Quote from: Rossfan on August 12, 2019, 12:46:01 PM
1 Dublin (or Kerry)

2 Kerry (or Dublin)
3 Mayowestros (won NFL)
4 Tyrone
5 Donegal ( 3 pts in QF Group)
6 Ros.
7 to 10 in some order Cavan,  Cork, Meath, Galway

On what basis could you rank Tyrone above Donegal this year?

If its the fact they made a semi and Donegal only got three Super 8 points instead of Tyrone's eight, Tyrone came out of an easier group than Donegal. Add to that, they also lost, very convincingly, to them in Ulster.

Fact is, all those teams in that group (way) below Dublin can beat each other and are probably all going to lose by the guts of ten points to Dublin.

Rossfan

In the absence of play offs to determine places that's my opinion.
Like ourselves Donegal need to reach an AI SF to be classed as top 4.
As if now there's only a Top 1 unless Kerry surprisingly upset the apple cart.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

redzone

Quote from: J70 on August 12, 2019, 01:19:46 PM
1 Dublin (or Kerry)

2 Kerry (or Dublin)
3 Mayowestros (won NFL)
4 Tyrone
6 Ros.

If its the fact they made a semi and Donegal only got three Super 8 points instead of Tyrone's eight, Tyrone came out of an easier group than Donegal. Add to that, they also lost, very convincingly, to them in Ulster.

Fact is, all those teams in that group (way) below Dublin can beat each other and are probably all going to lose by the guts of ten points to Dublin.
Donegal were a div 2 team this year don't forget. Had a great year all the same

Keyser soze

Surreal atmosphere for an All Ireland semi when you can hear the players shouting at each other from the stand.

Maurice Deegan should be nowhere near a football field. running 50 metres to award frees for off the ball holding and 2 minutes later standing watching Harte being bear hugged right in front of him and taking no action. 

seafoid

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 12, 2019, 12:13:55 PM
QuoteIs Rory Gallagher free

Oh sweet Jesus - I would rather see the late great guitarist in line as a replacement instead of the living version.
But then, not being from Tyrone, can I have a view.

I do think Mickey's time is well up at this stage and, while I do see juice's point that change for change sake is not a good enough reason, I do think there must be a dream team out of there of former AI winners that could improve things.
Me too. Mickey has no more ideas . He has earned his place in the Tyrone pantheon and should make way for someone who can bring the team on.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 11, 2019, 10:50:05 PM
We lost that game today due to unforced errors, which are simply unacceptable at this level, if we have serious designs on the bigger prizes. You cannot gift the opposition possession, simple as.

The Ref was poor, very poor, but not the ultimate difference in the end.

Ciarraí, alas, will probably not provide stiff enough opposition to the Dubs in the Final, though stranger things have happened, but the Dubs won't make the same unbidden mistakes as we did, not a chance.

Nobody should be surprised about the defeat and the manner of it. The happy clapper element of the Tyrone posters on here had a go at me a few weeks for stating that Tyrone would unravel as soon as a decent team asked a few questions of them. That's exactly what happened, again, in the second half on Sunday. This team was built on a ultra defensive model which was blown out of the water and Mickey has since blundered back and forth in the hope of finding something that works. The team is tactically confused and its no wonder that they don't know what to do when they they are put under pressure. Mickey will always be a legend in Tyrone but he has held this current crop back, he should have called it a day a while back and given somebody else a shot.

Whishtup

Quote from: J70 on August 12, 2019, 02:41:40 AM
Quote from: Whishtup on August 11, 2019, 10:55:45 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 10, 2019, 02:08:56 PM
Quote from: Whishtup on August 10, 2019, 09:10:24 AM
If Deegan does act the ballix and we win, it will be good practise for the final.  I still maintain that niaivity cost us the final last year. When 5-6 points up Col Cav was remonstrating with the ref about a (Dublin trademark) 3rd man crossing type obstruction that prevented him from making a tackle in the lead up to a point.  I think the Dubs got another point when he was still out of position.  Shortly after, you had 3 of our lads disputing a Dublin mark when the Dubs were up the field scoring a goal.  This is the part of this team's psyche that will lose them the big games if it isn't addressed.  Need to stay focussed for every second no matter what the other team or the ref do.

Very true, we need to keep that imperturbable focus and discipline, regardless of what else is going on, with the ref and otherwise.
Feck it.  Sludden fell into the trap and then we imploded after the other free Kerry points. I suppose keeping the head is easier said than done when you are faced with the smiling assassin!

The lack of ruthlessness in the first half, I.e. lash in a few goals, cost us.  Think the team underestimated Kerry with one eye on the final.  Good luck Kerry-hope your forwards shine on the big day.  For Tyrone, keep funnelling through the u21's and we'll be up there every year, you can't ask for more than that under the current setup.

Why on earth would Tyrone underestimate Kerry or have one eye on the final?

What have Tyrone done to justify such an attitude, assuming complacency was a factor?

At half time Kerry looked Bate-losing it all over the field-possible reason to get distracted by thoughts of the final.
Eh, reach the final last year and come close to the Dubs near the end-beat and rattle them in the league?  Be ambitious?-is this allowed?

BennyCake

Quote from: seafoid on August 12, 2019, 03:37:09 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 12, 2019, 12:13:55 PM
QuoteIs Rory Gallagher free

Oh sweet Jesus - I would rather see the late great guitarist in line as a replacement instead of the living version.
But then, not being from Tyrone, can I have a view.

I do think Mickey's time is well up at this stage and, while I do see juice's point that change for change sake is not a good enough reason, I do think there must be a dream team out of there of former AI winners that could improve things.
Me too. Mickey has no more ideas . He has earned his place in the Tyrone pantheon and should make way for someone who can bring the team on.

Harte has become the GAA's Arsene Wenger.

I think he is already doing damage to his legacy in Tyrone.

greatpoint

1 Dublin (or Kerry)

2 Kerry (or Dublin)
3 Mayowestros (won NFL)
4 Tyrone
6 Ros.

Tyrone played Dublin, Kerry, Donegal this year in the Championship and were beaten well in each game. Only for their qualifier and Super 8 draw it's likely they would have been knocked out earlier. Can't see them in any top 4.

dublin7

Quote from: Whishtup on August 12, 2019, 03:56:40 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 12, 2019, 02:41:40 AM
Quote from: Whishtup on August 11, 2019, 10:55:45 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 10, 2019, 02:08:56 PM
Quote from: Whishtup on August 10, 2019, 09:10:24 AM
If Deegan does act the ballix and we win, it will be good practise for the final.  I still maintain that niaivity cost us the final last year. When 5-6 points up Col Cav was remonstrating with the ref about a (Dublin trademark) 3rd man crossing type obstruction that prevented him from making a tackle in the lead up to a point.  I think the Dubs got another point when he was still out of position.  Shortly after, you had 3 of our lads disputing a Dublin mark when the Dubs were up the field scoring a goal.  This is the part of this team's psyche that will lose them the big games if it isn't addressed.  Need to stay focussed for every second no matter what the other team or the ref do.

Very true, we need to keep that imperturbable focus and discipline, regardless of what else is going on, with the ref and otherwise.
Feck it.  Sludden fell into the trap and then we imploded after the other free Kerry points. I suppose keeping the head is easier said than done when you are faced with the smiling assassin!

The lack of ruthlessness in the first half, I.e. lash in a few goals, cost us.  Think the team underestimated Kerry with one eye on the final.  Good luck Kerry-hope your forwards shine on the big day.  For Tyrone, keep funnelling through the u21's and we'll be up there every year, you can't ask for more than that under the current setup.

Why on earth would Tyrone underestimate Kerry or have one eye on the final?

What have Tyrone done to justify such an attitude, assuming complacency was a factor?

At half time Kerry looked Bate-losing it all over the field-possible reason to get distracted by thoughts of the final.
Eh, reach the final last year and come close to the Dubs near the end-beat and rattle them in the league?  Be ambitious?-is this allowed?

After the first 15 min Tyrone never got close to the Dublin in last years final. They won that game pulling up. Dublin's attitude to the league this year was basically just fill the fixtures. They didn't even bother to introduce the mark and other league rules into their training during the league.

If Tyrone had won yesterday you could have presented Sam to Cluxton in the Hogan Stand afterwards (That at least might have drawn a crowd) They have figured out how to beat the blanket a long time ago and the final would have been another stroll in the park.

Tyrone need to find a new approach to be a real contender but Mickey Harte isn't going to change his playing philosophy at this stage of his managerial career. If he doesn't step down (and based on his post match interview on Newstalk he has no intention of doing so) would there be a willingness to force the issue in Tyrone given his service and previous success?

t_mac

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 12, 2019, 12:21:27 PM
Quote from: t_mac on August 12, 2019, 12:20:18 PM
Quote from: thejuice on August 12, 2019, 12:13:24 PM
Top 4 = semifinalists obviously.

Not with the qualifier system, Tyrone had a handy run and a handy group - Donegal hammered them in the Ulster Semi.

Which team who didn't get to the semi finals are better

The team that beat Tyrone i'd say but got the harder group.

t_mac

Quote from: J70 on August 12, 2019, 01:19:46 PM
1 Dublin (or Kerry)

2 Kerry (or Dublin)
3 Mayowestros (won NFL)
4 Tyrone
6 Ros.

Nail on head.

Whishtup

How can you say that Tyrone never got close in the final? This is a team that regularly hammers teams by 10-20 points and there was 4 in it with 5 minutes to go with Tyrone launching balls into the danger area and missing the target.  This horse shit of Dublin winning pulling up is a fanciful notion that I'd say the Dublin players themselves would strongly agree with.  Tyrone are around 2nd-3rd in the Country on championship form. Some people struggle to swallow this fact. Mayo are gone-Donegal aren't there yet and Tyrone Kerry will battle it out over the next few years with the kick of a ball between them.

greatpoint

Quote from: Whishtup on August 12, 2019, 05:16:34 PMTyrone are around 2nd-3rd in the Country on championship form. Some people struggle to swallow this fact.

It's nowhere near a fact, why are you doing this to yourself? The victory over Roscommon was their biggest result this season and they haven't beaten a big team in Croke Park in 10 years now.

lenny

Quote from: greatpoint on August 12, 2019, 05:26:41 PM
Quote from: Whishtup on August 12, 2019, 05:16:34 PMTyrone are around 2nd-3rd in the Country on championship form. Some people struggle to swallow this fact.

It's nowhere near a fact, why are you doing this to yourself? The victory over Roscommon was their biggest result this season and they haven't beaten a big team in Croke Park in 10 years now.

Tyrone were in complete control of that game until halftime. The reason they didn't win was what I had predicted on here on saturday, ie deep down and maybe even subconsciously their players couldn't bear the thought of being humiliated by dublin again. Better to lose respectably in the semifinals.