NFL Div 3

Started by Catch and Kick, January 16, 2019, 10:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Carlow 0-09
Longford 1-11

Longford good value for their win. Carlow will need to seriously look at themselves. Playing a weakened Longford side they decided to play the ball across the pitch back and forth instead of playing man on man where they would surely have won - esp with the strong wind in the first half.

Longford got their goal from a pumped in ball (with the wind) as well as a point that hopped over the bar. Indeed the official match report should put down the scorer as 'An Gaoithe'

We did get the breaks - Carlow missed a penalty - but nobody from Carlow was complaining at the end.

I think we are safe now, barring a disaster - so if we get within a sniff of promotion then that's a bonus.

Down coming to Longford in 2 weeks time but, before that, the Trip to Tipp.

Croí na hÉireann

Awful football on view in Newry on Saturday night, lovely little stadium though and the locals couldn't have been sounder. Westmeath have gone back to one of their old failings where they always look to take a solo before getting their heads up whereas Down's first inclination was to move the ball on. Was no surprise that a Tally team got 15 behind the ball but after playing Carlow a couple of times already we should be more proficient at playing against this system. The GAA trialled the wrong rule around the handpass, they should have trialled keeping at least 4 bodies inside the oppositions 65 at all times. The crowds are going to fall completely through the floor if this style of football becomes common place.

Westmeath have only themselves to blame though, they missed a penalty (was a great save in fairness) and spurned numerous goal and point chances. Strange league so far, we could easily be on 6 points as be on 0 points. 2 weeks to take stock now ahead of Laois.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Mourne Rover

Croí na hÉireann is completely right about the poor spectacle which county football regularly offers. The restriction on hand passes was probably dropped too soon although it may not have ultimately proved practical.  The next option may well be keeping three men in the opposition half, as the evidence over dropping attendances is truly alarming.

Saturday night in Newry was a fairly typical offering, although it did get exciting in the closing stages when the contest was up for grabs. Westmeath should have been well clear at the break but used their extra player poorly and Tally's game management was exemplary in the second half.

While Down are in a reasonable position in a very tight division, we could just as easily have zero points at this stage.  There are six sides in contention for promotion and it is likely to go to the wire.

LooseCannon

Quote from: Mourne Rover on February 11, 2019, 11:54:58 AM
Croí na hÉireann is completely right about the poor spectacle which county football regularly offers. The restriction on hand passes was probably dropped too soon although it may not have ultimately proved practical.  The next option may well be keeping three men in the opposition half, as the evidence over dropping attendances is truly alarming.

Saturday night in Newry was a fairly typical offering, although it did get exciting in the closing stages when the contest was up for grabs. Westmeath should have been well clear at the break but used their extra player poorly and Tally's game management was exemplary in the second half.

While Down are in a reasonable position in a very tight division, we could just as easily have zero points at this stage.  There are six sides in contention for promotion and it is likely to go to the wire.
Whereas arguably, we should have 6, we only have one.🤬🤬🤬
Bottled it v Westmeath
"          " v Louth
Should've won v Longford, by all accounts.

seafoid

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 11, 2019, 10:14:04 AM
Awful football on view in Newry on Saturday night, lovely little stadium though and the locals couldn't have been sounder. Westmeath have gone back to one of their old failings where they always look to take a solo before getting their heads up whereas Down's first inclination was to move the ball on. Was no surprise that a Tally team got 15 behind the ball but after playing Carlow a couple of times already we should be more proficient at playing against this system. The GAA trialled the wrong rule around the handpass, they should have trialled keeping at least 4 bodies inside the oppositions 65 at all times. The crowds are going to fall completely through the floor if this style of football becomes common place.

Westmeath have only themselves to blame though, they missed a penalty (was a great save in fairness) and spurned numerous goal and point chances. Strange league so far, we could easily be on 6 points as be on 0 points. 2 weeks to take stock now ahead of Laois.

