Laois Hurling Manager 2019

Started by G@@, July 20, 2018, 01:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

Who did ye want boys, Cody? Davy?

The lack of a Laois candidate is what disappoints me the worst.

merman

Quote from: Don Draper on August 09, 2018, 11:19:08 AM
Who did ye want boys, Cody? Davy?

The lack of a Laois candidate is what disappoints me the worst.

His management team is crucial.
Hopefully there's a strong Laois presence.

Delaney would have been my first choice; I hope he takes up the offer of coming in with Eddie Brennan. He'd add a lot to the set-up and would hopefully be the man to step in a couple of years down the line.

As an aside, I see plenty of people hoping that Brennan can get our 'best players' back in....who are we really missing??

Aaron Dunphy
Ciaran Collier
Dwane Palmer
Ronan Broderick

Can't see too many more missing unless we're going back to lads with a lot of miles on the clock.

Don Draper

redsetanta

What has Delaney been offered?

It would be good to see someone like Delaney in there with Eddie Brennan.

Zane would hardly come back in would he?

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Keyser Söze

Quote from: merman on August 09, 2018, 12:23:29 PM

Can't see too many more missing unless we're going back to lads with a lot of miles on the clock.

You neee subs too.
Not impossible to think that Zane could do what Shane Dowling does for Limerick.
Even Willie Hyland who is still of an age where it's possible. There would be nothing wrong IMO with creating a small older group within the panel and managing their training load appropriately.
But I do think the plan would have to be to stick to using them
As impact subs and not as central players.
Can both build for the future & make use of best resources.
Imagine introducing Willie & Zane with 10-15 mins to go in games and having them float between FF & HF line.
Maybe I'm dreaming!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

redsetanta

Jack Nolan is very enthusiastic about the appointment anyway. As he says an 8 time AI winner with a modern outlook on the game and with probable aspirations to manage the KK seniors in the future. If the Laois hurlers can't buy into that? If his managerial ability comes close to his ability as a player then he could be a great match for Laois. Worked in Portlaoise for a long time so would have an insight to the Laois psyche and has to be well aware of the Laois hurling scene.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

portlaoisekid

Good appointment and hopefully Laois hurling gets behind this appointment and cuts the crap of inbred negativity that surrounds us all about Laois hurling.

Eddie Brennan is nobodys fool, he is not here for the money .He will improve hurling here if we as a county back him and his mgt team.

steven seagal

Hopefully we get a few good selectors in with him. In both football and hurling it's been a battle to get Laois men to commit to being selectors, you'd have to imagine there are few lads out there that would be interested in working with him. Maybe Jackman, even though he was on the selection committee, could be an option. He's coaching down with Castlecomer and seems to be big into that side of things. Might be no harm to have him involved. Arien Delaney either, if he was open to it.

Brennan will get the chance to see every senior team in the championship at least twice now too, which will help him get a handle on what's out there in the county. He might be enough of a draw to keep Healy commuting for another year as well, although we can't keep expecting him to do that. I don't know how he's done it this long.

I hope it goes well, best of luck to him.

Unlaoised

Should create a buzz in the Hurling seen but has he got the quality to work with?
LAOIS ABÚ

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: merman on August 09, 2018, 12:23:29 PM
... I hope he [Delaney] takes up the offer of coming in with Eddie Brennan. He'd add a lot to the set-up and would hopefully be the man to step in a couple of years down the line.
I like this scenario.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Ogie

Any date for ratification of Eddie Brennan as manager or his back room team??
Don't believe Delaney is interested as going in as a coach having put his hand up for managers job

redsetanta

Surely with all the media speculation and the fact we are at the knockout stages of the championship this should be ratified. There has been silence since it was announced. Has anyone asked Brennan publicly since his name was put forward?

redsetanta

I see where Jack Nolan is saying it's a done deal.

Downtheroad

The clubs have to be consulted. Appointment to be  confirmed at September meeting.