The Official Roscommon Thread

Started by Shrewdness, November 30, 2015, 01:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Unlike my fellow Mayomen on the banter page, I have no interest in how much other teams beat other teams by. I certainly don't revel in it. Something must be seriously rotten in the County of Roscommon when they shipped a 21 point defeat last night. Is it all McStay's fault? Or has FOD stepping down caused the malaise?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rodney trotter

Roscommin were too swift removing John Evans, got them promoted 2 years ago. He was removed because of championship results when they had a load of injuries.  Not like they improved last year.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 26, 2017, 12:47:11 PM
Roscommin were too swift removing John Evans, got them promoted 2 years ago. He was removed because of championship results when they had a load of injuries.  Not like they improved last year.

The problem I see with Roscommon is that they're just not good enough, they've had a lot of hype and certain elements of their support on here would tend to feel that they are big players.

A lot of commentary seems to focus on the failings of managers, injuries, internal conflict etc as the reason for disappointing performances. The real reason for the disappointing performances is down to the players, from what I've seen they are overhyped and a lot of that seems to have gone to their heads. I'm surprised at the lack of criticism the players seem to have got now, they've struggled along for the past 4 years now, three different management sides but little upturn in performances or results - just excuses being pedaled for the the under performing players.

I don't think McStay is a good manager and tactically they looked an absolute rabble last night but realistically what's a manager going to do with them. What are realistic expectations for Roscommon. I think they're miles behind Mayo and even Galway. The gap between Sligo and Leitrim to Roscommon is probably much closer than the gap between Roscommon to Galway and Mayo.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 26, 2017, 12:42:17 PM
Unlike my fellow Mayomen on the banter page, I have no interest in how much other teams beat other teams by. I certainly don't revel in it. Something must be seriously rotten in the County of Roscommon when they shipped a 21 point defeat last night. Is it all McStay's fault? Or has FOD stepping down caused the malaise?

I don't gloat either. I sympathise with all decent Rossies who must be shell shocked this morning. I actually like Roscommon and  I'd I'd back them against any side bar my own- (with the possible exception of Sligo and Leitrim.)
Given that the population of the county was just over 64k at the time of the last census and that of Dublin was 1.345 million, the end result was never in doubt but the winning margin did neither team any good. I don't want to keep harping here that the shafting of John Evan was a bad idea and the subsequent results bear this out. Fact is that things haven't gone well for Roscommon since the time a few players got a bit pissed in Donegal and the red top newsrags went to town on the story. Dunno where they go from there but I do think when the management duo parted ways last year, the wrong one was let go.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Beffs

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 26, 2017, 02:01:13 PM

I don't gloat either. I sympathise with all decent Rossies who must be shell shocked this morning. I actually like Roscommon and  I'd I'd back them against any side bar my own- (with the possible exception of Sligo and Leitrim.)
Given that the population of the county was just over 64k at the time of the last census and that of Dublin was 1.345 million, the end result was never in doubt but the winning margin did neither team any good. I don't want to keep harping here that the shafting of John Evan was a bad idea and the subsequent results bear this out. Fact is that things haven't gone well for Roscommon since the time a few players got a bit pissed in Donegal and the red top newsrags went to town on the story. Dunno where they go from there but I do think when the management duo parted ways last year, the wrong one was let go.

Cork have the second biggest playing population in the country, of over half a million. Roscommon beat them very easily last year. I don't remember anyone bringing up population sizes last year, when the Rossies were riding high on their league success. Population size matters eff all, if you send out a poorly prepared, poorly coached, poorly condtioned, poorly motivated and poorly managed team. Cork's current lack of success and Dublins barren years pre 2011 prove that. If Roscommon are going to blame last nights debacle on population size and, not look to rectify other shortcomings, then Roscommon are going to continue to flounder.

Syferus

Far from being shell-shocked, it was totally expected. I'm sure plenty in the county made a few pound betting on Dublin to cover the spread too. Losing just as easily to a far worse side at McHale was the shell-shock moment.

None of ye have any hope against Dublin this year and if ye think otherwise yer only codding yourselves and nobody else.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Syferus on March 26, 2017, 02:51:40 PM

Far from being shell-shocked, it was totally expected. I'm sure plenty in the county made a few pound betting on Dublin to cover the spread too. Losing just as easily to a far worse side at McHale was the shell-shock moment.

None of ye have any hope against Dublin this year and if ye think otherwise yer only codding yourselves and nobody else.

You'd be an expert on codding yourself.

Rossfan

Well Lar - I needless to say believe we kept the wrong half if the pair.
I won't replay the whole saga of the shenanigans that went on but we are rightly fckd now anyway. 
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

moysider

I dunno Lar. FOD had a cut at it before. Sheerin - who tore into McStay - was on the sideline with Tony Mac. when Roscommon took a bit of a walloping in McHale Park back in 99, when they thought they were on their uppers.
I thought Roscommon started well enough and with good intent against the Dubs but were just overwhelmed.  They have players that can play but not at Dublin's level - yet anyway. The Murtagh's and the Smiths will give you moments of quality but too many are not good enough. Especially defenders and midfield. None of their 1-9 would be an asses roar near a Mayo team, never mind a Dublin team. And I'd include a legend like Seanie McDermott in that at this stage of his career.
I have no sympathy for McStay either. He went into this with his eyes wide shut. Above all people he should have known what task he faced. He's been around long enough to know what happens when you're on a sideline and things go pearshaped.
Also Fergie was there last year when they lost badly against Galway and Clare in the championship. Really the board should have got rid of the lot at that stage and started again.

