Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

There was a business owner on radio 1 yesterday evening talking about how they're planning for Brexit. They make some sort of energy supplement and originally manufactured in Ireland but had moved to Wales in 2015. He said they're building a new plant in Mullingar to serve the EU market (they had planned to move back at some stage anyway) and reducing production in Wales to 15% to serve the UK market. Their suppliers (currently UK based) are setting up a new distribution centre in Germany to serve the EU and that's where the materials for the Mullingar plant will come from. They've told all suppliers that they'll need to be able to provide a supply chain that avoids the UK. They may also have to set up a new distribution centre in the North which will be supplied by the Wales plant rather than Mullingar

trailer

Quote from: haranguerer on September 26, 2018, 09:14:26 AM
Quote from: trailer on September 25, 2018, 05:10:27 PM
Quote from: TheOptimist on September 25, 2018, 04:49:41 PM
Quote from: trailer on September 25, 2018, 04:23:30 PM
Quote from: weareros on September 25, 2018, 01:55:50 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 25, 2018, 01:36:26 PM
Watching frampton's documentary last night it was interesting seeing "leave eu" written all over the side of houses in tigers bay and then eu flags on the 11th night bonfire. I wonder what reasons these people have for wanting to leave the eu??

Before their fairly recent about turn, wasn't Sinn Fein pretty anti-Eu, too?

SF very anti EU. The UKIP of Ireland. Consistently campaigned for No votes in all referendums. Didn't register as an official remain party and tellingly didn't campaign for a remain vote. West Belfast a SF stronghold had the lowest turnout in the referendum of all constituencies.

That's just false

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/sinn-f%C3%A9in-to-campaign-against-brexit-in-eu-referendum-1.2476720

No it's not. And the article (from 2015) you linked says they will campaign for yes vote but in reality they didn't bother.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about, so you should stop.

I think you'll find i know a lot more about it than you think.
48.9% turnout in West Belfast is fair indication of Sinn Fein's campaigning.
Didn't register as a remain party.
Have consistently campaigned for a No vote in every ROI EU Referendum.

But yeah, I don't know what I am talking about.

RedHand88

Quote from: trailer on September 26, 2018, 12:18:07 PM
Watching frampton's documentary last night it was interesting seeing "leave eu" written all over the side of houses in tigers bay and then eu flags on the 11th night bonfire. I wonder what reasons these people have for wanting to leave the eu??

SF very anti EU. The UKIP of Ireland. Consistently campaigned for No votes in all referendums. Didn't register as an official remain party and tellingly didn't campaign for a remain vote. West Belfast a SF stronghold had the lowest turnout in the referendum of all constituencies.

That's just false

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/sinn-f%C3%A9in-to-campaign-against-brexit-in-eu-referendum-1.2476720

No it's not. And the article (from 2015) you linked says they will campaign for yes vote but in reality they didn't bother.

You really don't, but keep digging.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RyanCarlin/status/1043059302901211136

trailer

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 26, 2018, 01:02:17 PM

That's just false

Is this it? Ryan Carlin with a few selfies and pics of events AFTER the vote?

RedHand88

Quote from: trailer on September 26, 2018, 01:43:14 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on September 26, 2018, 01:02:17 PM

That's just false

Is this it? Ryan Carlin with a few selfies and pics of events AFTER the vote?

There is evidence there of referendum literature from Sinn Fein calling for a remain vote in the lead up to the referendum, photos of banners outside polling stations calling for a remain vote on referendum day.

Just keep diggin, just keep diggin....

armaghniac

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 26, 2018, 03:01:05 PM
There is evidence there of referendum literature from Sinn Fein calling for a remain vote in the lead up to the referendum, photos of banners outside polling stations calling for a remain vote on referendum day.

SF did a bit, but didn't over exert themselves, as the poor turnout in West Belfast shows.
I'm not sure that it makes a lot of difference.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trailer

Quote from: armaghniac on September 26, 2018, 03:12:08 PM

SF did a bit, but didn't over exert themselves, as the poor turnout in West Belfast shows.

