Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: bigtogs on February 03, 2020, 11:45:42 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 03, 2020, 11:27:48 AM
I've no idea but he'll be there next year.

Partly as there is no outstanding candidate to actually take the job / Partly as he's there, as is my understanding until the day he wants to leave.

Injuries not helping at the minute that is for sure....

Yeah there's a fair few mitigating factors. In the past 3 or 4 years we have had 6 players receive allstars.

Peter Harte: Sunday was his first game back after an extended honeymoon and he was taken off during the second half. Will need time to get up to full fitness and form
Mattie Donnelly: Injured, not expected back until first round of the Ulster Championship at the earliest
Colm Cavanagh: Played most of the game on Sunday but is beginning to show his age especially when required to play as an orthodox midfielder (although was very good in the second half against Meath). Was moved into full forward in the second half on Sunday as he was on a yellow card
Padraig Hampsey: Injured, unsure of return date
Cathal McShane: Unavailable, move to the AFL on the cards
Ronan McNamee: Played the first half on Sunday. Came off after a head clash at the start of the second half when Tyrone were  1 point down.

These are our 6 main men, none of whom were firing on full cylinders on Sunday. Any team would struggle in these circumstances but we need other men to stand up, and quickly

southtyronegael

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 03, 2020, 11:47:48 AM
Quote from: southtyronegael on February 03, 2020, 11:33:13 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 03, 2020, 11:27:48 AM
I've no idea but he'll be there next year.

Partly as there is no outstanding candidate to actually take the job / Partly as he's there, as is my understanding until the day he wants to leave.
malachy o Rourke not outstanding?

You tell me. Unquestionable record at club level over a few counties. At county level, yes Monaghan certainly punched above their weight. He's got a few Ulster titles and an All Ireland Semi Final (beaten by Tyrone)? Probaby sounds as if I'm Pro Harte - certainly not but the next manager of Tyrone must be the right one.

O'Rourke the obvious candidate, but will he make this current set of players better than a Super 8 team? I wouldn't be sure - that's why I can see the county board happy to give it to Harte again to let him take the blame for their lack of ambition (and probably spending).
since when has harte took any blame? Roisin Jordan got shifted before harte did. I think the new manager has to be far removed from harte, no baggage, a clean break. In that regard o Rourke is perfect, county could really get behind him. Mc gleenan still an option in that regard I believe.

bannside

When O Rourke was at Fermanagh did he not draw an Ulster final with Armagh when they were still in their pomp? Surely that was a very creditable achievement too.

Mikhailov

First of all a managerial set up is needed to challenge MH position. That has not happened since 2003 and I can't see it this year either. When MH got the job in late 2002 he challenged the existing managerial set up and put his name forward. It was a messy affair and 2 legendary GAA Gaels in Tyrone were ousted from the position plus there was a bit of anger at the time regarding the whole situation. Can't see that type of thing happening for a few years yet - no word of any challengers imminent.

Christmas Lights

Mickey Harte should have the Tyrone job for as long as he see's fit.  The man has taken us to our 3 all Ireland titles FFS.  He's a Tyrone hero and legend.  He doesn't have near the calibre of player he had back when winning All Ireland's but he's still doing a damn good job working with what he has got.  He managed to get this group of players to an All Ireland final which was no mean feat.  In that final, Tyrone where beaten by the greatest football team there has even been.

There is NOBODY out there who could do a better job with the current Tyrone panel.  NOBODY.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: bannside on February 03, 2020, 01:07:52 PM
When O Rourke was at Fermanagh did he not draw an Ulster final with Armagh when they were still in their pomp? Surely that was a very creditable achievement too.

I agree - But if we are saying O'Rourke is to take over from Harte, are we just asking for that for change sake? I think everyone agrees time has probably caught up with Harte and to an extent Tyrone. I can't help but think of Tyrone a bit like Arsenal after Wenger though....is it going to get any better no matter who is in charge? I can't really say a new manager would push on the current crop to any better than they are now and that's just being totally honest. We don't have one player of real, real top class. I am counting McShane out as he's gone.

square_ball

Quote from: southtyronegael on February 03, 2020, 12:51:22 PM
Mc gleenan still an option in that regard I believe.

Come on STG just admit you were totally wrong in this one. MOR is a viable candidate. They couldn't wait to get rid of McGleenon in Cavan!

LeoMc

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 03, 2020, 01:39:51 PM
Quote from: bannside on February 03, 2020, 01:07:52 PM

I agree - But if we are saying O'Rourke is to take over from Harte, are we just asking for that for change sake? I think everyone agrees time has probably caught up with Harte and to an extent Tyrone. I can't help but think of Tyrone a bit like Arsenal after Wenger though....is it going to get any better no matter who is in charge? I can't really say a new manager would push on the current crop to any better than they are now and that's just being totally honest. We don't have one player of real, real top class. I am counting McShane out as he's gone.

A good post. The first question should be what do we want/expect from the new Manager?
A new playing style?
A better image in the press?
A new panel?

southtyronegael

Quote from: square_ball on February 03, 2020, 01:48:24 PM

Come on STG just admit you were totally wrong in this one. MOR is a viable candidate. They couldn't wait to get rid of McGleenon in Cavan!
yeah and Cavan have went backwards since he left. Mc gleenans Cavan ran tyrone to 3 points in qualifiers 2 years ago. Last year we beat Mickey Graham's Cavan by a cricket score. I'm not saying Mc gleenan is the answer, but worth considering, even as part of a management team.

southtyronegael

Quote from: Christmas Lights on February 03, 2020, 01:31:29 PM
Mickey Harte should have the Tyrone job for as long as he see's fit.  The man has taken us to our 3 all Ireland titles FFS.  He's a Tyrone hero and legend.  He doesn't have near the calibre of player he had back when winning All Ireland's but he's still doing a damn good job working with what he has got.  He managed to get this group of players to an All Ireland final which was no mean feat.  In that final, Tyrone where beaten by the greatest football team there has even been.

