The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laois Rising

I think Merman makes a very good point. A talented underage team by Laois standards who do everything right could still easily fall short to a Kilkenny, Dublin or Wexford side in the Leinster championship. These counties are picking from a bigger pool of players and are always well coached at this level. If Laois are properly competitive in their games against these teams then the year will be a success.

It is very positive to hear that McGrath is taking the sessions and the players will benefit immensely for that. There is big turnouts at training and players are showing the requisite commitment. What more can you ask of lads in December.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Batman!!! on December 15, 2019, 12:26:13 PM
My source tells me only for Derek McGrath it would be a shambles

This would be surprising. I have been very impressed with the Laois minor set up for quite a number of years. They have the same training facilities as a senior set up with all the supports you would expect from a nutrition, physio, transport and physical conditioning perspective. Last years setup under Enda Lyons for example was very impressive. Even when we had teams that not much was expected the setup was of a high standard. Derek McGrath might be bringing freshness to the hurling itself but to paint a picture that the approach would have been a disaster without him is unfair. 

Helix.

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on December 16, 2019, 02:26:27 PM

This would be surprising. I have been very impressed with the Laois minor set up for quite a number of years. They have the same training facilities as a senior set up with all the supports you would expect from a nutrition, physio, transport and physical conditioning perspective. Last years setup under Enda Lyons for example was very impressive. Even when we had teams that not much was expected the setup was of a high standard. Derek McGrath might be bringing freshness to the hurling itself but to paint a picture that the approach would have been a disaster without him is unfair. 

Hopefully they give a good account of themselves. Hopefully Derek McGrath's brains can be picked to help in any shape or form for player's development across the ages.

I see potentially Ballypickas look to be pulling away from Raheen Parish Gaels at juvenile level and joining with Ballinakill underage. Leaves 1-2 teams short in numbers however but logistical point of view would make sense.

clonadmad

Quote from: Helix. on December 16, 2019, 02:52:55 PM
Quote from: blueandwhite1 on December 16, 2019, 02:26:27 PM

Hopefully they give a good account of themselves. Hopefully Derek McGrath's brains can be picked to help in any shape or form for player's development across the ages.

I see potentially Ballypickas look to be pulling away from Raheen Parish Gaels at juvenile level and joining with Ballinakill underage. Leaves 1-2 teams short in numbers however but logistical point of view would make sense.

It's that time of year when the bed hopping starts

In the last 2 years

Ballinakill have been in with Ratheniska and Abbeyleix at Juvenile level.

Each a short term marriage of convenience which doesn't do anyone any favors

If the juvenile board were any use,only amalgamations with a minimum 3/5  year term should be allowed 

SpeculativeEffort

ClonadMad its something the GDA seem to be eager to tackle. Clubs should take advice from these people as they are objective and have no vested interests in the clubs they are dealing with.

clonadmad

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on December 16, 2019, 04:34:16 PM
ClonadMad its something the GDA seem to be eager to tackle. Clubs should take advice from these people as they are objective and have no vested interests in the clubs they are dealing with.

The power resides with the Coiste na Nog committee on the county board,the GDA's and clubs can suggest all they want,the decision resides with them and one man in particular.

clonadmad

Derek McGrath coaching Faythe Harriers

You'd wonder how he's going to coach our minors with a Wexford senior team

merman

Quote from: clonadmad on January 12, 2020, 08:25:17 PM

According to some on here, Derek McGrath must he finishing up shortly as he is only involved on a limited basis..........

Faythe Harriers posted the following on their Facebook page:

The Club is delighted to announce that Tony 'Sack' Walsh will manage our senior hurling team for the coming year 2020. We want to wish Tony and his management team the very best of luck for the year ahead. They will be supported by Derek McGrath who will be providing back up support and advice on certain occasions throughout the year. Derek's involvement is limited throughout the year as we understand his full commitment lies with the Laois minors. In saying that we are excited to have someone of Derek's calibre involved. Safe to say we are in steady hands and look forward to the year ahead.

clonadmad

Quote from: merman on January 12, 2020, 09:16:57 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on January 12, 2020, 08:25:17 PM

According to some on here, Derek McGrath must he finishing up shortly as he is only involved on a limited basis..........

Faythe Harriers posted the following on their Facebook page:

The Club is delighted to announce that Tony 'Sack' Walsh will manage our senior hurling team for the coming year 2020. We want to wish Tony and his management team the very best of luck for the year ahead. They will be supported by Derek McGrath who will be providing back up support and advice on certain occasions throughout the year. Derek's involvement is limited throughout the year as we understand his full commitment lies with the Laois minors. In saying that we are excited to have someone of Derek's calibre involved. Safe to say we are in steady hands and look forward to the year ahead.

He's getting close to a 5 figure tax free sum for his back up support and advice with them

Keyser Söze

That's a most unusual statement from Faythe Harriers!
I've never seen a statement go so far to assuage the possible concerns of a totally unconnected group (Laois GAA).
Bizarre!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

redsetanta

I see where Birr beat Mountrath CS by 9 or 10 points in the senior B final. Anybody at the game? Any potential for the senior team?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Mad Mentor

It's a pity to see the Feile has been cancelled this year. I know in the grand scheme of things it is not life or death, but it's like your last year as a minor - you can't repeat it. Speaking of which, I hope this year is not a wash out. A lot of time and effort has been put into our county minor hurlers and we probably have the most talented squad we have had for years.

Laois Rising

I can see most championships revert to straight knock-out when we do resume playing games ahead in order to clear the back log of games. It would be a real pity if this Laois team is deprived an opportunity to have a proper crack at beating one of the counties higher up the food-chain in Leinster. 

redsetanta

It would be just our luck. But as the fella says 'we are where we are'.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

SpeculativeEffort

This could be a good chance to move back to u18 for minor and u21 instead of u20. Both switches have been a failure anyway and it would ensure young players dont miss out.