It makes all the difference when they are saying that they are a Pro EU / Anti Brexit party.

RedHand88

Quote from: trailer on September 26, 2018, 03:30:22 PM

It makes all the difference when they are saying that they are a Pro EU / Anti Brexit party.

You don't have to be pro EU to think that having one part of the island inside the EU and one part out is an absolute disaster.

trailer

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 26, 2018, 03:52:42 PM
Quote from: trailer on September 26, 2018, 03:30:22 PM

You don't have to be pro EU to think that having one part of the island inside the EU and one part out is an absolute disaster.

You should tell SF as they don't appear to care.

mouview

Traffic chaos if no-deal crash-out.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/28/uk-no-deal-brexit-lorry-traffic-plan-could-leave-kent-in-chaos-for-14-days

At this moment, even if May can get Tory party support for Chequers, the EU will probably reject it. A Plan B might be accepted by the EU, but would be too soft for hard Brexiteers, who'd vote it down in the Commons. Indeed, it looks impossible that May can get any kind of deal through parliament as Labour would vote against it if it wouldn't maintain customs and free trade unions with the EU  (cf. recent party conference). No-deal exit by default looks the most plausible outcome currently. This would be too terrible for words for the UK, see above. A heave against May looks highly unlikely as the Brexiteers aren't strong enough to win and who else would want to inherit May's position? A General election might bring a change in government, resulting in a whole reset of the process, not impossible but time is against it with March 29 in 6 months time. Equally, there's probably no time for another referendum and how would the terms of it be couched? Remain, soft-exit, hard-exit?

To repeat, a hard-exit looks most likely, but surely not even the majority of the Tories are that dumb, are they?
My money, I'd say there'll be an extension of the deadline, followed by almost certainly a new Tory leader, probably a GE (and process reset), or slightly more unlikely a second referendum.

Ronnie

What chances of a stormont election before a general election followed by the 'people's parliament vote'?  Border issue sorted, leave sorted and terms of leave sorted?

Applesisapples

SF are between a rock and a hard place with Brexit, to campaign could be deemed getting involved in matters they consider purely British and not for an Irish political party to become involved in. there is also the no small matter of Brexit hastening a UI and upsetting those small n nationalists allude to in Patrick Kielty's fine reposte to Boris. Then we have Teresa May holding a party in 2022 which will divide NI and be seen as a celebration of partition...way to go ToryDUP.

screenexile

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 01, 2018, 01:23:53 PM
SF are between a rock and a hard place with Brexit, to campaign could be deemed getting involved in matters they consider purely British and not for an Irish political party to become involved in. there is also the no small matter of Brexit hastening a UI and upsetting those small n nationalists allude to in Patrick Kielty's fine reposte to Boris. Then we have Teresa May holding a party in 2022 which will divide NI and be seen as a celebration of partition...way to go ToryDUP.

It's economically bad for people North and South of the border . . . how exactly does that put Sinn Fein between a rock and a hard place??!!

thewobbler

Quote from: screenexile on October 01, 2018, 02:23:54 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on October 01, 2018, 01:23:53 PM

It's economically bad for people North and South of the border . . . how exactly does that put Sinn Fein between a rock and a hard place??!!

Aye, a rock and a hard place.

The rock being that if they continue to sit on their holes and do nothing, they'll still have a majority nationalist vote in the next election.

The hard place being that if they go campaigning, they'll have to spend time, money and effort, and maybe even have to come up with one of them strategy things. Yet the end result will be still the same at the next election.

——

Keep throwing away your vote folks. That's all they want you to do.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/foster-says-good-friday-agreement-is-not-untouchable-1.3648709

DUP leader Arlene Foster has said the Good Friday Agreement should not be considered untouchable in Brexit negotiations.

Speaking to the Daily Telegraph, Mrs Foster said it was not a sacrosanct piece of legislation.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU