Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: weareros on August 04, 2019, 10:54:40 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 04, 2019, 11:40:37 AM
I know it's s dead rubber game but no chat on the Cork v Roscommon game?

Glad to have made the trip to Páirc UI Rinn today, to thank lads for a great season and ended up getting a very enjoyable game, seven goals, in very poor playing conditions. Well done to both teams for going for it. While it was a dead rubber, still a shame that RTÉ did not show live for older folk who could not travel as it was still a qtr Final and have often seen them show challenge soccer and rugby games. Great little pitch and decent atmosphere. I think with likes of Ciaran and Ultan back and rising stars like Heneghan, I remain confident for future. Well done to Anthony and the lads. Beating Mayo and Galway on their own patches is always a great year. Only last years finalists beat us. #3. Onwards.
Glad I too like 7 or 800 more made the trip
Met some lovely Cork folks too who were appreciative of us making such a long trip.
We mixed the bad, the ridiculous, the good, the ugly and the magnificent at various stage on a horrible day for football.
We got there in the end and the win topped off a good season for us even though we still failed to reach the Tyrone/ Dublin status.
Hope the folks staying over in Cork enjoyed the night and hope the players enjoy the well earned break in the Sun.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

giveballaghback

I was delighted to make the trip to Cork in appreciation of the teams achievements this year. It was a good competitive game played in horrible conditions. Ros missed Mullooly badly and may have prevented both those Cork fisted goals if he was playing.
That said Cork were 1-2 up before a roscommon outfield player kicked the ball but we settled down well and played some brilliant football at times.
The super 8 set up as it stands is not working. Donegal who lost no game lose to Mayo who lost 2 games and Mayo get the semi spot. This also happened when the knockout quarter finals were the thing. It has to be changed and there has to be a reward for winning the province. So what about the following suggestion.
The 4 provincial champions in group 1 and the 4 qualifiers in group 2.
The top 2 teams in group 1 qualify for the semi- finals, the bottom 2 teams in group 1 play the top 2 teams in group 2 for the other 2 semi spots. Dont shoot the messenger.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on August 05, 2019, 03:03:40 AM
Quote from: weareros on August 04, 2019, 10:54:40 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 04, 2019, 11:40:37 AM
I know it's s dead rubber game but no chat on the Cork v Roscommon game?

Glad to have made the trip to Páirc UI Rinn today, to thank lads for a great season and ended up getting a very enjoyable game, seven goals, in very poor playing conditions. Well done to both teams for going for it. While it was a dead rubber, still a shame that RTÉ did not show live for older folk who could not travel as it was still a qtr Final and have often seen them show challenge soccer and rugby games. Great little pitch and decent atmosphere. I think with likes of Ciaran and Ultan back and rising stars like Heneghan, I remain confident for future. Well done to Anthony and the lads. Beating Mayo and Galway on their own patches is always a great year. Only last years finalists beat us. #3. Onwards.

Glad I toi like 7 or 800 more made the trip
Met some lovely Cork folks too who were appreciative of us making such a long trip.
We mixed the bad, the ridiculous, the good, the ugly and the magnificent at various stage on a horrible day for football.
We got there in the end and the win topped off a good season for us even though we still failed to reach the Tyrone/ Dublin status.
Hope the folks staying over in Cork enjoyed the night and hope the players enjoy the well earned break in the Sun.

Great to see Ros ending on a high
Cunningham has done a decent job this year
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

6th sam

Quote from: giveballaghback on August 05, 2019, 12:09:42 PM
I was delighted to make the trip to Cork in appreciation of the teams achievements this year. It was a good competitive game played in horrible conditions. Ros missed Mullooly badly and may have prevented both those Cork fisted goals if he was playing.
That said Cork were 1-2 up before a roscommon outfield player kicked the ball but we settled down well and played some brilliant football at times.
The super 8 set up as it stands is not working. Donegal who lost no game lose to Mayo who lost 2 games and Mayo get the semi spot. This also happened when the knockout quarter finals were the thing. It has to be changed and there has to be a reward for winning the province. So what about the following suggestion.
The 4 provincial champions in group 1 and the 4 qualifiers in group 2.
The top 2 teams in group 1 qualify for the semi- finals, the bottom 2 teams in group 1 play the top 2 teams in group 2 for the other 2 semi spots. Dont shoot the messenger.
Fair suggestion but would mean an extra week of games, still chance of shadow boxing/dead rubber games, and unfairness of score difference comes in, a team could theoretically lose 4 games in a season and still end up in a prelimary all ireland semi.

The suggestion I made though not perfect , works well in Down championship and there are no dead rubbers, no score difference and  every game has meAning. Anyone getting to the last 8 will have only lost a maximum of 1 game, they Are only allowed 1 further slip up in last 8.

To clarify:
Round 1: 8 teams playoff.
Round 2:4 winners play off in a winners group, 4 losers playoff in a losers group eliminating 2 teams
Round 3:2 winners in winners group Are rewarded with a rest, 2 losers in winners group playoff against the two teams who have won their losers group matches, losers in those matches eliminated
Week 4: Round 2 winners play round 3 winners.

All but 2 teams get at least 3 games, every game is meaningful , score difference doesn't apply

Rossfan

That was the system in the Christy Ring for a few years.
One thing it does is eliminate dead rubbers.
I expect they will give the Round Robin QFs their 3rd year as planned though with some tweaks.
Unless of course this Review Committee comes up with some radical new proposal which catches everyone's imaginations...
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

6th sam

Quote from: Rossfan on August 05, 2019, 02:34:48 PM
That was the system in the Christy Ring for a few years.
One thing it does is eliminate dead rubbers.
I expect they will give the Round Robin QFs their 3rd year as planned though with some tweaks.
Unless of course this Review Committee comes up with some radical new proposal which catches everyone's imaginations...
It's a simple system and would solve most of the problems we've had with super 8s. For the money men-The loss of 2 games overall will be counteracted by the fact that every game has meaning and should attract bigger crowds. The Cork Roscommon and Meath Kerry games this weekend were hardly money spinners and were probably run at an overall loss especially for competing counties. Croke park should not be involved until semi stage, keep it special for full houses only, and bring the super 8 games down the country neutral venues