American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 24, 2008, 01:45:59 PMStill 7-4, and improving. It's a big ask to win in Philly on Thursday, because Philly is east of the Mississippi!!!, but it would be great to wrap up the division next weekend.

Heard some stat yesterday - that teams in the west are 0-15 when they play in the EST time zone this season

thejuice

By the way, what was the storey with the "unopposed kick" last night. Never heard of that rule before. It was a disaster anyway
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AZOffaly

You are allowed take a free kick at any time after a punt if the kick returner makes a 'fair catch' sign. It's basically the equivalent of a rugby penalty, but the kicker can't use a tee. Rackers bottled that actually, tried to hit it too hard, he can kick 60 or 70 yards no bother, but off a tee.

Gabriel_Hurl

the last successful one in the NFL was in 1968

and here's something for the Giants fans

https://www.giantsproshop.com/index.cfm

30% off everything today

Use the code friendfamily at the checkout

magickingdom

Quote from: thejuice on November 24, 2008, 01:59:38 PM
By the way, what was the storey with the "unopposed kick" last night. Never heard of that rule before. It was a disaster anyway

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 24, 2008, 02:14:02 PM
You are allowed take a free kick at any time after a punt if the kick returner makes a 'fair catch' sign. It's basically the equivalent of a rugby penalty, but the kicker can't use a tee. Rackers bottled that actually, tried to hit it too hard, he can kick 60 or 70 yards no bother, but off a tee.

explains it here.. about half way down the page
http://www.extremeskins.com/archive/index.php/t-139607.html

thejuice

Well The Saints keep their chances alive last night with a great performance. Drew Brees threw for 329 yds. I think he is still on track to break Dan Marino's single season passing yds record.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

thejuice

Drew has 5 games left, has passed for 3,574 yds,

Dan finished 1984 with 5,084 yds.

Drew has to throw for more than 302 yds in each of the next 5 games to beat it.

Does anyone know how many games did Marino play in 84? It wasnt 16 was it? Which makes it all the more remarkable, much like Jerry Rices records

Minder

Marino would have played 16 games Juice. 16 Game season was introduced in late 70's (barring strike years obviously)
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

the Deel Rover

What do ye reckon of cassells lads he has put just put back to back 400 yards passing games together something even brady hasn't done , he is a free agent at the end of the year, can ye see him staying there when brady comes back?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

thejuice

I reckon Brees could do it so. They have Tampa Bay who he passed for 343 yds against already this season, then the Falcons who he passed for 400+ yds (still lost  ;D ), then the Bears who have been suspect on defense, then Detroit who I would imagine he'll put up numbers on and finally and crucially against Carolina (231 yds), which will probably have a huge impact on the play-off situation in the NFC South and will mostl likely decide if Brees breaks the record.

As for Matt Cassell, if they win the big one which isnt beyond them by any means he might stay, Brady could well be dropped if they think his knee is going to make him injury prone in the future, I would be surprised if both were still there next year. Most likely though Matt will go elsewhere

Puckoon

Brees could break the record, but the saints need to go 5-0 to have a chance at the playoffs.

Rossie11

From hearing Brees interview last night he is more interested in making the play offs than the record.

I reckon if the Saints go 5-0 they will win the division as they have 3 division games in there and the other
teams will take wins off each other.
A big ask and 22/1 with PP if you fancy it.
Cant see it myself.

thejuice

Quote from: Rossie11 on November 25, 2008, 04:36:09 PM
From hearing Brees interview last night he is more interested in making the play offs than the record.

I reckon if the Saints go 5-0 they will win the division as they have 3 division games in there and the other
teams will take wins off each other.
A big ask and 22/1 with PP if you fancy it.
Cant see it myself.

Im sure he is more interested in making the play-offs. Im sure Dan Marino was thinking the same. I cant see them making it either. They might not beat any of the teams left on their schedule except for the Lions

Puckoon

If they protect Drew Brees like they did last night, and he throws the way hes thrown all season, and they get a bit of luck - they will do it.

Unfortunately only one of those three possibilities is an actuality.

Gabriel_Hurl

Well - if Deuce goes down to this suspension for the drug thing and Bush isn't fully fit - they'll have no choice but to throw the thing