There is NOBODY out there who could do a better job with the current Tyrone panel.  NOBODY.
calm down Mickey. Tyrone have been beat 6 times in championship in last 2 years! 6 times!

Angelo

Quote from: southtyronegael on February 03, 2020, 02:04:52 PM
Quote from: Christmas Lights on February 03, 2020, 01:31:29 PM

calm down Mickey. Tyrone have been beat 6 times in championship in last 2 years! 6 times!

And made an All Ireland final in 2018 and a semi final in 2019.

I think it might be time for a change but I'm under no illusion that a new manager would bring us any further, we simply don't have the players right now.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

The Sweeper.com

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on February 03, 2020, 10:36:00 AM
Quote from: The Sweeper.com on February 03, 2020, 10:31:09 AM
Quote from: bigpackiechestout on February 03, 2020, 09:56:38 AM
Quote from: The Sweeper.com on February 03, 2020, 09:46:08 AM
Quote from: bigtogs on February 02, 2020, 09:51:12 PM
What do you all think of Mulgrew??

Not at the required standard unfortunately.

Decent Club footballer. But not up to County level.

Ben Mc Donnell the same.

But they always seem to feature for some reason. Strange ;) ;) ;)

Mulgrew falls into the growing category of someone who's been knocking around the Tyrone panel for 3 or 4 years now and doesn't seem to have improved any. Obviously injury hasn't helped in his case but what is he supposed to be? He's been tried out in the full forward line in a few games without ever giving the impression he can win his own ball and beat his man. And he doesn't seem to have the legs to be a wing forward working up and down.

On Ben, this is now his third year on the panel and I actually think he's an example of someone who has improved. He's carved out a niche for himself within the panel as a spoiler around the middle third, and he tends to keep it simple giving the impression he knows his limitations. He's never going to be a superstar but he's a solid squad player.

Where is Brian Kennedy at the minute? I was hoping this would be a big year for him where he would establish himself as our first choice midfielder ahead of Colm Cavanagh. Last year was his break out year at the age of 21 and he got plenty of game time and showed promise. We should be looking for him to kick on this season

I think there are better players in the county than Ben Mc Donnell and David Mulgrew who are not on the panel.

Yet they are consistently featuring in games for our county team.

Like who?

Lee Brennan
Connor Mc Aliskey
Johnny Munroe
Daire Gallagher
Ronan Nugent
Conor O Donnell

Some may have been there before and left of their own accord. But one maybe has to ask the question why.

square_ball

Quote from: southtyronegael on February 03, 2020, 02:01:29 PM
Quote from: square_ball on February 03, 2020, 01:48:24 PM

yeah and Cavan have went backwards since he left. Mc gleenans Cavan ran tyrone to 3 points in qualifiers 2 years ago. Last year we beat Mickey Graham's Cavan by a cricket score. I'm not saying Mc gleenan is the answer, but worth considering, even as part of a management team.

Cavan went backwards after getting to the Ulster Final the year after he left? You're 100% right he isn't the answer. It's like replacing Fergie with Moyes.

Angelo

Quote from: The Sweeper.com on February 03, 2020, 02:38:09 PM

Ben Mc Donnell the same.

Mulgrew falls into the growing category of someone who's been knocking around the Tyrone panel for 3 or 4 years now and doesn't seem to have improved any. Obviously injury hasn't helped in his case but what is he supposed to be? He's been tried out in the full forward line in a few games without ever giving the impression he can win his own ball and beat his man. And he doesn't seem to have the legs to be a wing forward working up and down.

On Ben, this is now his third year on the panel and I actually think he's an example of someone who has improved. He's carved out a niche for himself within the panel as a spoiler around the middle third, and he tends to keep it simple giving the impression he knows his limitations. He's never going to be a superstar but he's a solid squad player.

Where is Brian Kennedy at the minute? I was hoping this would be a big year for him where he would establish himself as our first choice midfielder ahead of Colm Cavanagh. Last year was his break out year at the age of 21 and he got plenty of game time and showed promise. We should be looking for him to kick on this season

I think there are better players in the county than Ben Mc Donnell and David Mulgrew who are not on the panel.

Like who?

Lee Brennan
Connor Mc Aliskey
Johnny Munroe
Daire Gallagher
Ronan Nugent
Conor O Donnell

Some may have been there before and left of their own accord. But one maybe has to ask the question why.

Brennan didn't cut it and dropped himself off the panel.
McAliskey and Munroe opted out, was Munroe not in Australia recently too?
O'Donnell must be well in his 30s and is no better than either of those, ditto Nugent and Gallagher.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

The Sweeper.com

Quote from: Angelo on February 03, 2020, 02:42:06 PM
Quote from: The Sweeper.com on February 03, 2020, 02:38:09 PM

Ben Mc Donnell the same.

Like who?

Lee Brennan
Connor Mc Aliskey
Johnny Munroe
Daire Gallagher
Ronan Nugent
Conor O Donnell

Brennan didn't cut it and dropped himself off the panel.
McAliskey and Munroe opted out, was Munroe not in Australia recently too?
O'Donnell must be well in his 30s and is no better than either of those, ditto Nugent and Gallagher.

All a matter of opinions then. Do you honestly believe either of these 2 players have cut it in a Tyrone Jersey?

In my eyes all are better than the two players on the panel.

Will take alot to convince me otherwise.