half back line when we've a full hand to pick from and our issues in our half forward line with lack of pace maybe it's something we may need to look at again.

Very well.

I would have been a big critic of his until he moved from 6 to the half forward line during the 2015 season. He's really flourished since then, he's had the freedom to express himself.

I don't think that team will start though, I see the likes of Meyler, McNabb and McCurry coming in.

No Burns in the 26. Injured?

omagh_gael

Very important game for us at the weekend. Win and we're back on track after the dreadful performance last weekend. Lose and our momentum will take a massive hit.

What's the chances of seeing either Aiden or Seamus O'Se on Sunday? I believe they lined out for their club recently.

Fuzzman

Good to see McNabb back in the squad. He's one of our tougher no nonsense defenders.
I think last weekend is the wakeup call we needed as we were coasting a bit.
As Mickey always said you learn a lot more when you lose.

Re. Keegan. I think most would say he's wasted marking the other teams best player. Needs freedom to attack