It is an awful mess

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/gaa-should-have-restricted-players-to-just-one-handpass-reckons-dr-pat-oneill-900749.html

"The modern game wants the handpass and those that are making the rules and are responsible for them being implemented have conceded that.
"Being of the old school, I have to think there's far too much handpassing. This was an opportunity to restrict it and return to what the game  is supposed to be — football. It's so much like European Handball now."
As a regular Croke Park matchgoer, O'Neill was alarmed by what he saw last season. "I would go to most of the Championship matches in Croke Park, not just the Dublin games, and I was never as bored as much at a game in my life as I was last summer.
"Some of those games were very pedestrian and they are following a soccer trend when it's so possession-based.
"A different strategy is needed to entertain the public because over the weekend I saw the TV viewing figures from last year and rugby games are higher than the GAA's. When you think that Gaelic football and hurling are our national games and reflect the wider community, that's worrying.

And the former Fancy Dan

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/both-teams-play-better-into-the-wind-as-galway-beat-monaghan-1.3788828
Walsh, pleased to have got the trauma of the previous week's cuffing in Croke Park out of their system, was frank when asked afterwards about the concept of a team's duty to entertain.
"With the amount of work that goes into this now, people are pushing the rules to the limits to the areas where you can take it to - I'm not talking about physicality here, I'm talking about the rules. That's life, if the opinion is that you just want to entertain then that's fine too but you have to try and get results."

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Billys Boots

What's "European Handball"? 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

seafoid

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 12, 2019, 09:33:24 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handball
Handball (also known as team handball, European handball or Olympic handball)[2] is a team sport in which two teams of seven players each (six outcourt players and a goalkeeper) pass a ball using their hands with the aim of throwing it into the goal of the other team. A standard match consists of two periods of 30 minutes, and the team that scores the most goals wins.

The ratio of hand passes to kicks was 3.5:1 in the 2018 all Ireland championship so it's not that far off
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

magpie seanie

I think you can see that things are moving on at the top level. Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, Monaghan and others are playing good football. The Galways, Fermanaghs and Carlows will catch on eventually but I think Galway especially are a real shame as they have to players to be a really good team if they had a proper tactical approach.

Dinny Breen

Use to play it in school, very enjoyable game to play.
#newbridgeornowhere

Billys Boots

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 12, 2019, 11:13:38 AM

I would always have known it as Olympic Handball.  And i would never have considered it boring.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 12, 2019, 11:24:06 AM

I would always have known it as Olympic Handball.  And i would never have considered it boring.

Same as,. Probably a reflection on our poor facilities but as a country we don't seem to embrace indoor team sports the same way as our European Brethren.
#newbridgeornowhere

Billys Boots

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 12, 2019, 11:34:33 AM

Same as,. Probably a reflection on our poor facilities but as a country we don't seem to embrace indoor team sports the same way as our European Brethren.

Must be the fantastic weather ...

You can play Futsal, Olympic Handball and Basketball in any hall - should be easier to play (and involve numbers in) these sports at school level than any field sports, if we're honest, if we're to get kids active in sports. 

magpie seanie

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 12, 2019, 12:52:25 PM

You can play Futsal, Olympic Handball and Basketball in any hall - should be easier to play (and involve numbers in) these sports at school level than any field sports, if we're honest, if we're to get kids active in sports.

Absolutely loved playing basketball in my youth, great sport. I'm even playing a bit of Pella indoors...great craic. Loved Olympic Handball but only got to play it a couple of times. On a student exchange in France it was the lunchtime game of choice for everyone except the north Africans. The north Africans played basketball...joined them too.

Billys Boots

They're all great games, to be honest - have used Olympic Handball in coaching to emphasize moving into position to receive a pass or to generate an opportunity for a team-mate to pass, but it's a great game in its own right.  Played a lot of basketball in my youth as well, another great game. 

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 12, 2019, 12:52:25 PM

100% agree with this. Is there too much emphasis in a lot schools particularly secondary schools on the big 4 field sports?
#newbridgeornowhere