Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

statto

Quote from: snoopdog on March 30, 2024, 11:09:09 PMVery poor performance. Dissapointing leaving croke pk. That all too familiar feel of defeat. Westmeath showed that they've been playing at a higher level. They're very well set up defensively, Down didn't get a clear goal scoring chance at all. Westmeath had a few. Was Ryan Johnson injured? Massive loss tonight. Rory Mason should've been on much sooner, if not starting. He never let's the team Down. McGovern given a start was very poor.
McGovern showed poor awareness for the first goal ended up as last man totally caught ball watching, though O hare didn't cover himself in glory either. Downs lack of people able to kick the ball over the ball from thirty yards is worrying, continually ran the ball into blind alleys and passed up opportunities to take on responsibility.

ranch

Quote from: statto on March 31, 2024, 10:27:15 AM
Quote from: snoopdog on March 30, 2024, 11:09:09 PMVery poor performance. Dissapointing leaving croke pk. That all too familiar feel of defeat. Westmeath showed that they've been playing at a higher level. They're very well set up defensively, Down didn't get a clear goal scoring chance at all. Westmeath had a few. Was Ryan Johnson injured? Massive loss tonight. Rory Mason should've been on much sooner, if not starting. He never let's the team Down. McGovern given a start was very poor.
McGovern showed poor awareness for the first goal ended up as last man totally caught ball watching, though O hare didn't cover himself in glory either. Downs lack of people able to kick the ball over the ball from thirty yards is worrying, continually ran the ball into blind alleys and passed up opportunities to take on responsibility.

He looked like a nervous wreck throughout.

LosDodgers

I don't really blame O'Hare for the first goal. It's hard when the forward has a running jump, it's on McGovern to box him off and give the keeper a clean catch. Why was McGovern in that spot? But he fell asleep as part of an all round poor performance...strange that he was thrown in but hopefully he sticks at it and can have an impact the rest of the year.

I do feel O'Hare could have done better for second goal. His kick outs were decent but he really offers nothing coming out, just an extra body, I don't blame him here either as clearly that's not his game. If we are gonna insist ont at perhaps we need to try Marty Clarke or Anderson? Clarke giving time and space would be able to pick a pass...would also give us that elite free taker which we lack.

Overall a very disappointing result. Against a deep lying defense we couldn't penetrate, we need Havern, Murdock etc shooting from distance - pulls the defense out and creates space in behind then.

Kerr & Doc very good. No one else really had a good game

Nanderson

Has anyone else had issues getting on to the county website recently? My browser tells me they have invalid certificates and doesn't let me on

Splash

Was walking to Croke Park the other day, and walked past the National Handball Centre.

Anyone know much about the state of handball in Down?

Sandstorm

Quote from: Nanderson on April 02, 2024, 07:02:42 PMHas anyone else had issues getting on to the county website recently? My browser tells me they have invalid certificates and doesn't let me on
Hi Anderson, no I have no problem getting on.

marty34

Quote from: Splash on April 02, 2024, 09:58:32 PMWas walking to Croke Park the other day, and walked past the National Handball Centre.

Anyone know much about the state of handball in Down?

They have built a new one behind the car park at the Cusack Stand end.

Some set up now.

Not sure what they're doing with the old site.

Nanderson

Quote from: Sandstorm on April 02, 2024, 10:08:30 PM
Quote from: Nanderson on April 02, 2024, 07:02:42 PMHas anyone else had issues getting on to the county website recently? My browser tells me they have invalid certificates and doesn't let me on
Strange. I've tried a couple of different browsers and on my phone as well. Must be a problem on my end then

Square Ball

Quote from: Nanderson on April 03, 2024, 09:28:27 AM
Strange. I've tried a couple of different browsers and on my phone as well. Must be a problem on my end then

Working for me
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

TakeTheMark

Quote from: Nanderson on April 03, 2024, 09:28:27 AM

I have it too. On your phone, click advanced at the bottom then proceed to www.downgaa.net

Caitlin

Did Darragh Cross win their appeal to the DRA? What division will they play in ?

johnnycool

Quote from: Caitlin on April 05, 2024, 09:12:18 AMDid Darragh Cross win their appeal to the DRA? What division will they play in ?

They're in Div 4 according to the fixtures out for Friday night.

Mourne Red

Quote from: johnnycool on April 05, 2024, 10:43:55 AM
Quote from: Caitlin on April 05, 2024, 09:12:18 AMDid Darragh Cross win their appeal to the DRA? What division will they play in ?

They're in Div 4 according to the fixtures out for Friday night.

Think they lost the appeal - Dundrum and Drraghcross advertising the game for tonight

Saffrongael

Clonduff club getting it tight

Co Down GAA club calls for prayers for player Charlie Brown who is in induced coma after an assault

Irish News

Co Down GAA club that has faced tragedy in recent weeks is urging the public to pray for one of its players after he was seriously assaulted last weekend.

Clonduff GAC player Charlie Brown is in an induced coma in intensive care at Belfast's Royal Victoria Hospital after being assaulted in Rostrevor last Sunday night.

According to the PSNI, man aged in his twenties was attacked outside a pub in the Bridge Street area of the town at around 9pm.

It was reported that a he fell to the ground following an altercation and was taken to Newry's Daisy Hill Hospital, before being transferred to Belfast.

The injured party and his brother Eamon, both nephews of Down All-Ireland winner Mickey Linden, were part of the Ulster University side that won the Sigerson Cup in February.

The assault happened just a week after Clonduff lost another player, Lorcán Branagan, in a tragic accident in Australia.

In a post on social media, the Hilltown club called for prayers for the injured player.

In a Facebook post, the club said: "Please pray for our senior footballer Charlie Brown, who is currently in intensive care.

"We are keeping Charlie, the Brown & Linden Families, his team mates & friends in our prayers at this very worrying time.

Wishing Charlie a full & speedy recovery - you've got this Charlie."

Ulster University GAA also urged people to pray for their teammate, whose parents Aidan and Attracta are understood to be at his bedside.

"Ulster University GAA is asking for your thoughts and prayers for Charlie Brown and for all his family at this very worrying time. Charlie remains in intensive care in an induced coma after an assault. We pray that Charlie makes a full and speedy recovery," a statement said

The Clonduff club was plunged into grief last month after Lorcán Branagan died in a tragic accident in Sydney, Australia.

His former school, St Mark's in Warrenpoint, launched a fundraiser for the Kevin Bell Repatriation Trust in his memory.

It was the second tragedy for his family after the death of his brother Peárce Branagan (23) from a suspected heart attack in June 2018.

Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

TheBarrel

Is sledging still a significant issue in footballing circles? I mostly take in hurling when I get the chance but happened to go to the Downpatrick and St. John's Drumnaquoilr contest on Wednesday with my nephew. Some of the abuse was shameful. Really personal stuff being dished out which I heard first hand. No place for this in our games