Cavan Vs Westmeath

Started by Croí na hÉireann, June 25, 2014, 05:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Be afraid Cavan, be very afraid...

QuoteWestmeath manager Paul Bealin is in an upbeat mood ahead of his side's All-Ireland qualifier against Cavan at Breffni Park on Saturday afternoon.

Despite suffering relegation in the league and a defeat to Louth in the opening round of the Leinster SFC, Bealin is adamant that Westmeath will come out all guns blazing against Cavan this weekend.

"I'm naturally a positive and confident person and I want to win every game, just like our players," Bealin told the Westmeath Examiner.

"And we can all relate to any level of disappointment in the ranks among supporters. At the end of the day, we all want to see a very good Westmeath side and one which wins as often as it loses.

"But I also think people need to be realistic about what our largely young and inexperienced panel faced this year. I don't think any manager in the country, past or present, could have done much more for Westmeath in this year's league."
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

mylestheslasher

Martin Dunne - suspended injured
Cian Mackey - out injured
McVitty gone to the US

We just have not being playing that well either

I think Westmeath have a good chance in this game. I'm not sure we have the scoring power if Westmeath set up in a blanket defense.

rodney trotter

Fergal Flanagan also suspended
Killian Clarke in US and Ronan Flanagan travelling

Cavan scored 5-10 against Louth in a challenge game last weeekend so some fire power in the squad without Mackey and Dunne

shark

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 25, 2014, 05:28:18 PM
I think Westmeath have a good chance in this game. I'm not sure we have the scoring power if Westmeath set up in a blanket defense.

They won't though. Well certainly not a coherent, organised one. A pretty loose half back line has been what we've seen thus far.

From the Bunker

Looking forward to this one! Westmeath had a tough year in Division One. Cavan had allot their own way in Division Three! Both will be disappointed to lose to Louth and Armagh respectively in their Provincial Championships. To call it, I expect a Westmeath win.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 25, 2014, 09:05:06 PM
Looking forward to this one! Westmeath had a tough year in Division One. Cavan had allot their own way in Division Three! Both will be disappointed to lose to Louth and Armagh respectively in their Provincial Championships. To call it, I expect a Westmeath win.

Big call. This looks like the sort of game the Cea-hav-en boys can grind out a win by sitting back and choking the life out of the Westmeath attack.

Cavan are a good side that really shouldn't be losing so tamely to a team like Armagh so you'd expect some sort of response from them. Westmeath don't look like a team that have even left the traps this year.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 25, 2014, 05:10:06 PM

QuoteWestmeath manager Paul Bealin is in an upbeat mood ahead of his side's All-Ireland qualifier against Cavan at Breffni Park on Saturday afternoon.

Despite suffering relegation in the league and a defeat to Louth in the opening round of the Leinster SFC, Bealin is adamant that Westmeath will come out all guns blazing against Cavan this weekend.

"I'm naturally a positive and confident person and I want to win every game, just like our players," Bealin told the Westmeath Examiner.

"And we can all relate to any level of disappointment in the ranks among supporters. At the end of the day, we all want to see a very good Westmeath side and one which wins as often as it loses.

"But I also think people need to be realistic about what our largely young and inexperienced panel faced this year. I don't think any manager in the country, past or present, could have done much more for Westmeath in this year's league."

I like the quote "we all want to see a very good Westmeath side and one which wins as often as it loses"

Call me old fashioned, but I'd have thought you'd like to see one that wins more than it loses.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on June 25, 2014, 09:18:59 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 25, 2014, 09:05:06 PM

Big call. This looks like the sort of game the Cea-hav-en boys can grind out a win by sitting back and choking the life out of the Westmeath attack.

Cavan are a good side that really shouldn't be losing so tamely to a team like Armagh so you'd expect some sort of response from them. Westmeath don't look like a team that have even left the traps this year.

Ah, I don't know. I just don't fancy Cavan. Thought they were seriously over-rated last year. They beat a mixed up Armagh, Fermanagh x2, Derry after extra time and a give me London outfit in the last 12. Seen them in Croker v Kerry in the quarter final and they just looked like an under 21 team. Kerry were actually practicing their defensive structure for the Dubs in the second half. That said Westmeath are no world beaters either. I have inlaws in both camps so I'll be stirring the fire on this one. Nothing like see the inlaws fall out!

Jinxy

There are more Cavan lads in the States now than there were for the Polo Grounds.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 25, 2014, 09:47:38 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 25, 2014, 05:10:06 PM

I like the quote "we all want to see a very good Westmeath side and one which wins as often as it loses"

Call me old fashioned, but I'd have thought you'd like to see one that wins more than it loses.

You couldn't make it up. It was the last quote that nearly had me shaking the screen along with my head, no other manager in the history of the game could have done any better in the league. REALLY PAUL? If RTE are looking to do a follow up mocumentary to The Rod Squad they should follow this guy around for a while, starting to make Tommy Carr seem reasoned.

Westmeath won't be within an asses roar of Cavan, not withstanding the fact lads have high tailed it to the States and there are a couple of cruciate injuries, there is barely 15 bodies bothering to turn up for training.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Itchy

If the team Cavan named is the one that starts then this will be tight. I go for a narrow Cavan win by point or two.

babarino

Cavan need this to maintain whatever momentum they've gathered in the last few years, but I'd be very surprised if Westmeath don't win it. Then again I was surprised they were beaten by Louth, so they probably aren't side they were.

rodney trotter

Well they didn't pick up a point in Division 1, so that wouldn't have been great for their confidence. Higher League and all but continually losing is no good for moral.  I thought Divison 1 football was too soon for them when they were promoted.

Should be a close game today anyways, both neighbour Counties.

Itchy

Quote from: babarino on June 28, 2014, 10:12:51 AM
Cavan need this to maintain whatever momentum they've gathered in the last few years, but I'd be very surprised if Westmeath don't win it. Then again I was surprised they were beaten by Louth, so they probably aren't side they were.

"Very Surprised" jaysus but you are a bitter Monaghan p***k.

tommysmith

Quote from: Itchy on June 28, 2014, 10:22:58 AM
Quote from: babarino on June 28, 2014, 10:12:51 AM

"Very Surprised" jaysus but you are a bitter Monaghan p***k.

That's a bit harsh or have i missed something here?