Paddy O'Hara RIP

Started by Mourne Rover, August 16, 2008, 09:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

A minute's silence was observed at Croke Park today to mark the death of Paddy O'Hara, one of the great figures of the GAA in Ulster. Paddy had an incredible football career, starting off by winning an Ulster title with Antrim in 1946 and was one of the stars of the team which only lost narrowly and controversially to Kerry in the semi final. He also both played for and managed Queen's, and was in charge of the side which won the Sigerson for the first time in 1958. Many people feel that success was a big factor in Down's All Ireland break-through two years later.

Amazingly, Paddy went on to manage six of the nine Ulster counties at senior level. He was particularly well regarded during his time with Down in the mid-1960s, and, if an internal row which led to his resignation had been avoided, he might well have won an All Ireland there.

Paddy was later the main GAA commentator with the BBC, and was also a regular with RTE. He retired to live in the west of Ireland, and had been in poor health in recent years, but he will always be remembered as a true legend of the game.

FermGael

Managed the Fermanagh 1959 All Ireland junior winning team.
R.I.P
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

aontroim

R.I.P. an Antrim great from the past

orangeman

Very sad to hear about Paddy - a REAL GAA man - a true Gael.

saffron sam2

A great man, as enthusiastic about football, particularly Antrim and Queen's, in his latter years as he was in his playing days.

RIP
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Rufus T Firefly

Agree with the sentiments expressed here. Growing up and in the days before live GAA coverage on TV, Paddy O'Hara's name was synonymous with media coverage of Ulster GAA.

May He Rest In Peace

T Fearon

He never forgot anyone either. When my late brother died (13 years after leaving Queens) Paddy journeyed twice from Belfast in 24 hours, for the removal and the funeral the next day, gestures that were greatly appreciated at the time and will never be forgotten.