Cunny Funt

Roscommon are the only team in the top two divisions that don't play any sort of a defensive system. No signs of any structure to their defence and they give the opposition so much time and room on the ball to either kick pass or shoot for points. In that type of chaos even Dublin or Mayos best individual defender would look average in.

League football is there to show signs of encouragement for the championship ahead yet for Roscommon they seem to be getting worse the longer the league has gone on. Don't care how good Dublin are when you lose any game by 21 points and concede 2-29 you have simply down your tools. Biggest concern for McStay is he seems to have lost the dressing room before the championship looking at him in recent interviews I don't think he believes half the nonsense he says it sounds scripted and he looks to have aged 10 years in the last 12 months.

The joint management was given 3 years but lasted 1 year in hindsight they should have done 2 years and if it didn't work out then both McStay and O Donnell should have left together and then have a fresh start in 2018 .

seafoid

What was it about Ros last year? Did they start training before everyone else? The league performances were very encouraging but championship was very disappointing. This year they have fallen away altogether and it is not nice to see. There were a good few retirements but how many would have been management related ?

I thought Ros might replace MGHU as the team from Connacht most likely to win Sam but it doesn't look like the case at the moment.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

oliverkelly

Quote from: seafoid on March 27, 2017, 11:10:03 AM
What was it about Ros last year? Did they start training before everyone else? The league performances were very encouraging but championship was very disappointing. This year they have fallen away altogether and it is not nice to see. There were a good few retirements but how many would have been management related ?

I thought Ros might replace MGHU as the team from Connacht most likely to win Sam but it doesn't look like the case at the moment.

Yes they started training way earlier last year but a lot of the good early results could be down to they way the team was after the faboulous work John Evans done with team as the longer last years management went on and this year the worse we are getting. In the early parts of last year we played similar type football as we had under Evans but after getting beat by Mayo in the bog we changed our game plan and tried use a micky mouse defensive plan and slowed the whole thing up. Since then things have only gotten worse.

One player has opted out due to management and thats Niall Daly who was part of the panel until he lost his position for Donegal game and opted out. His brothers wernt asked back onto panel after leaving during championship last year to go to the states( Both should have been its a joke they were never asked back). Donie Shine and David Keenan were dropped before the year started but both should be still involved IMO. James McDermott and Sean Purcell were dropped but neither were good enough although there are lads at same level still involved. Niall Carty,Senan kilbride and Geff Claffey retired, Nialls body didnt allow him to train last year and he was doing himself harm trying to reach level required for county football. Cathal Cregg was studing and working and couldnt commit in early half of the year, He is due to get married at end of the year and has a baby coming in next month or two so couldnt commit( Some believe if a different manager was in charge he would) and Neil collins is due to go travelling and is trying get his fashion business up and runnings so couldnt commit.

Would love to see Evans come back but dont think that will ever happen and certainly wont under current chairman who organised the heeve to get rid of him. After kevin it looks like Nigel Dineen will probably get the job. So extremely worrying times ahead too although he wouldnt be doing any worse than we are now.

Hound

McStay's after match interview on Saturday implied that they have deliberately under-prepared for the league this year, because they were so well prepared last year, and it backfired in championship. Not sure when exactly he expects them to get fitter and better.

But being in the position of only having to beat Leitrim/London to get to a provincial championship final does mean they can legitimately try a completely different preparation.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Leitrim took them in the Connacht semi. But at the same stage, if they sneak past Leitrim, they would be massive underdogs v Mayo in the Connacht final (especially as Mayo will bury Galway well I expect) and then the Rossies could well put in a big performance.

oliverkelly

Quote from: Hound on March 27, 2017, 11:47:09 AM

McStay's after match interview on Saturday implied that they have deliberately under-prepared for the league this year, because they were so well prepared last year, and it backfired in championship. Not sure when exactly he expects them to get fitter and better.

But being in the position of only having to beat Leitrim/London to get to a provincial championship final does mean they can legitimately try a completely different preparation.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Leitrim took them in the Connacht semi. But at the same stage, if they sneak past Leitrim, they would be massive underdogs v Mayo in the Connacht final (especially as Mayo will bury Galway well I expect) and then the Rossies could well put in a big performance.

11 week gap between end of league and leitrim/London game so plenty of time to get fit but we have seen zero evidence of a gameplan or defensive structure so far and still no consitancy on a spine of the team.

moysider

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 27, 2017, 10:32:11 AM
Roscommon are the only team in the top two divisions that don't play any sort of a defensive system. No signs of any structure to their defence and they give the opposition so much time and room on the ball to either kick pass or shoot for points. In that type of chaos even Dublin or Mayos best individual defender would look average in.

League football is there to show signs of encouragement for the championship ahead yet for Roscommon they seem to be getting worse the longer the league has gone on. Don't care how good Dublin are when you lose any game by 21 points and concede 2-29 you have simply down your tools. Biggest concern for McStay is he seems to have lost the dressing room before the championship looking at him in recent interviews I don't think he believes half the nonsense he says it sounds scripted and he looks to have aged 10 years in the last 12 months.

The joint management was given 3 years but lasted 1 year in hindsight they should have done 2 years and if it didn't work out then both McStay and O Donnell should have left together and then have a fresh start in 2018 .

McStay should have put in a proper defensive structure. Probably fluting around with the stuff Liam was at with Mayo back in 2004 and we all know how that ended that September. Can't see McStay change now though.